• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

online vs. real world personalities

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
This question was raised to me by the loverly dorianne (aka Lystrata) last night when she realized I can't actually fart rainbows and I don't really know any unicorns... well, I know them, we're just not "friends".

she's like I wanna see why you're so hyper online as in person. It was three am, i was tired and not fucked, booze levels were low and I wasn't doing my best propane impression. she did not get an explosion.

kaboom.

but it made me think, I wonder how much people actually perceive a personality by semi-anonymous posting on a message board. does character shine through the inane drivel we spout of and soapbox all day long?

how similar are you in person are you to how you act on the board? for some, they're exactly the same. but then there others who are radically different than their online persona. is it acting, or does the internet allow you to facilitate another aspect of an already existing personality that might not be recognized in person?

if anything, I seem short online. I dunno why, but everyone says wow, you're tall in person. I guess I have a teeny tiny internet personality. weird.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I'm going to start posting tall.

"Attention, for your information, the weather up here IS fine. enjoy the view up my nostrils."

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
oh man there a few tribers i just absolutely lurve offline. I hardly see them but the few times I do - they always make me laugh and smile.

:D

the rest - no comment.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Poot

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
I'm going to start posting tall.

"Attention, for your information, the weather up here IS fine.

I like to say "It's raining."

And then spit on people.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I'm pretty close, however in person you can see the smile and that I'm trying to be funny, online I can come off as a prick.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I try and be close, atleast in terms of 'nice' factor. I dont think being online is an excuse to become an asshole. I'm probably far less talkative in person however -- chalk that upto a bit of shyness + stuttering.

dr. claw

For me, I find the net an extremely inefficient tool in gauging the personalities of others. I generally don't cement my opinion of anyone until I meet them in person, regardless of how cool they come across "online" or what sordid internet drama they were involved in.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
i think that once people meet me offline they understand my online personality a little better. i don't think there are that many differences but i feel like people know the voice i speak from better if they have talked to me before. that said, online or real life i think i come across as a jackass most of the time.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i type the way i talk, so in that respect i'm completely the same person.
i think, though, that i generally post when i am in a certain mood, and therefore the other sides of my personality don't get the same kinda board time.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
I try and be close, atleast in terms of 'nice' factor. I dont think being online is an excuse to become an asshole. I'm probably far less talkative in person however -- chalk that upto a bit of shyness + stuttering.

Sounds like me :)

Though in recent years, I've become a lot more comfortable and confident around new people

Caz

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
you're tall in person. I guess I have a teeny tiny internet personality. weird.

hahaha Chris this is the first thing I said to you as well when I met you at Sunny's. Well, after "put your pants back on"

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
it may have something to do with leaving a passed out noodle and HHS at Crazlegs apartment and walking the 40 odd kilometres home from Avenue Rd. and Eglinton to Jarvis and Carlton this morning. why did i do that.

that was definitely a Thumpr move.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I was also out for a stroll this morning! after leaving footwork, we ran into a couple fucking like donkeys on the hood of their car. we decided to circle the block to let him finish up and while walking saw some colourful people drinking at 430 in the morning, just standing aorund with beers. we got back to find that they had moved into the car and he was still plowing her.

we honked in applause and drove off.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
it may have something to do with leaving a passed out noodle and HHS at Crazlegs apartment and walking the 40 odd kilometres home from Avenue Rd. and Eglinton to Jarvis and Carlton this morning. why did i do that.

that was definitely a Thumpr move.

does that mean they're down there right now?
can i go bang on the door?

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
krzysiu: ask basketballjones what he was doing five minutes before he showed up at Revival Friday night, whatta pig!

squirrely: you live in Crazleg's building? it's nice i liked it.