1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ontario fruit is amazing this year

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Sep 7, 2018.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Man is Ontario fruit ever yummy this year! I am almost through a container of nectarines and I only got them yesterday. And the peaches... OMG! So frikken good,

For years when I buy peaches they are either hard as rocks, taste like nothing, or never ripen and just rot.

I think this is the first year I've had fresh peaches that not only taste like peaches; they just explode with flavor.

2. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Peaches have been awesome.

The wife has been making wicked upside down cakes, cobblers and treats with em too!

Interesting fact most people dont know: most orchard fruit is patented!

Mainly because it can take decades for orchard nurseries to really cross a successful new variety, and it takes a ton of cash and years and years of patience to make it happen. Some university orchards have professors who start a project that will only be able to be completed by the young kids they are teaching today when they are old and wise!

Heres an example of a patent on a peach tree variety that is hardier in the cold and better for Ontario:

USPP11449P - `AC Harrow Dawn` Peach - Google Patents

Interestingly, when it comes to debates about "patenting life", no one ever complains about orchard varieties!! Probably because most people are misinformed on agriculture by netflix docs.