• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

ontario colleges on strike.

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
i dont know if i should study for my midterm tomorrow or not?

does everyone think this will really go as long as a week or more and not get resolved within a couple of days?

Sweet_e

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I would be pissed.
What a waste of money.

Students should retaliate. If you're gonna fuck over your students temporarily, fine. Don't fucking make them pay again for a full year. I would DEMAND a refund.

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
I would be pissed.
What a waste of money.

Students should retaliate. If you're gonna fuck over your students temporarily, fine. Don't fucking make them pay again for a full year. I would DEMAND a refund.

from everything i have read they have no intent of cancelling the school year as of yet. I am sure that if it did get to that point (ie condensed or extended semester is no longer a possiblility) then our tuition would either be transferrable or we would get a refund

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

kyuss

TRIBE Member
ya i'm not happy about this strike either. I graduate this year. Luckily, we're all interning now, so I only go to school like 2 days a week. If these teachers try to fuck us over, I will freak out on them :eek:

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
This is ridiculous. We have 2 weeks left in our semester and then we are done. Going on strike now is just a giant waste. I sympathize with many of the unions grievances but their timing is purely selfish.

I'd rather be in class just getting the two weeks overwith than just delaying the inevitable.

jeremy -learning- jive

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
The pay increase is high I agree, but it's to offset the .5% increase they have received every 6 months for something around 10 years. Thats to make up for the 1% difference between their annual raise and inflation then 2% for the current year. So really it makes sense.

The main clause is class size which has gotten out of hand in many cases. As my father is a prof, I understand how hard it is for him to teach an oversized class without the proper facilities.

And from being a student, I think if they were a little more strict on who they accepted and the quality or maturity of their students, the large class sizes wouldn't be such a problem.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

labRat

TRIBE Member
another great example why unions rock!

"College representatives say their offer includes a 12.6 per cent salary increase over four years. That would increase the maximum salary for faculty to more than $94,000 by April 2009 and make them the best paid college instructors in the country. "
- seems they are asking for more than what they need

"They also say there would be no increase in workload, meaning the average teaching time in the classroom would remain at 14 hours per week.

The average class size in Ontario colleges is 28 students. "
- 14 hours? so... 26 hours to mark tests and reports?
and i had class sizes well over 100 students in university and i lernded good. the instructor is only a small part in what you need for learning, you and your efforts comprimise most of it.

ps. most college instructors are not 'profs'

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
*edit

I don't know that you need a PhD to be a professor, because now that I think about it, some of my profs only had Masters degrees. But you have to be teaching at a University level.

tella

TRIBE Member
Jeremy Jive said:
And from being a student, I think if they were a little more strict on who they accepted and the quality or maturity of their students, the large class sizes wouldn't be such a problem.
i completely agree with you on this one.

in other news, i had an essay that was due today. because of the strike, i didnt even consider going to school today but i just checked the teachers website and he posted specific instructions that we are all required to cross picket lines to drop off our essays at the liberal arts offices even though he will not be picking them up or marking them.

TOTAL BULLSHIT.

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
Jeremy Jive said:
!!!

what i try not to think about every day.

as gwb said, "the illiteracy rate of our nation's children are appalling." it was really upsetting to me to see the writing samples of some people in my class.

Hypnotic

TRIBE Member
labRat said:
ps. most college instructors are not 'profs'
if teaching one of those collaborative degree programs offered on site at a college campus then they are....

Whatever though....What pisses me off about this situation is that the teachers are saying that culmulatively, hours between classes and office hours exceed 44 hr/week, which isn't fair to them. What I want to know is how many students actually make use of their profs or teachers outside of regularly scheduled classroom hours anyway?????? I'd guess not many. Work week hours should be based on this reality and not merely that profs are available during office hours if needed.....:mad:

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
ha so i go to my night class yesterday and a few chefs from my faculty are outside picketing. funny how all the other OPSEU clowns square their shoulders, turn as i walk by and move so that their signs are facing me while i go past, i make eye contact with the 3 chefs that are part of the crowd (@ the back btw), smile and shake my head.

my program is one of the best in the county, we just got a couple million from the provincial libs to install more equipment and increase classroom sizes so we can keep pumping out "skilled trades". plasma screens up yo ass all over our building with food network on, new pots n' pans and all the bells and fucking whistles you could ever think of. they just got new office equipment, they've got more part time chefs ("Technicians") now since i started going to school 3 years ago to compensate for the influx of new students for the chefs school. they've got nothing to do or say except tote that union line. reminds me of my other job, and i feel like i wanna puke in my mouth every time i do.

i'm lucky because my situation in school is unique and i'm ahead of the game. all the wrinkles i can get ironed out easy like so i feel for the other students who might get the screw job because of all this even though i'm still laughing @ it all

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
trinitydub said:
!!!

what i try not to think about every day.

as gwb said, "the illiteracy rate of our nation's children are appalling." it was really upsetting to me to see the writing samples of some people in my class.
Last semester one of the students in my class asked me to proof his term paper. I read the first three paragraphs and handed it back. He asked my thoughts and I politely said it was fine and to hand it it.

In all honesty it was written as if a 14 year old with bad grammar had written it. I really had no idea where to start and didn't want to upset him.

If I hear one more student say that all they are aiming for is a 60% to pass I'm going to snap. If you are just there to float by then get out of my way. Some of us are trying to learn.

Question of the semester was "So if there is a strike tomorrow, do we have to cross the picket line and write the exam tomorrow too?"

jeremy -educational- jive

MoFo

TRIBE Member
R4V4G3D_SKU11S said:
Most College teachers in Canada aren't profs AFAIK. They are teachers. You need a PhD to be called a Professor.
Many college teachers moonlight to colleges so that they can actually teach.

Our profs came from York, U of T and Ryerson. Cuz they wanted to actually do something different. And actually create a learning environment.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Sure.
But my point is that if a guy off the street can teach and engage a classroom, then really we're just talking labels here. I don't care what you're designated as.. Teaching is a balancing act between knowledge and communication.
I've been to some of those huge lectures.. I mean.. what a snooze.. There's no learning. It's all regurgitation!
And I've been to some really great lectures.. But those were usually from someone who was interactive, animated, unjaded..