• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Online Purchases from U.S.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
I'm considering making an online purchase from the U.S. for a pair of MK5's. They have a Canadian specific shipping site that uses Canada Post "Border Free". The price they state in Canadian is said to include duties, exchange, shipping, etc. I have heard nightmare stories about this sort of thing.

Has anyone had any experience with online purchases. Are their usually hidden costs? Obviously, they state there are none, but I'd rather hear what people have experienced.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

defazman

TRIBE Member
Having them shipped Canada Post should definitely help, you get nailed when you ship UPS from the states.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
beware the "brokerage fee", which is usually $40 or more.

stupid unecessary fees.

Although... if their website indicates that the price listed includes duties, taxes and fees and all that crap, then you should probably be fine.

Pete

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
No, it's from BorderFree.
They are including all the shipping, handling, etc...
End of Story.

But if it was UPS/FedEX/USPS/etc.. different story.

I've used them in the past, when it was not directly tied into CanadaPoste and it was fine, price quoted online with shipping, etc.. was exactly what I paid.

pr0nstar

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I would probably guess, CanadaPost/BorderFree gets to charge a little higher on the shipping and also gets a cut of the sale most likely.

pr0nstar

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks for the info.

I forgot to mention that the site is www.etronics.com

Has anyone here ordered from them?

What's the lowest price you have seen for MK5's in Canada (Toronto)? I've seen $699

Thanks again!
Dan

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I've ordered from them before...
But I had it delivered to a US address, oh how I miss my ex's mailing address! LOL!

But they were pretty quick and good to deal with.
Just ensure before you order that the address you're ordering to is on the credit card. Or your order will take a while longer until you add it.

pr0nstar

finary

TRIBE Promoter
i bought my digital camera from royalcamera.com in brooklyn, ny last year

i made them mark it as a 'gift' so i was free of any cross-boarder taxes and fees.

it ended up saving me $200 over buying the same product here in canada.

so just make sure that they mark it as a gift and you should be okay. i'd stress to the sales person that the ONLY way you will buy the product is if it is shipped as a GIFT.

/f

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah, I have a friend that is in NYC now and could potentially pick them up and fly them home for me. I"m not sure how that works though. He's been their for a week and I can't remember how much he can bring home with him. I also have friends that could buy it and then ship it to me as a gift....hmm....

Thanks for the info!
Dan

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary
i bought my digital camera from royalcamera.com in brooklyn, ny last year

i made them mark it as a 'gift' so i was free of any cross-boarder taxes and fees.

it ended up saving me $200 over buying the same product here in canada.

so just make sure that they mark it as a gift and you should be okay. i'd stress to the sales person that the ONLY way you will buy the product is if it is shipped as a GIFT.

/f
http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/business/importing/courier/postal/ind_duty_free-e.html

Marking it as a gift does not protect you. But customs is weird like that...sometimes they catch you, sometimes they don't.

~jen

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by --[Zirca]--
Yeah, I have a friend that is in NYC now and could potentially pick them up and fly them home for me. I"m not sure how that works though. He's been their for a week and I can't remember how much he can bring home with him. I also have friends that could buy it and then ship it to me as a gift....hmm....

Thanks for the info!
Dan
Honestly, they give you the full price online on eTronics before you pay.

I'd just go online and see what it is and get them shipped if it's fine with you.

I wouldn't risk getting fucked at the border for customs, etc.

pr0nstar

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
Just remember that the warr. DOESN'T cover your purchase in Canada...and that can mean big money if they go down.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to determine whether or not it is worth me selling me decks (MKII's) to upgrade to MK5's? I can sell mine for $1200 and then dish out an extra $300 Cdn and buy them today or go via the online purchase for $1300 after all the duties, etc. hmmmm....