1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

One-time back-hair removal suggestions

Discussion in 'Guys Stuff Forum' started by praktik, Mar 17, 2010.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Yes. I have back hair. Normally its no issue really, in a long-term relationship and feel no need to tend back there cause she's totally cool with it - but we're heading to a trip for a destination wedding in Cuba in a month and I was pondering whether or not a little manscaping is in order.

One issue is that I shave my neck regularly and the problem is that with a shirt off it creates some incongruity between the cleanly shaved neck and the "tufts" where I stop shaving on my upper back.

I'm not looking to get into a regular routine here so I'm thinking what the best option might be for a one-time thing that'll get me through the week.

Idea #1: The Razor

This is the cheapest option. I'm leaning towards this one. But slightly worried about being itchy all week, and wondering if there might need to be a mid-week treatment for back stubble.

Idea #2: Home Wax Kit

Any dudes give this a try? Looks like I'd be forking out 40$ or so for this - and I'm not sure how effective those home kits really are.

Idea # 3: Nair

Saw this suggested for ball and ass-hair removal in the general forum - but I've always been a bit leary of it. Does it really work?

Any suggestions from fellow hairy men would be appreciated..;)

2. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Nair will leave you with the least ingrown hairs, stubble and irritation.
    Waxing will leave you red and blotchy like a mofo

3. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

Just shave that shit, it's not going to grow back in a week, it's not facial hair.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Nair it, or go in and pay the 60-90$ for a wax.

5. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

Idea #4 - have a professional wax it for you.

6. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Bic lighter and a thin coat of varsol.

7. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Shave it. Nair is gross and if you're anything like me, waxing it sounds one step too close to getting your nails did.

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I vote nair.

9. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

My wife has worked in a couple of Spa's, and from the guys that would go in to get their backs waxed, out of the 3 options, its the most painful easily, but lasts the longest, and as far as i have heard if its not to thick, then you should be ok. but get it done at least 2 - 3 days before leaving, if not 5 ish to let your body get used to it not being there and any irritation to go away.

otherwise, shaving and nair are almost the same thing, from the stories about the different methods at the spa's.

guys would shave/nair, and it would start to regrow inside of a week, but def prickly and stubbly.

so if you dont want the itch get it done professionally at a spa, and it is usually around 60$, and apparently the girls at Elmwood Spa, where my wife used to work, are really good, they got lots of props n shit.

hope this helps.

[jai]

10. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

If you enjoy the most extreme pain you can ever endure. Try waxing. Otherwise go with shaving.

11. groovespinna

groovespinna TRIBE Member

we Naired "24" into a fat buddy's back ages ago before may 24 weekend, and I was surprised how well it worked.
    give'r.

12. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

"Nair- Good enough for the sack, good enough for the back."

13. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

1, 2, 3, are all bad ideas.

Go to the spa an get a proffessional wax it costs like 25 bucks and will be smooth for 3 weeks.

14. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

Fuck it man. You're going to Cuba. Just get some of those nifty Caribbean braids done on the 1st day. Get the beads too. You'll look great!

15. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

25$ where you going, thats dirty cheap, not that I would know *cough cough*

16. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Go see a Pro or Nair (if you're scared).

Trust me.

As a regular back hair remover...waxing is your best bet.

17. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Dude.

It is torture!!! How do you stand it???

18. assassaint

assassaint TRIBE Member

screw you persephone!!! dont listen to her man, you will regret it. i have an extremly high tolerance for pain but that was...have you seen 40 years old virgin?? it wasnt an exaggeration !!! even though the wax lady sprayed something that was supposed to numb the pain i walked out of that store after 5 minutes, cursing her, god, my life as loud as i could.

you say your lady is ok with your hairyness? then nair is your best friend. do it 2-3 days before trip and you'll be good.

again, do not wax it, you'll regret it immediately!!

19. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Actually, only the first couple times really hurt...after that the hair gets thinner and sparse so it's more like pulling off a band-aid.

Unless you let it grow too long and too thick...then it hurts.

20. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I've Naired someone and it really does work.

I think I'm the only guy who thinks back hair is fine.

21. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

if the hair is too long it will hurt trim it down a bit with a trimmer if it's really long

Chris D I live in Bloor west village... it seems like every other store is a spa or salon so you can get some good prices as they compete with each other and have deals. I've been to a few places here now I pay 25 for legs so back can't be much more :|

22. toney

toney TRIBE Member

Nair on the sac just sounds exteremly caustic!

23. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Hehe yes, some people are totally cool with it, I guess it depends if its like a Kaleid Sheik Mohammed kind of out of control hibernating bear look... or something a bit more manageable...

in my case I just have that incongruity between my shaved neck and where I can't reach with my razor...

Still deciding the waxing sounds alright but Im starting to think spending that kind of money might not be worth it if I can just Nair and razor for the week...

does Nair really dry out your skin??