• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Online payment processing

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Is there anything I can use besides paypal for online payment processing?

I am looking for something for my treasure hunting tour business in south africa

Doesn't google have some kind of payment thingy?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I work in the merchant services industry...AMA (ask me anything)

:)
OK. I need people to be able to make a deposit payment to me from South Africa in order to book a treasure hunting tour with me. Payments wont be large - maybe 30 bucks tops. I guess paypal would work for that, but I am wondering if there is anything else that would work better?

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Ok so you have a couple options, to be perfectly honest I would start off with PayPal as the have no monthly fees and it's a pay per use with no contract commitment, but you pay higher rates per transaction - 2.9% + $0.30 per item... so $30 transaction will cost you $1.17 per transaction.

If your business establishes itself and you see in increase in payments at that point should look into a proper merchant account but you'll have to have enough sales to offset the monthly fees... my most inexpensive solution for example runs $10 per month but fees are 2.74% + $0.07 per item...and no monthly minimum processing required. We also support multi-currency processing so your South African clients can see your pricing in their currency but funds will deposit in CDN funds.

Also, with merchant account you'll need to register as a business, have a business bank account etc.

Hope that helps, if you need anything further let me know!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Kid

TRIBE Member
BTW our solution is essentially identical to square... their rates are pretty high though, for manually keyed transactions they charge 3.5% + $0.15

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
If your business establishes itself and you see in increase in payments at that point should look into a proper merchant account but you'll have to have enough sales to offset the monthly fees... my most inexpensive solution for example runs $10 per month but fees are 2.74% + $0.07 per item...and no monthly minimum processing required. We also support multi-currency processing so your South African clients can see your pricing in their currency but funds will deposit in CDN funds.

Also, with merchant account you'll need to register as a business, have a business bank account etc.

Hope that helps, if you need anything further let me know!

So what happens on the South Africa side? Are they going to be able to pay with just their credit card? Or can they use their local bank accounts to pay as well? Also, is this something that can be easily integrated into a website?

The Kid

TRIBE Member
They would only be able to pay via credit card.

Actually yes, website would be the absolute best way of doing it IMO, then your customers will see the prices in their currency, but you receive it in your Canadian account, in Canadian funds.

The rates for online payment are slightly better also...