• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Open water scuba diving certificate - which is better?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a difference in quality or recognition between the types of certificates you can get? I have just been free diving and snorkeling all my life, but I am thinking about taking a scuba course so I can venture into deeper water for longer periods.

Anyone here take a scuba certification course? How did it go?

Stop Bill C-10

Liability

TRIBE Member
Is there a difference in quality or recognition between the types of certificates you can get? I have just been free diving and snorkeling all my life, but I am thinking about taking a scuba course so I can venture into deeper water for longer periods.

Anyone here take a scuba certification course? How did it go?

I did the Padi course in Thailand many years ago.

The course was great and it is nice to take it somewhere where the diving is also great.

The course is split into classroom with a test, in pool testing componenets and a series of dives where you work on various skills and excercise various techniques useful in an emergency situation.

One thing to keep in mind is you need to keep you cert current. Most reputable diving places that you go after being certified are going to want to see a dive in the last 6 months recorded in your dive book.

Yes, you can't go very deep on the basic cert. However, a lot of good dives are fairly shallow especially when it comes ot the nicer reefs in clear water.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I'm planning to keep mine current by scuba diving around Bruce Peninsula.

G+S Watersports Welcomes Individual Divers to Join our Boat Trips

I am not sure how much rental costs, trying to look into it now.

edit: G+S Offers Rental Equipment for Diving, Snorkeling, Kayaking and more

One dive: $75
Equipment rental: One day (excl. mask, fins & snorkel $99.00
Mask, Fin & Snorkel $16.00

Total: $190+
Looks like I don't understand the rental costs involved.

I am kind of worried about that too. I should really find out how much it costs to reant gear from the local dive shop...The only place I would probably ever dive is here in SA, and then I would have to find a buddy to dive with who will keep an eye on me while I metal detect underwater. Hmmm...

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I forgot to post this link too.

Bring a Buddy Package

Looks a little more inexpensive. I will be researching more this week.

Perhaps I will email divers den. It seems as though you want to dive pretty deep eh? There is another certification after Open Water Course.

That allows you to dive up to 30M.

It's probably better to go take a trip to Mexico, just to keep up with certification. lol.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
PADI is by far the most recognized certification globally.

once you are certified, the certification is good for life, although you should dive at least once a year during the first few years until you have committed all the basic skills to memory.

we upgraded to 'adventure diver' level a few years ago, which lets us go a bit deeper than the regular 'open water' certificate.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Holy crap, Alex! Practice your swimming if you're not a strong swimmer. Soo exhausted from swimming.

I find the course pretty intensive. I also tested the instructor's patience today. Its a knack that I have.

I am doing SSI certification. It doesn't matter, if its padi or SSI both are popular. Let me know if you do it.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
You'll never guess what, Alex!!!!! I've met a dive buddy for us!!!

He's a padi instructor from Montreal and has gone diving at St.Lawrence river.

He is willing to come meet me in Toronto, I will drive us to Tobermory.

BTW, one of my dive buddies is from Alaska and had a stroke four months earlier.

I am having problems with my ears, also I take a long ass time to equalise.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders