• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ontario Election Thread

acheron

TRIBE Member
Ontario heading for election next month as NDP rejects budget | Toronto Star

Ontario heading for election next month as NDP rejects budget
A June election is a certainty after NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said her party could not support the budget tabled by Premier Kathleen Wynne’s minority.

Ontario voters are heading to the polls next month.
A June election is a certainty after NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said her party could not support the budget tabled by Premier Kathleen Wynne’s minority Liberals.

Speaking to reporters about the budget for the first time Friday morning — she declined to discuss the spending plan the day it was unveiled — Horwath said it’s time for a change in the province.

“I have lost confidence in Kathleen Wynne and her ability to deliver,” the NDP leader said at Queen’s Park.

“I cannot in good conscience support a government that people don’t trust anymore,” she said.

“It’s time for a change . . . we will be voting against this budget.”

Horwath said a budget in which the government “threw (in) the kitchen sink” was not enough to keep her on side with the Liberals.
“It’s a mad dash to escape the scandals by promising the moon and the stars,” she said of the fiscal blueprint.

Despite the promises of faster home care for seniors, lower auto insurance rates and a financial accountability office — all demanded the NDP in last spring’s budget — people are still waiting, Horwath told a 20-minute news conference.

She said the minority Liberals have been “high on promises and low on delivery,” making it time to pull the plug on NDP support.
Horwath would not reveal any of her election platform, saying that is “for another day.”

Wynne had given Horwath until next Thursday to give a thumbs up or a thumbs down to the budget. The government’s next move was not immediately clear, but Wynne could go to Lieut.-Gov. David Onley and ask him to dissolve the legislature in the coming days, paving the way for an election.

On Thursday, Finance Minister Charles Sousa tabled a $130.4-billion spending plan designed to appeal to New Democrat MPPs and, if necessary, serve as the Liberal campaign platform should the minority government be toppled.

“I would be very proud to take this plan to the people,” Wynne said on CP24.

Sousa’s budget, which is backed by Ontario Federation of Labour president Sid Ryan and other NDP-friendly union leaders, included a new Ontario Retirement Pension Plan, similar to the Canada Pension Plan.

The ORPP, which the New Democrats have long called for, would force Ontarians to earmark a small part of their paycheques for retirement unless they have an employer’s pension plan.

Thursday’s budget also featured 1 per cent increase for Ontario Works recipients and those getting Ontario Disability Support Program benefits.
It also boosted the Ontario Child Benefit, which helps low-income families, from $1,210 a year per child to $1,310.

As well, over the next decade the Grits pledged $29 billion for transportation infrastructure, including public transit, $11 billion for school construction and repair, and $11.4 billion on hospitals.

The Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Ontario Nurses Association and Unifor, Canada’s largest private sector union, all urged Horwath to back the budget.

Only Warren (Smokey) Thomas, president of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU), said the NDP should join with the Progressive Conservatives in toppling the Grits.

Conservative Leader Tim Hudak said Friday that Ontarians are looking for leadership that can keep a better eye on the public purse and scarce taxpayer dollars in the wake of the $1.1 billion gas plants scandal and $900 million in tax increases in the budget.'

“What we need now is a premier and a team that are competent economic managers,” he told reporters in Mississauga.

praktik

TRIBE Member
We'll probably get a new premier - and whoever it is, and I mean WHOEVER - Ontario will find a way to HATE them - HATE HATE HATE them!

Rae/Harris/McGuinty/Wynne/__________

Step up whoever is next, and be ready to leave under a cloud of HATE

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

greginhali

TRIBE Member
honestly. not sure if i can vote for any of the three parties. I think they all suck. And im the type that would actually vote. It might be a vote for the green party. The big three platforms all make me sick. I hate what politics have come to. lowest of the low.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
honestly. not sure if i can vote for any of the three parties. I think they all suck. And im the type that would actually vote. It might be a vote for the green party. The big three platforms all make me sick. I hate what politics have come to. lowest of the low.
This is exactly where I'm at. Don't want to vote for any of them.

I think the answer when party leadership is uninspiring is to focus on the candidates in your riding.

Puma

TRIBE Member
Really? I think there's a pretty good chance she gets re-elected with another minority.
That's possible because people in ontario are stupid. If they re elect her, than the inevitable bankruptcy of ontario will not be able to be blamed on mike Harris but I am sure the die hard libtards will try anyways. If she does not get re elected then the new government will have to cut spending . The people will not like that and will re elect the liberals the big spenders again in 4 years and everything will be business as usual. It seams like ontario has no hope and will have to let the liberals bankrupt it before the people wise up. If she does get re elected then ontario will go bankrupt 4 years earlier then in my other scenario. hopefully someone can rebuild it so that We don't all have to move to Alberta.

Sake of disclosure no I am not a party hack I don't support any party or politician but the ontario liberals are just to much and to corrupt.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
Don't forget that during the last election, Hudak if elected promised to cancel the gas plants as well.

The best we can hope for is another minority government. A majority headed by any of the big three would spell disaster for Ontario.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Who tables a budget with such a large deficit? Honestly, 12.5 billion? WTF!
Yeah, sorta tough. But at the same time it was a purposeful "strategic deficit." The research has shown that strategic deficits are actually more likely to nurture growth; much more likely than austerity strategies.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
This is where I am at as well...

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
That's possible because people in ontario are stupid. If they re elect her, than the inevitable bankruptcy of ontario will not be able to be blamed on mike Harris but I am sure the die hard libtards [will try anyways. If she does not get re elected then the new government will have to cut spending . The people will not like that and will re elect the liberals the big spenders again in 4 years and everything will be business as usual. It seams like ontario has no hope and will have to let the liberals bankrupt it before the people wise up. If she does get re elected then ontario will go bankrupt 4 years earlier then in my other scenario. hopefully someone can rebuild it so that We don't all have to move to Alberta.

Sake of disclosure no I am not a party hack I don't support any party or politician but the ontario liberals are just to much and to corrupt.
^No, of course you aren't. :O

Really horrible move on Horwath's part. The best she can hope for is a Liberal minority (with a few more NDP seats). No way NDP will win, but who knows there have been upsets before, I just don't think that will happen. The worst is a PC majority (even a PC minority will shut her out), Right now, even hardcore members of the NDP are pissed at her. All this for a few possible seats..

Think it will be a Liberal minority once again. No one can stand Hudak and there are too may bad memories of Harris.
Personally, it's all about holding my nose right now. Disgusted by them all.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Howarth has so much more to lose by having the election called, polls are showing that she'd likely lose seats and in the process turns down a budget with a lot of the things she's been asking for.

I admit I dislike Hudak, but I think there's not a lot of trust in him from the general public either - there's still a fair bit of association with Mike Harris that lingers around him, and that Million Jobs promise sounds like a lot of them are going to be low wage paying, part time or both. He's not really giving a lot of details on how he's going to achieve this, or what he's got in mind.

This election is going to suck.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Anyone like me who voted Liberal in the last election is going to have apathy. I'm seriously disappointed. Disgusted, even. A billion dollars is not a small amount of chump change and I feel betrayed by Dalton. I want an inquiry on what happened.

At the same time, I hate Hudak. Fucking hate him to high heavens.

NDP? Meh.

AAARGHahhasdgkajf;dsjkl;asdjoewahdvs;dl kasdflasdf ajsdkjv

Maui

TRIBE Member
Thursday’s budget also featured 1 per cent increase for Ontario Works recipients
Errr so It would go up $6.00? lol

I was on assistance for 6 months last year because that's how long it took before my EI was processed. It was 600/month. Didn't even cover my rent.

I was on it in the 90's when I moved down south to finish high school and If I recall I was getting over $700/month. Crazy.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Errr so It would go up $6.00? lol

I was on assistance for 6 months last year because that's how long it took before my EI was processed. It was 600/month. Didn't even cover my rent.

I was on it in the 90's when I moved down south to finish high school and If I recall I was getting over $700/month. Crazy.
we can't have too many TAKERS though maui!!

And for all those who say "all pols are shit" - maybe WE are shit.

ever think of that?

The cynicism in Ontario is a HUGE boner killer