• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

One or Two Spaces after a Period ???

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I was doing 1 space in high school not know that I was wrong. Whoops. I didn't even know two spaces was a thing till this decade. It's a waste of time if you ask me (no one asked).

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
There really isn't room for debate here. When using typewriters, it was essential to put in two spaces manually to provide adequate space for readability. Since word processors and the integrated circuit came on the scene, that extra space is now coded in, rendering that second manual space excessive.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Oh FFS.
One space. ONE space. Two spaces looks awful. It just does. People get passionate about the one vs. two spaces because two spaces looks like a fucking disaster.

Once your eyes get used to the beauty of one space, to see someone put two spaces is just gross.

For the record, I also learned to type in grade 9 typing class with 2 spaces after the period. I got over it. So can you. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Oh FFS.
One space. ONE space. Two spaces looks awful. It just does. People get passionate about the one vs. two spaces because two spaces looks like a fucking disaster.

Once your eyes get used to the beauty of one space, to see someone put two spaces is just gross.

For the record, I also learned to type in grade 9 typing class with 2 spaces after the period. I got over it. So can you. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

lol. u mad tho really... . . . . ... . ... . . . . read a book once in a while. :D

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
I did a frantic search in my office and I have no books. :\ Lots of one-spaced reports and published documents, but no books. whon whon.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
None of the books I have feature two spaces.

I defer to the typographic overloads on this issue who are united that one space is standard practice.

derek

TRIBE Member
two spaces is a carry over from typewriters and monospace typefaces; it was used for aesthetics. it's what most of us over 35 were taught to do as well.

typeset text has always used one, which is why you don't see it in most books.

technically you're not incorrect either way. i use two out of habit.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I hereby report that, over the last few months, I have weaned myself from the habit of putting two spaces after periods. I now put one space only.

My writing now looks better, I think, and I find myself noticing that folks who put two spaces after periods are fogeys.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Just fascinating to see these necroposts in this old thread on a Saturday afternoon. I wanna be one of the cool kids too, so maybe I'll try one space after the period as well.

KMW, time for you to update us with a nice review of "Captain Marvel" in that unattended thread instead of reviving this dinosaur! LOL

Last edited: