• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

opinions on Underworld

rentboy

TRIBE Member
i've always been curious to know the opinions of the techno cogniscenti on Underworld.

Do u guys accept their style, or would u play any of their tunes... genre tags aside, they've made quite a few techno tracks.

Chris

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Oh!... all of you guys love it.. c'mon admitt it.. how can a true techno fan not like underworld??

bad ass music.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
this is drastic.

47 views and not a single techno head has given an opinion...

c'mon boys n girls...

ben

TRIBE Member
juanita.
i love that song. It = 1996.
(i also used to tell people that was what ben was short for.)

i want 1996.
:(

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

db

TRIBE Member
I'll bite. I like (or have liked) a number of Underworld tracks. Rez comes to mind right away and there's plenty others (including some from Beacoup Fish). I'm sure there's some folks who will love to dispute whether or not they produce "real" techno (whatever that means), but I've always considered them a significant part of the global techno scene (and an influence of mine).

The Truth

TRIBE Member
I think Underworld are a good "introduction" to techno..I would probably give a person who isn't into techno some Underworld cds to listen to first, rather than Richie Hawtin or Jeff Mills..

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
The first two albums = thumbs up
the two after that = .. meh
the last one = not for me whatsoever.

odbx

seeker

TRIBE Member
I like some of their tunes. I have a Leftfield set where they drop in 'Bruce Lee' and mix it with some nasty techno and it's great. And I'll admit to having lost my shit on several occasions to 'Born Slippy' and 'Dark & Long'.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
I like some of their tunes. I have a Leftfield set where they drop in 'Bruce Lee' and mix it with some nasty techno and it's great. And I'll admit to having lost my shit on several occasions to 'Born Slippy' and 'Dark & Long'.

Totally. Come on people, get your techno heads out of your techno asses and give up some love for Underworld. They're one of my earliest "mainstream" influences, I own a bunch of their records...I always try to mix in Rez, or maybe king of snake, etc.

Their sound is timeless.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
I've never listened to an Underworld album. The influence was never there for me; "Born Slippy" was a good track, but not enough for me to check them out.

:shrugs:

Not that I wouldn't like them, just one of countless acts/bands I've never gotten around to investigating as a music listener.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
I've never listened to an Underworld album. The influence was never there for me; "Born Slippy" was a good track, but not enough for me to check them out.

:shrugs:

Not that I wouldn't like them, just one of countless acts/bands I've never gotten around to investigating as a music listener.

u should give DUBNOBASSWITHMYHEADMAN and Second Toughest a shot then.

Hugely influential albums for me... i still listen to them frequently.

I wasn't big on Beaucoup Fish, and i really can't graps their latest one... both have their moments but lack the overall structure and class of the first two.

alot of their early singles are worth checking too for the rare extra tunes.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Push Upstairs is a fucking sick track,those piano stabs are just evil...

...now back to the trance room you irish bastard;)

Curt

ian

TRIBE Member
Rez, Dark & Long, and that Cowgirl track are all classics. . .
(I'll give major props to Rez and Dark & Long though).

-ian g.

seeker

TRIBE Member
shit... forgot about Cowgirl! one of the early tunes I got into (yes, via that silly "Hackers" movie :rolleyes: :p)

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
Push Upstairs is a fucking sick track,those piano stabs are just evil...
...now back to the trance room you irish bastard;)

Curt

you lil bitch...

p.s. u and Dougie should bounce up to London soon...be good to see u boys again. :)

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by rentboy
you lil bitch...

p.s. u and Dougie should bounce up to London soon...be good to see u boys again. :)

i'm sure you would bounce outta London seeing as everytime we come up your not there:mad:

P.S: be good to see yah too mate...that Derek is a funny fuck too:D

sd.

slingshot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy

Well Chris,

As a music listener (and a good one at that) you must check them out - especially since you like electronic music - they truly are pioneers and artists deserving of attention regardless of how they are catagorized. Trust.

ss