• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ontario health cards actually expire nowadays!

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I'm really glad I found this out during a routine non-emergency doc visit. Otherwise, I would have had to pay $60. The receptionist told me in a very deadpan voice that the $60 was "non refundable" even if I brought a new card later.

I'm so glad that I could defer this visit. Anyways, moral of the story is to check the expiry date or you'll be forced to pay in an emergency. And no, you can't renew by phone! The government is getting rather pissy and they want to see you IN PERSON (during work hours that are extremely inconvenient).

Stop Bill C-10

octo

TRIBE Member
I'm really glad I found this out during a routine non-emergency doc visit. Otherwise, I would have had to pay $60. The receptionist told me in a very deadpan voice that the $60 was "non refundable" even if I brought a new card later.

I'm so glad that I could defer this visit. Anyways, moral of the story is to check the expiry date or you'll be forced to pay in an emergency. And no, you can't renew by phone! The government is getting rather pissy and they want to see you IN PERSON (during work hours that are extremely inconvenient).

health cards have had an expiry date since 1995

and i'm pretty sure they've tried to crack down on the red and white ones.

i just checked mine. i'm not expiring till 2020! i don't remember renewing 2 years ago. the one before that for sure was expired for years. i wonder what prompted me to renew? i:confused:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Who says they're good to 2018? I've been hearing for 20 years that they are going to phase them out and it's never happened.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Last year I had to trade in my red and white one for the new one.

My old card was in 8 or so pieces and only held together by lots of scotch tape.

Mine was actually light orange and white.

Part of me died that day.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
you'll find out real quick if you have a red and white card, and need coverage...
hey iBro, do you even rely on your red and white ?

Karim

TRIBE Member
It's to crack down on immigrant citizens who live overseas (unofficially) but come back for medical care. By forcing them to renew in person every so often, it forces renewed contact with these people who would otherwise never come back unless they needed care.

djfear

TRIBE Member
At my family doctor's office the receptionist will ask me which card I have, and when I tell her I have the red and white one she says that she doesn't have to see it. I wonder when I do eventually have to switch how long I could get away from doing that.

While we're on the topic of healthcare, I recently found out that in BC you actually have to pay for healthcare: MSP - Premiums

Why the hell didn't they roll this into income tax or something else? Seems like such a waste of taxpayer money to have to have an agency to collect these payments.

derek

TRIBE Member
The old red & white ones work and don't expire, so long as you weren't given notice to move over.

It's only the 'new' green ones that expire.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
gRedASm.jpg

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Like after a terrorist attack?

That's just fearmongering.

It'll work. It's illegal to turn someone away that needs medical attention. If if they don't take it in my family will do just fine with the settlement they get after they sue their ass.

When will it stop working? I bet you can't find a date...

derek

TRIBE Member
the old ones are totally acceptable, i regret misplacing mine (only to find it after, i got the replacement green one that expires)

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Like after a terrorist attack?

That's just fearmongering.

It'll work. It's illegal to turn someone away that needs medical attention. If if they don't take it in my family will do just fine with the settlement they get after they sue their ass.

When will it stop working? I bet you can't find a date...
are you new ? at some point, if you fail to renew your red and white card, you'll fall off your bike, get a boo boo, and good luck getting your brain sorted out.
i don't need to find a date...i'm dead sexy.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
are you new ? at some point, if you fail to renew your red and white card, you'll fall off your bike, get a boo boo, and good luck getting your brain sorted out.
i don't need to find a date...i'm dead sexy.

How do you figure? As a matter of fact I fell off my bike this past summer! I didn't even HAVE my (invalid, red and white) health card and yet here I am all alive and stitched up.

edit- they did call some hotline and I had to wait literally 5 minutes for them to verify my health card info

Last edited: