• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

One more reason not to see movies in the theatre...

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by alexd
I think they are counting o the fact that we are canadian and pretty complacent. I mean, you've paid yer money, sat yerself down, are snuggling into yer girlfriend/boyfriend, have already spent $40 on drinks and popcorn... you ain't gonna leave. until you've seen the movie.

marketing wankers
It's called a "captive audience" and marketing people jizz in their pants whenever they can get one. I'm sure that they mean the 20 minutes of advertising will start at the time the movie is advertised to start.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

phunkymunky

TRIBE Member
i don't see anywhere in that article about them adding on an ADDITIONAL 20 mins. just that it will start 20 mins before the lights go out. okay how is that any different than how things are right now? sounds the exact same...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
they are already showing previews... this wil be *in addition* to the previews. Ads for things like the scentplayer probably.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

squirrely

TRIBE Member
"We call it Reel Entertainment and the plan currently is for the pre-show to play for approximately 20 minutes prior to the lights going out for the feature film presentation."

the lights have always gone out at the time the movie's supposed to start, haven't they? which suggests that these little advertising shows will run prior to the film's start-time.

people always show up early so it's not like they'd be advertising to an empty theatre.

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
I guess we'll find out on April 1st!

I still have a hard time believing the actual movie start times will be pushed back by 20 more minutes. If that happens there will be a huge backlash, Canadian complacency or not. It's just unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination.

I hate to say it, but it makes sense to have more advertising in the 20 minutes leading up to the regular start time. A lot of people show up to movies at least 15 minutes in advance, and currently the stuff they show on-screen during this time is really lame. It could be put to way better use, and if they actually follow through with showing behind-the-scenes stuff, etc (ie not just pure advertising), it sounds like it might actually be a good idea.

Rob

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Ads for things like the scentplayer probably.
Plays a story of your trip to the movie theatre: the smell of $7 popcorn as you get ripped at the concession stand, the smell of pop and gravy that people have spilled on the sticky floors, the smell of urinal cakes from when you had to leave the theatre to take a piss during the important scene where the killer is revealed to be the girlfriend because you underestimated the size of your bladder when the concession girl asked if you'd like to upsize your drink to the extra large for only $0.50 more.

Resolver

TRIBE Member
this wil be *in addition* to the previews. Ads for things like the scentplayer probably.

So what in the friggin frig is this "in addition" supposed to be about?

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
they are already showing previews... this wil be *in addition* to the previews. Ads for things like the scentplayer probably.
I.added.a.bean.and.beer.dinner.to.my.scentplayer.mixing.for.some.live.pa.element.

Resolver

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DJ Doublecross

I hate to say it, but it makes sense to have more advertising in the 20 minutes leading up to the regular start time. A lot of people show up to movies at least 15 minutes in advance, and currently the stuff they show on-screen during this time is really lame. It could be put to way better use, and if they actually follow through with showing behind-the-scenes stuff, etc (ie not just pure advertising), it sounds like it might actually be a good idea.

Rob

The majority of us go and watch a movie with others. This would make sense if you were going to see a movie by yourself. I really don't want to go into a theatre with friends and talk about pointless advertisments. Were here to see "A MOVIE"!!!

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
I'm not following, what difference does it make if you're going by yourself or with friends?

If you're with friends, you'll be talking amongst yourselves during the pre-show whether there's advertising on the screen or not. They're not going to turn the lights down and crank the volume like they do during the movie. If they do, then that's lame too but I have a feeling you'll still be able to talk to your friends while this stuff is on.

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
They are trying to get more $ from advertisers.

It's a dying business imo, like the drive in. I can get better sound qual from my home theatre, but I don't have that huge screen. With the convenience of movies on demand and dvds I think this gives people more reason to stay at home. I just don't think they offer good value anymore.

- Cineplex might buy Famous Players Canada, since Viacom has it up for sale.

-Cineplex profit was down 23% in 2004 despite a rise in revenue (hence the ballyhooed pre-movie network most likely)

- A 10-per-cent drop in attendance at Cineplex Galaxy's movie theatres in the fourth quarter was "due to the lack of blockbuster movies and other factors and not a change in audience habits" according to the CEO

- the average movie viewer at Cineplex spent $3 on pop, candy and popcorn during 2004

Saffron

TRIBE Member
"lets all go to the looooobbyyy... lets all go to the looobbbyyy... lets all go to the loooobyyyy, and grab ourselves some snacks!"

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by phunkymunky
i don't see anywhere in that article about them adding on an ADDITIONAL 20 mins. just that it will start 20 mins before the lights go out. okay how is that any different than how things are right now? sounds the exact same...

i agree.

it sounds like this new marketing thing will run in place of that silly slide-show that they normally do before the lights go out. the lights will still go out at the advertised start time and movies will probably still start 15-25 minutes after that start time (i.e. after all the previews and other stuff).

i generally only go to the movie theatre to see movies that NEED to be seen on a huge screen with huge sound, etc.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
"We call it Reel Entertainment and the plan currently is for the pre-show to play for approximately 20 minutes prior to the lights going out for the feature film presentation."

It says /prior/ to the lights going down, wouldnt that imply it'd show before the lights went down?

So... show starts at 9, lights go down at 9, they'd star this at 8:40?

Taking on an extra 20 mins of features to the already 20-30 mins of commericals would drive away more customers than anything. Sure, for the first time or two people will just sit and suffer, but after that they are more inclined to skip the movie and head over to their fav torrent site.

I'd rather watch a 'making of...' for 20 mins before the movie then trying to guess 'which actress do these lips belong to' 10 times before the show starts.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Saffron
"lets all go to the looooobbyyy... lets all go to the looobbbyyy... lets all go to the loooobyyyy, and grab ourselves some snacks!"

HAHA!

I must find this animation now. I don't know why I'm so entertained by it.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I think previews are pretty good, they help you determine what movie NOT to watch next. You pretty much watch an ENTIRE movie based on the preview. It's so ridiculous.

20 minutes - what also sucks about that is by the time the movie starts you finish all your snacks. Ah-ha! more food sales.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
I.dont.ever.sit.down.45.min.b4.the.movie.anyways.
so.if.a.tree.falls.in.the.woods.and.I'm.not.there.to.here.it.do.I.really.give.a.fuck?

nope.