1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Omaha Nebraska – Please Help

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Ditto Much, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

I need to talk to someone who has spent time in Nebraska and specifically in Omaha. I know this is a long shot but more than one member of tribe has found themselves in strange places over the years.

I recently got a job offer that I didn’t expect much from, however they have decided to move forward and I now need to make a decision.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

the people there are corn fed

a gf i had in 8th grade now lives there with her 3 or 4 kids (none mine).

that is all i know about omaha.

ha!

3. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

LOL!!!!

4. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

Warren Buffett is from Omaha. They call him the Oracle of Omaha. maybe he could help you.

5. Prickly Pete

Prickly Pete TRIBE Member

Start tearing the old man down
    Run past the heather and down to the old road
    Start turning the grain into the ground
    Roll a new leaf over
    In the middle of the night there’s an old man
    Treading around in the gathered rain
    Hey mister if you want to walk on water
    Would you drop a line my way

Omaha
    Somewhere in middle america
    Get right to the heart of matters
    It’s the heart that matters more
    I think you’d better turn your ticket in
    And leave your money right at the door

Start threading the needle
    Brush past the shuttle that slides through the cold room
    Start turning the wool across the wire
    Roll the new life over
    In the middle of the night there’s an old man
    Threading his toes through a bucket of rain
    Hey mister if you want to walk on water
    You’re only going to walk all over me

Omaha

Start running the banner down
    Drop past the color come up through the summer rain
    Start turning the girl into the ground
    Roll a new life over
    In the middle of the day there’s a young man
    Rolling around in the earth and rain
    Hey mister if you’re going to walk on water, you know you’re only going to walk all over me

Omaha

6. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

i don't have to have spent time in omaha, nebraska to know that you shouldn't do it!

7. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Well Jeffe, it's not the post office that is interested in hiring you, is it? If so I say watch out for the Dead Letter room.

8. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Omaha Nebraska – Please Help

No actually it’s a company that imports and distributes rubber dog shit (amongst other equally silly products).

Just so that there is no doubt about this its purely a money grab from my stand point. I figure loosing two years of my life right now isn’t to bad and they’re offer is pretty fucking close to $50 (usd) and hour.

It’s hard to say no to even though I'm saying yes for all the wrong reasons.

9. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

how much would it take?

I agree but at the end of the day I do have a number for just about anything.

10. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad TRIBE Member

I have family in Omaha and have visited lots. What's your question(s)?

11. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Even if they sent me to the moon for free, I wouldn't work there.

12. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

I've been there a couple times.

13. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Where, on the moon?

14. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

yer a moon.

15. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

this is where bruce springsteen recorded his darkest, and best, album. in a lonely motel in the midwest, he exorcised his demons through ths album. shortly afterwards, he would record the more commercially-successful 'born in the u.s.a.'

i think we drove through nebraska on our way to the 'burning man festival' four years ago. when it happened, i remember thinking, hey, this is where bruce springsteen recorded that album.

and that is all i have to say about nebraska.

16. Muad'ib

Muad'ib Well-Known TRIBEr

i imagine living in nebraska would be like living in an american version of saskatchewan.

that said, saskatchewan girls are the stuff dreams are made out of, one day i'm gonna marry me one.

17. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Omaha Nebraska – Please Help

On the practical side.

- Do I require a car or is public transit a possibility.
    - What would I be looking at to rent a one-bedroom apartment in a couple of neighborhoods?
    - Is this a relatively safe place to live or is it in the middle of some insane crystal meth epidemic.

On the social side

- Do you have any family members in the 25 - 40 range that'd be able to show me around a little?
    - Are there any clubs worth mentioning?
    - What is the nightlife like?
    - Is living in the heart of bible belt as an atheist going to be a major problem, is church life summarily linked to corporate life like elsewhere in the region.

18. miguel

miguel TRIBE Member

i spent a week in omaha once in 96, strangely enough.

they have steaks you can order at the airport

nebraska is a strange place and it's also very cold in the winter. i would not live there. too many white people.

the cops are assholes there too

19. Chicago Kid

Chicago Kid TRIBE Member

My old roommate from Chicago was from Omaha...went to school with one or two of the guys from 311.

Do you like football?

20. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Not so much but I have watched an cheered many an NFL game over the years.

21. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

My second cousin is dating a guy from Omaha. They have all you can eat KFC restaurants. ALL YOU CAN EAT!!

22. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I drove through Omaha on my way to and back from the Zion National Park / Bryce Canyon / Grand Canyon (man that was a great trip!).

Omaha is in the middle of about a 9 hour drive through the most boring flat plains towards Denver (West), and about another 7 or so hours to Chicago (East). There's fuck all there and it's ugly.

Don't move. :)

On another note the drive just west of Denver (through the mountains) is amazing. That is all.

23. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

hahaha
    in highschool my boyfriend and his buddies did a cross north america road trip.
    he made them stop at one of those all you can eat KFCs. the pics are hilarious. everyone else looks like they are in their own personal hell, and he is grinning like a pig in shit, surrounded by deep fried chicken.

24. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Sweet zombie jesus

Just to put this on the record the very concept of all you can eat frightens me. A few years ago I went to Indiana with a friend of mine to visit some friends of his and to go to a driving school. Trip was a bust but I came away a couple of startling observations.

1) Buying ammo and liquor at the same time is a good idea.
    2) White Castle does not produce anything that remotely resembles food meant for human consumption
    3) 'All you can eat' means look the other way.

I'm not a small guy I'm pretty heavy and have been most of my life. I simply couldn't stand the sight of the human tragedy that was an all you can eat Mexican restaurant. There were 12-year-old kids that looked so bloated in obesity that I simply couldn't eat. Not even the fruit was appetizing. Including adults and children there were over 100 people in the restaurant and not a single one of them was a healthy weight.

Walking into a shooting range and borrowing a glock without having to show ID

PRICELESS!!!

25. X_Door

X_Door TRIBE Member

Hey man, what's wrong with an all-you-can-eat KFC? I regularly go to the one on Dick Road in Buffalo. It's a true test of manhood to wrestle local gangbangers for the last thigh in the bin.