• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Opening a file question?

funky_citrus

TRIBE Member
Ok, I might seem dumb for asking this question, but someone sent me a file that I need to open as an attachment, and when I download it it asks me what program I want to use to open the file. Do I need Adobe to open it or can word open it?

Thanks

~Leslie~

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
what kind of file is it? that is, what's the extention on the file?

if you can't see it, right click on it and save it to your desktop or somewhere you can find it easily, then go find it, right click on it again, and choose 'properties'.
Find the extension of the file... .doc? .pdf? .abc? .mp3?

This information gleaned, this question closer to salvation.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by funky_citrus
Ok, I might seem dumb for asking this question, but someone sent me a file that I need to open as an attachment, and when I download it it asks me what program I want to use to open the file. Do I need Adobe to open it or can word open it?

Thanks

~Leslie~

What is the file you are trying to open. I have a feeling that the person who sent it to you is using a MAC. Thus the file describes how its supposed to open itself inside. With PC files we use the extension after the dot

thus

DittoMuchHasANineInchMember.pdf
DittoMuchHasANineInchMember.gif

Tells the PC to use Adobe to open the first and my picture viewer to open the second. Where as on a mac

DittoMuchHasANineInchMember
DittoMuchHasANineInchMember

would open which ever file reader it should open naturally.