1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

one love, one life, 1%

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by derek, Oct 1, 2010.

1. derek

derek TRIBE Member

apparetnely bono's one campign only contributes about 1% of total donations to charity. the articles not clear if this is the case annually since it's inception, or just 2008 which is the year they give some actual figures for.

i won't speculate as to bono's direct involvement, as i'm sure there a team of people managing the charity, it doesn't look very good though.

seems, the head of the organization, hunter, is stating 'one' is not a charity, but rather an advocacy group. sounds like somebody's trying to protect their ass.

Bono Charity Scandal | Sympatico.ca inMusic

Bono Charity Scandal

ONE Campaign hands over 1% of donations

Irish rocker Bono has come under fire following news reports that his anti-poverty foundation the ONE Campaign gives just over 1% of its funds to charity. That's 1%, as in 'one love, one life.'

Bono, lead singer of legendary rock band U2, established the foundation back in 2002. Now the New York Daily News has reported that of the $14,993,873 in public donations it received in 2008, only $184,732 was distributed to charities.

At the same time, more than $8 million was allegedly spent on salaries for ONE Campaign employees.

The findings came after a PR campaign by the foundation sent boxes stuffed with bags of Starbucks coffee, Moleskin leather notebooks, $20 water bottles, band-aids, pens and cookies to reporters in New York. The PR blitz was timed to coincide with President Barack Obama's push for AIDS funding for Africa.

Kimberly Hunter, a spokeswoman for the organization, wouldn't say how much the presents to reporters cost, but said the intent - apparently successful - was to get noticed. 'Sometimes it's pretty hard to get through to reporters with the information about the lives of the world's poorest people,' Hunter told the Post. 'We think it's important enough to try and break through the clutter... That's why we sent the boxes.'

Now, as bloggers and TV commentators blast Bono and the foundation for the perceived misuse of public donations, Hunter says it's all a misunderstanding of the organization's role. ONE, she says 'does advocacy work, not charity work.'

2. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

he's the new Mother Teresa

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

ONE.org's response:

"STATEMENT BY ONE ON RECENT MEDIA REPORTS

Sept. 23, 2010

Recently, there have been some confusing and inaccurate stories about ONE's work. So we wanted to set the record straight.

ONE does not fundraise from the general public and we do not receive any government funding. We are funded almost entirely by a handful of philanthropists on our board of directors to raise awareness and pressure political leaders to fight extreme poverty through smart and effective policies and programs.

With the exception of our annual ONE Africa Award, which is given to an effective grassroots organization in Africa, ONE does not directly fund charity projects in developing countries, work which is done well by other NGOs.

ONE's staff of 120 policy experts, media professionals, and campaigners working in 7 countries around the globe carry out ONE's work by:

Educating people, including our 2 million members, about the crisis of extreme poverty and the solutions
    Encouraging the media to cover these issues
    Working with leaders and activists in Africa and the west to address structural issues, like trade, debt relief, investment and good governance, that are essential for countries to lift themselves out of poverty, and
    Pressing political leaders in the US, UK, Germany, Brussels, France and other countries around the world to pass and fund smart policies and programs that help lift people out of poverty.
    ONE's staff is the principle tool through which it fulfills these goals. Reports that have questioned why ONE spends a large percentage of our budget on staff fail to understand how ONE works. ONE's largest funder, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, put out this statement today to clarify this point:

"ONE is not a fundraising group, but an important advocacy organization whose engagement of its two million supporters has helped to improve the lives of some of the world's poorest and most vulnerable people," said Tom Scott - Deputy Director of Communications for The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

ONE has been a relentless advocate and we are proud of the role we and our members have played in successfully fighting for smart, effective programs and policies that have saved lives and improved futures in poor countries.

As a result of those programs, today more than 4 million Africans have access to life-saving AIDS medication, up from only 50,000 people in 2002. Malaria deaths have been cut in half in countries across Africa in less than 2 years. As other examples of our work, ONE helped to successfully press for debt relief for Haiti after the devastating earthquake there earlier this year and played an important role in securing new US legislation requiring better transparency in the oil, gas and mining industries - an important step to ending backhanded deals between energy companies and corrupt politicians that hurt people in poor countries.

Speaking of ONE and its work, Norm Coleman, CEO of American Action Network and former U.S. Senator (R-MN), said:

"I've been familiar with ONE for several years and have the greatest respect for their accomplishments. Their sole mission - for which they receive no tax dollars, nor do they solicit contributions from the public - is to educate about and advocate for smart policies to help some of the poorest people in the world develop their communities and countries in ways that are sustainable -- and stable. They have helped millions of people worldwide. To criticize ONE because it does not make direct charitable contributions is a bit like criticizing General Motors for not making iPods."

The media kits that were mentioned in recent press stories, which were hand delivered by staff and volunteers to reporters in New York, were an effort to focus reporters on the Millennium Development Goals, a set of promises world leaders made to cut poverty, hunger and disease by 2015. In hindsight, the kits were not the best way to gain attention for the issues and we regret that sending them distracted from the work we are trying to do and the issues we care about."

4. derek

derek TRIBE Member

so i guess the question is, how have their advocacy intitiatives increased awareness about the situation in africa?

i'm thinking they probably should have done a better job from day one explaining exactly what their role is to the public. looks like some were getting some hefty salaries.

communication fail at is finest.

even as an advocacy group, the fact at the end of the day they only have about 1% left in the budget to donate is appalling. there are private corps that contribute more than 1%.

5. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

If you divide the eight million that went to salaries amongst the 120 employees you get 66666.666666666666666666666666.

I think ONE might be Satan incarnate.

6. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

LOL - Awesome!

7. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I can get paid $66,000 a year to make media aware of problems in Africa?

And I accomplish this by bying gift packs and sending them out?

Sign me up!

8. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

^ a good lobbyist makes considerably more money than that.

i don't understand how any of this is a scandal. The explanations given by ONE, the gates foundation and that senator dude are reasonable and make sense.

it's an organization set up to do good. if the people that are funding the organization have no problem with the job being done or the way the money is being spent, why are other wallies - who have not given money to the organization or done much to themselves spread awareness of the issues - so concerned about this shit?

9. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

bono really bugs me. thom yorke he is not.

10. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

Questions for Dambisa Moyo
    The Anti-Bono

11. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I haven't looked at Bono the same way since I saw that Southpark episode.

12. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

agreed 100%.
    does this all come down to people not understanding what an advocacy organization does?

13. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

14. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, charities are as corruptible as corporations.

I heard recently that because $ collection for charities is being farmed out that only 32 cents of your dollar donated is getting to the charity. And then you can imagine what happens with the rest of that.

Anyway from an ethical viewpoint is it really a good idea to continually feed a starving nation and prolong the suffering.

15. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

16. wayne kenoff

wayne kenoff TRIBE Member

it would seem to me that Bono's group has done a helluva job raising awareness and calling out governments of the G8 to do more. Publicity costs money.

17. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

^^that would be a good thread (KIVA)

pick somebody and see what happens

18. derek

derek TRIBE Member

for which there is no issue; the issue it seems is they didn't do a very good job notifying the public what their exact role is. Also, even for an advocacy group it's still pretty sad that at the end of the day only 1% of revenues went to donations. i'm not expecting the percentage a charity (and we all know some that are atrocious) would be expected to contribute, but c'mon 1%.

all it did in regards to the g8 was get them to put forward some commitments (which they do repeatedly at any rate). let's see if the commitments are realized. how many times in the past have pledges not been followed through? i won't blame 'one' for this result though, that's us not holding our own gov't to be responsible for keeping their commiments.

my own views on charity to africa are mixed, as what africa really needs is the rest of the world to treat, trade, and conduct business with them fairly. of course investment is required to build infrastructure, improve education, and train the locals to become self sufficient.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  19. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

25% went to his sunglasses fund.

Africa is really bright and he has to focus on more important things.