• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Opinions Wanted: Anti-lock Brakes

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Some vehicles stop a hell of a lot better with ABS.
I read a review of the 2004 Spec-V with the Brembo package, and without the ABS the car would lock a wheel at total random when braking hard, leading to unsafe stopping. With the ABS with stopped just as well as the G35 with the Brembo package.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
Some vehicles stop a hell of a lot better with ABS.
I read a review of the 2004 Spec-V with the Brembo package, and without the ABS the car would lock a wheel at total random when braking hard, leading to unsafe stopping. With the ABS with stopped just as well as the G35 with the Brembo package.
I think the Brembo part has more to do with the better braking performance than the ABS part. ;)

Cheers ... Ian :)

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lurker

By the same logic, why don't all cars come with 14" Brembo rotors and calipers with 6 pot calipers :)

Because Brembo Doesn't make nearly as many as Magna does for Chrysler.

All it takes is one compnay to say we're putting disc brakes standard on all models and the other companies would have to follow suit

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mike Richards

All it takes is one compnay to say we're putting disc brakes standard on all models and the other companies would have to follow suit

Then that company's base model would be $1500 more than the competition and fewer people would buy them.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
Then that company's base model would be $1500 more than the competition and fewer people would buy them.
See, that's the thing. Disc brakes are definetly better, but to the economic consumer, who cares more about price than performance, the extra cost associated with them would just convince them to buy a different vehicle.

Ask the average buyer of an economy car what type of brakes the vehicle uses, and I bet 90% of them won't know, and won't care.

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream

Ask the average buyer of an economy car what type of brakes the vehicle uses, and I bet 90% of them won't know, and won't care.

The Mazda 3 has discs. :)

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
I think the Brembo part has more to do with the better braking performance than the ABS part. ;)

You missed what I said. You can get the Brembo kit on the vehicle WITH or WITHOUT ABS. Without, the vehicle doesn't stop right at all. With, it stops hella fast. So in the case of that vehicle, the ABS makes the car safer to drive.

That being said, I don't really care for ABS. My CRX never had it and I liked it just fine personally.

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
Ahh , Zeal Endless 6 pot (f) and 4 pot (R) calipers , ceramic slotted rotters (355mm f , 325 mm r ) 2 piece , and CC-R pads .

Stainless brake lines , Motul fluid .

This is better than ABS . A little more money perhaps .

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rswbrixton
Ahh , Zeal Endless 6 pot (f) and 4 pot (R) calipers , ceramic slotted rotters (355mm f , 325 mm r ) 2 piece , and CC-R pads .

Endless make sick fucking equipment. Expensive, but well worth it.

I'm rocking KVR drilled rotors w/ KVR Carbon Fibre Composite pads right now. I don't really want to spend the coin on a full Big Brake Kit because I'll have to upgrade my rims too. :\

Maybe after the Turbo goes in then I'll look at it. ;)

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
I'm rocking KVR drilled rotors w/ KVR Carbon Fibre Composite pads right now. I don't really want to spend the coin on a full Big Brake Kit because I'll have to upgrade my rims too. :\
I had KVRs before for my MX-3. They are good value for the money, but not quite Brembos. But much better than stock.

The only big-brake kit I can find for my for my car requires 19"+ rims. :(

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
you can so get them to include abs at no extra charge... you just need to know how to negotiate.
anything can be negotiated and there is no such thing as a set price. do some research and find out the dealer cost of the car and haggle from there.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rswbrixton

Nice setup. All I have are Brembo slotted rotors and Hawk HP+ pads...

Balzz

TRIBE Member
^^^ nice :)

You gonna finally run some autocross this year, PUNK?!!

I'm planning to! I'll actually have time for it this year. Are you volunteering to be my auto-x buddy? :D

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
I'm planning to! I'll actually have time for it this year. Are you volunteering to be my auto-x buddy? :D

I'm planning to run a few events. I wanted to buy some sticky tires this year but don't really have the budget for 13" rims & sticky rubber

there are a couple really good series to enter. I'll keep you posted on the dates n such

P

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
I had KVRs before for my MX-3. They are good value for the money, but not quite Brembos. But much better than stock.

The only big-brake kit I can find for my for my car requires 19"+ rims. :(

Same thing. Stillen, Nismo and WilWood both make an awesome kit, but I'd neat at least new 18's.

Brembo is alright. Their rotors don't really impress me. They make OEM blanks for tonnes of manufacturers who then drill them themselves from what I hear. I could have gone with them for less money, but I had heard good things about KVR, and they where one of the only companys making an upgrade for my vehicle without replacing the rims, calipers, etc.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I'm planning to run a few events. I wanted to buy some sticky tires this year but don't really have the budget for 13" rims & sticky rubber

there are a couple really good series to enter. I'll keep you posted on the dates n such

P

I'm gonna be stuck in a super-competitive class due to the modifications on my car...I'll get killed by PAX. But it'll be a good time regardless. :D

swenard

TRIBE Member
You missed what I said. You can get the Brembo kit on the vehicle WITH or WITHOUT ABS. Without, the vehicle doesn't stop right at all. With, it stops hella fast. So in the case of that vehicle, the ABS makes the car safer to drive.

That being said, I don't really care for ABS. My CRX never had it and I liked it just fine personally.

Actually you can't.

Sport package comes with ABS

Brembo package comes with Brembos

You can't combine the two

Also, the brembos do not lock up only one tire at random when braking hard.

I already found that out yesterday when some stupid lady thought my lane was perfect to stop in, right in front of me while I was doing 90 down steeles.

I just realized you might have been talking about the G35. In that caese, YES, you can get ABS and Bembo.

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
Does anyone love the new Toyota Echo or is it just me? Like the brand brand new one, european styling. I think everyone should get one, then we would all live happily ever after.