• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

One more day!

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
if i had only known. my remix would have been me breathing into the pickups on my bass for 10 minutes.

no time for that now!

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
i worked on it a while ago but didn't like where it was going so i forgot about it. this past weekend i started messing around with it and got something good (i think so at least) but not enough time to finish it properly. but besides a few chopped up ice t vocals it really doesn't sound like a remix anyways. the samples provided were shite and whatever i used of them are so heavily filtered they aren't noticeably similar. i made my own bassline, percussions and synths that i think i'll just get rid of the traumaness and call it my own :D

sohaness

TRIBE Member
^ that's pretty much how mine went too.

i started on it when the contest was announced. worked on it for a while, and got something interesting, but then sort of hit a wall, and havent really touched it since.

mine doest sound anything like the original. i only used the vocal, the snare sample, and one other one.

i dont like the way my track progressed....it was too 'linear', and a little boring methinks. perhaps i will post a sample of it...

steve.

T

TRIBE Member
I dont think you guys have anything to lose by sending it in anyways,.. ya never know.

I heard a clip of Otis' remix a while back, sounded really good!

Good Luck!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by T
I dont think you guys have anything to lose by sending it in anyways,.. ya never know.

I heard a clip of Otis' remix a while back, sounded really good!
Thanx man!

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Well I tend to like a lot of Jesse's work, this was one track that I really wasn't too into.

A lot of the samples were out of tune or out of key, which meant working in the weird 'key' he had going on was a bit of a bitch.

We did a mix, but really, it's more of our own track than anything:
http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=7365

I'm guessing we won't win, so if that happens, we'll just yank out the samples and rework it a bit...

Cheers,
JK

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by loopdokter
Well I tend to like a lot of Jesse's work, this was one track that I really wasn't too into.

A lot of the samples were out of tune or out of key, which meant working in the weird 'key' he had going on was a bit of a bitch.

We did a mix, but really, it's more of our own track than anything:
http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=7365

I'm guessing we won't win, so if that happens, we'll just yank out the samples and rework it a bit...

Cheers,
JK
Yea I brought up the sample quality when I first heard them, they were pretty dirty. As far as key went, there was really only a few samples that had enough character to warrant their use in a remix. The character samples ones were pretty decent/fixable/useable. The vocal bit was ugly. The rest were random stabs, hits & pulses that could really be taken from anywhere and really didn't need to be used.

I'm not sure if mine would be considered anyway because it's drum & bass, and I'm less than enthusiastic about how that appeals to a progressive label. But regardless I had fun doing it and look forward to seeing who did win.

Decent mix tho LD.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
here's a small small clip of one of the 'remixes' i was messing with. it's not mastered/eq'd, sequenced, or put together properly...yet. i was just fiddling with some newly aquired plugins/apps using a piece i had already put together. beh.

l/p = toronto/raves...thanks to kidepic for the heads up on the ftp!

Last edited:

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by OTIS

Yea I brought up the sample quality when I first heard them, they were pretty dirty. As far as key went, there was really only a few samples that had enough character to warrant their use in a remix. The character samples ones were pretty decent/fixable/useable. The vocal bit was ugly. The rest were random stabs, hits & pulses that could really be taken from anywhere and really didn't need to be used.

I'm not sure if mine would be considered anyway because it's drum & bass, and I'm less than enthusiastic about how that appeals to a progressive label. But regardless I had fun doing it and look forward to seeing who did win.

Decent mix tho LD.
Yeah, I wasn't too into the parts given and it was very obvious that Jesse had neglected a lot of the parts from the original, but fair enough....

I was actually quite surprised with how much white noise was left in the samples! I would have figure Jesse would have cleaned them up a bit. I did my best with a few of the samples that caught my ear the most and then we put them to use.

Thanks about the comments. I did it with Aequitas from the board.

Cheers,
JK