• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

omg free cereal

millicent

TRIBE Member
I was at no frills and i bought a box of post banana nut crunch cereal for $0.97 on sale. And every box comes with a manufacturer's coupon for $1 off your next purchase of post selects cereal ("all sizes, all varieties"). Which means that every subsequent box you buy they have to give you 3 cents. Right?

kmac

TRIBE Member
I don't know if you can use a coupon on a sale item, although it's been years since I was in the grocery industry.

millicent

TRIBE Member
But it's the manufacturer's coupon.. meaning that the manufacturer reimburses the store $1 no matter what amount they sold it for

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Aerius Zension
My old roommate bought like 50 boxes of Shreddies to get those free movie passes years back.

i worked in a grocery store.. we just opened the cases, cut the coupons off the all the individual boxes and tossed them in the dumpster! :D

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by millicent
Which means that every subsequent box you buy they have to give you 3 cents. Right?
Wrong. You're charged the tax on the original price, and THEN the coupon's value is deducted, leaving only the taxes that you have to pay for.

millicent

TRIBE Member
there's no taxes on cereal

seriously, this is a perfectly viable scheme for obtaining free cereal and bringing down the man all at the same time

it is the perfect solution for those among you who could never quite harmonize your love of convenient breakfast foods with your hate for the soulless diabolical megacorporations that produce them

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by millicent
update: cereal tastes like crap

lol.. get what you pay for?

Cereal wise I stick with cornflakes, or cheerios... they both come in huge economy size boxes and only cost 4 bucks.. but they are classic and still taste good to me.