1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

omg, I've become my father

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Krzysiu, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

my dad... hes a winner, no doubt about it... but he's also a goof. Picture the lovechild Bill Nye the Science guy and Bob Saget. All goofy grins, inane trivia, and silly sayings.

tonight, I was getting ready while talking at my wiseass cat housemate when I caught myself in the mirror... acting exactly like him. right down to the lopsided grin and wavy hand guestures... dang!!

I knew we are our parent's children, but holy crap.. I didn't think there was an actual moment where it dawns on you that you're the spitting image of what a drunken tryst in the back of a chevy nova while on a road trip produced.

well, poppa-san, I am you v.2 (but with my mom's horrible sick and dark sense of humour, GET HELP WOMAN!!!) and I know how I am going to turn out (read: nerd!)... here's hoping I can live up to you!

so who do you take after? mother, father, aunt? you're mother's old "friend" tony?

its insane how we mirror the past generations with our mannerisms, eh?

2. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Indeed. My grandmother always says that I have the same mannerisms as my grandfather who passed away before I was born. It's pretty interesting.

3. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

I've definately got my dads pride. If anything threatens my pride I go a little overboard in defending it.

4. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

i didn't get to know my father until i was about 14 - prior to that, he was just an elusif figure that rarely wandered into my life (and even if he did, there was always drama)

as i've gotten older, i've noticed aside from things like wearing our watch on our right arm (both right handed), we have similiar handwriting (especially our block printing), and we share the same eye.

The pix i took in Ireland - it was really my first time w/ a digital camera and i've never been an avid photographer prior to that....but after a day of sight seeing, we went over our pictures. When he saw my pix, he got all excited and pulled out some photo albums from several yrs ago of shots he took @ the same sites. We ended taking the SAME FRICKING SHOTS, same angles, down to the little branches that framed the shot. It was weird.

5. kat

kat TRIBE Member

[gasp] youre like a lion!

6. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Not sure how much like my parents I am (yet). However, I have found myself thinking 'gosh, I must be getting old'. I remeber watching a trailer for some video game, and thinking 'christ, that violence is rather exessive and not needed', or watching music videos and thinking that the swearing was over the top/whatever.

7. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Any family friends who see me the rare times they do immediately remark that I look just like my dad. I can look forward to looking like a pudgy brown Al Pacino with a decent height advantage in that case. Thankfully I don't pass out midway through my first beer. Personality wise, mom's tenacity, among other things.

8. Kalemic

Kalemic TRIBE Promoter

So where did you end up getting all the jerk genes from?

9. ila

ila TRIBE Member

My dad can lounge around like nobody's business. The man seriously holds down a couch. He eats pretty much all his meals infront of the tv and he's usually trying to do this from a lying-down position.

I haven't quite mastered being able to eat while lying down, but I am learning.

Also, I have his face and we both have high cholesterol.

I still can't tell if my mother and I are related.

10. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

I take after my mom more than I would like. Apparently I can be just as intimidating when I'm mad and I have her wicked sense of sarcasm/humour. I still don't have the knack of using all the saint's names when I'm swearing but maybe that comes later.

11. deep

deep TRIBE Member

jerk store

12. kat

kat TRIBE Member

jerk jeans yea!

everyone says i look/act like my dad. but i know ive got a lot of my mums weird stuff in there too. i think im a half and half mix. i get the weird, loud mouth, sarcastic alcoholic thing from my dads side..and the shy, gibberish language, obsessive compulsive thing from my mums.

a lot of people in my family say i look really similar to my gran when she was young:
    [​IMG]

which would be awesome, but i still think im more like my dad : /

13. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

I like it when people look like the ancesters... its interesting to see what genes get past down. hand-me-down facial structures.

apparently I look exactly like my great grandfather... like spot on... except he had light light grey eyes while I have dark brown, and I have about a foot and a half and 50 lbs on him.

my dad is a couple inches taller than me and lords it over me (we're still playground mentality on this issue, hahaha) but I weigh about 20 lbs more than him. I am really heavy for my build... I think i take after my mom on that one... shes one tough sister... it must be her finnish blood... giving her the strength to handle a rouge reindeer! I've only battled a goat so far and we called it a draw...

come to think of it, Commasplice looks a lot more like my dad than I do, but I've got all the mannerisms and social ticks that Pater has. weird, eh?

I also love it when good looking people have ugly babies but thats cause I am petty and jealous of attractive couples.... :D

14. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Kait you do look a lot like your grandmother when she was young - except your face shape is not as round like hers

15. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

Just curious as to how you know about the cholesterol. My dad has high cholesterol, and my diet is/was absolutely horrible. I went to my doctor (also his doctor) and asked maybe they should check my level. She said not to worry about it and wouldn't do it because I was so young (27) :confused:

So if people in their 20's could have cholesterol problems, I could be 2 seconds away from a heart attack and wouln't know it.

16. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

On my mom's side of the family, the Wallace side, our genes are very dominant.

good thing too, my nanny and gramps were stunning. My grampa especial was very gq'esque. so hot. my nan was stunning. Both of them had very strong features which is where I contribute mine from, with the exception of my biological dads BIG nose.

17. ila

ila TRIBE Member

yeah, go to another doctor. I'm 25 and my doctor routinely checks mine because of my family history. plenty of people in their 20's have high cholesterol. it's easily treated with meds now though so no worries, you're not going to die if you have high cholesterol.

also, change your diet :)

18. annec

annec TRIBE Member

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

19. shylock_one

shylock_one TRIBE Member

Stunning pic

20. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

Haha, I couldn't escape a big nose either. I have a lot of my dad's bone structure, his lips/nose/cheekbones but I have my granny's hazel eyes. It's hard to really separate things between my parents because they both have similar features/colouring, but she's croatian and he's native. It's funny how everything interacts, no one in my family strongly resembles anyone else, it's like we all got a unique mishmash of parts. Personality wise however it is obvious we're related.

21. The Tesseract

The Tesseract TRIBE Member

What's that line now....

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his."