• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Opinions Wanted: Anti-lock Brakes

seeker

TRIBE Member
I'm in the market for a new car. One of the things that we're trying to decide is whether or not to shell out the ~$2000 to get ABS. For the vehicles that we're considering (shortlist: Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla), ABS is not standard, and is the only option in a package that we really want. The rest (ie moonroof, larger wheels, etc) are really just niceties.

Currently, we drive a Chevy Cavalier. Our car has ABS as a standard feature, so now we're used to driving with them. But that doesn't necessarily mean that we need them.

If you were buying a new car, would you pay the extra $$$ for ABS? Why?

redeyes

TRIBE Member
i wouldn't pay $2,000.00 for ABS. i like the ABS in my car but i don't think it's worth the money. i would just try to be a little more careful driving in snow.

peace

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
Currently, we drive a Chevy Cavalier. Our car has ABS as a standard feature, so now we're used to driving with them. But that doesn't necessarily mean that we need them.
what year is it? i found that the cavalier's ABS was shit and would come on all the time. the newer ones improved this but not by a lot. so you may be used to something sub-par and if you do like it you'll like it even more on a new car.

it's more a personal preference, some people like the feeling of the feature. some people would rather pump the brakes.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
i don't like abs either. as strange as this may sound, i've only ever felt my brakes lock when driving a car with abs.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Definitely worth it for the street IMO. It's nice to have a cut-off switch when you're on the track, but on the street, a panic-stop may not allow you to threshold brake.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Depends on what you're comfortable with. If you're used to it, and aren't a serious car freak who runs the odd track day or autocross then I'd say it's worth the investment. Check with your insurer too becuase they might give you a break on the rates if you have it.

If you're like me, who has lived without for years, I could stand to do without it...unless I got cheaper insurance because of it in which case I would take it but disable it later :)

Paul

seeker

TRIBE Member
Our Cavalier is a '95, the first year of the body-style change (with the plasticky-looking bumpers). I'm aware that the ABS on this car is pretty bad.

I grew up driving w/o ABS, but I have spent the last 4 years driving with it. I'm starting to think that perhaps I don't really need it, and that if I had some good winter tires for driving in snowy conditions, I'd probably be fine without it.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by exrboy
I don't like ABS. I had it in my Honda and eventually ended up getting it disabled.
I have it on my Acura. I can't stand it. I would love to get it disabled.

Maxine

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lurker
If you're like me, who has lived without for years, I could stand to do without it...unless I got cheaper insurance because of it in which case I would take it but disable it later :)

Paul
Ahh... see, there's an angle I hadn't even considered. :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

silver1

TRIBE Member
Are you sure it isn't standard on the Mazda 3? I have a protege5 and it was standard on that. I don't see why the 3 wouldn't have it standard.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
it sure as hell isn't worth 2 grand!!!!!

My car doesn't have abs, but I have locked her up so many times mt next one probably will.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
Are you sure it isn't standard on the Mazda 3? I have a protege5 and it was standard on that. I don't see why the 3 wouldn't have it standard.
pretty sure it's only an option on the base model 3, but it should be standard on the 3 hatchback ( I think it's called the "sport")

you should be able to add it as an option to the base 3

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
No, it's not standard on the 4-door. The Mazda 3 "sport" (the hatchback) has it standard (IIRC). On the 4-door, you have to upgrade to the mid-range GS model, and the get "Sport" package. Cost: $2K.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
In my opinion, the benefits do not justify the cost. If it was cheaper, or come standard, it would be a nice bonus. Yes, they occaissionally can be useful, but the chance that they will be used effectivly (locking up your brakes and then correctly steering around the object you are trying to avoid) is minimal. Even if the situation does occur, you have to be skilled enough as a driver to control the car in such a panic situation. Most people can't do it and will just hit brakes and hope for the best. Mainly because it is not a skill that most people practice.

Cheers ... Ian :)

Lurker

TRIBE Member
^^^ very true.

It's amazing how well you can actually steer a front-drive car in the snow using your left foot on the brakes to make the car rotate. It's a lot easier to control than using the e-brake

I'll take my rear-drive over front drive any day though :)

Paul

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lurker
^^^ very true.

It's amazing how well you can actually steer a front-drive car in the snow using your left foot on the brakes to make the car rotate. It's a lot easier to control than using the e-brake
So long as you don't boil your brake-fluid while practicing in a parking lot. :eek:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bitchass

TRIBE Member
i have a protege 5 and i find the abs kicks in WAY too easily - like when i'm deccelerating an a washboarded road, for example. i don't think it helps on icy streets and prefer to have the fuse removed in all honesty.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
In my opinion, the smarter (and much less expensive) option is to skip the ABS option if it really does cost as much as you say it does, and get a good set of winter tires. They'll make much more of a difference in my opinion to your safety (well in the winter anyways).

Cheers ... Ian :)

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I fucking hate abs brakes. Can't do shit with them.

That's the main reason why I generally try to stick to older models of used imports.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit