• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Olympics: CTV vs. CBC

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Aren't most sports being commentated by 1 sportscaster and 1 ex athlete from that sport? Most of the sports I have watched have been this.

Your right I haven't seen any stories about Vancouver or it's history.
It could be, and this is just off the top of my head, that Since the audience is Canadian and we all have some knowledge, more then Turin or Bejing, that it wasn't needed. Also when broadcasting in somewhat our timezone and not halfway around the world there isn't a need for that kind of filler.

Like i said before the people running these sports broadcast are the SAME people who did it for CBC.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
The commentary during the sports is fine. I'm just saying instead of watching two On-Air "Personalities" eat lunch they could have a former medalist going over the rules of curling and taking a look at the teams involved.

Except for the actual sports coverage it seems like a shitty morning show.

mushroom

TRIBE Member
What happened to hiring a ton of former athletes/coaches to provide the commentary and background? There has been some of this but not nearly enough.

Also what about actually celebrating the city of Vancouver? I haven't seen any pieces visiting landmarks or talking about the history of the area at all.

Totally agree! I haven't seen anything on Vancouver or the surrounding sites.

I have no problem with short interviews with the winners of the various events. But man, they've featured the Americans way too much. I feel like I know more about Shawn White and Lindsey Vonn than any of our Canadian athletes.

Its embarrassing. We have around 200 athletes competing at the Games and they decided to do a sit down interview with Lindsey Vonn?!!

What the fuck is that?!!!!

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I've seen sitdown interviews with lots of Canadian athletes.

Lindsay Vonn is the star of one of the major attraction events. She has a pretty rad story too.

I'm all for complaining about stuff but so may of the gripes in here are l a m e.

The coverage has been far more widespread if you actually want to watch sports that it's laughable to compare to other years. Who cares about all the in between crap.

SPORTS!

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
they decided to do a sit down interview with Lindsey Vonn?!!

She's smokin hot she has a bright future in Playboy, and the one that placed 2nd in the downhill.

I'm watching the women's halfpipe, who in the hell is the female commentator on CTV? She's trying to speak street, and snowboarding slang, she's more entertaining than the boarders.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Zorro

TRIBE Member
She's smokin hot she has a bright future in Playboy, and the one that placed 2nd in the downhill.

I'm watching the women's halfpipe, who in the hell is the female commentator on CTV? She's trying to speak street, and snowboarding slang, she's more entertaining than the boarders.

Well our gold medal winner was doing it for a bit and she IS a snowboarder, I also believe that the other women Tara is a retired snowboarder.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
Well our gold medal winner was doing it for a bit and she IS a snowboarder, I also believe that the other women Tara is a retired snowboarder.

Really!! I thought she was a Zamboni driver.

This was on tsn around 5pm, Jamie Campbell was talking too. The woman was Tara, I haven't seen her but she sounds 50.

octo

TRIBE Member
Jamie Cambell is such a dork. he sounded like such i try hard when he was doing the men's snowboard cross.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
BBJ, perhaps you're not the demo for CBC. They have Dragon's Den and The Tudors, two highly rated and successful shows that prolly don't appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Also, losing a song for HNIC sparked quite a successful competition in search for a new theme song. HNIC draws in a bigger audience than most TSN games combined. Their presentation is actually award winning.
have you heard the song? it is beyond wretched
2 shows, that are barely watchable, serious?

the lowest common denominator PAYS the bills, so if that was supposed to be a jab, nice one, case you just proved my point
if the stupidest ppl or the most normal with blase tastes arent into it, then who else would be?

something that is publicly funded which gives it a leg up and then has ad money STILL cant get the loot for the TWO biggest events going should be mothballed, we still have the canadian tax credits and such for canadian producers to get their shows aired

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Totally agree! I haven't seen anything on Vancouver or the surrounding sites.

Its embarrassing. We have around 200 athletes competing at the Games and they decided to do a sit down interview with Lindsey Vonn?!!

What the fuck is that?!!!!

So I have seen things on British Columbia for the past 2-3 days AND profiles on Canadian Athletes.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
Americans Grumble as CTV Replaces CBC as Canada’s Olympics TV - NYTimes.com

DETROIT — It was an instinctual move, honed through years of watching the Olympics on television. Tom August, a resident of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., changed channels to see what was on CBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It’s an option available to many American border cities like Detroit, Buffalo and Seattle, and a secret escape for Americans who do not want to watch NBC.

CTV, Canada’s largest private broadcaster, won the rights to broadcast the Vancouver Games, and August’s cable company does not carry it.

“I thought it was weird the CBC was showing ‘Coronation Street’ during the opening ceremonies,” August said. “I’ve just always gone back and forth between NBC and the CBC, usually sticking more with the CBC. It took a second, then it hit me: I’m not going to get to see the Olympics on the CBC. I am going to have to watch NBC.

“I’m not happy about that, because I think NBC does a terrible job. I want to watch sports live, not watch NBC’s commentators talking in front of a fake fireplace.”

August, 38, is not alone in his CBC withdrawal. Watching CBC for Olympic coverage has been a tradition for many Americans since 1992. But CBC was outbid by a broadcasting group of Rogers Media and Bell Globemedia, which owns CTV. The group paid $153 million for the rights to become Canada’s Olympic broadcaster for the Vancouver Games and the 2012 Games in London.

Dan Imby of Shelby Township, Mich., also found himself wandering from NBC to CBC. CTV is available over the air, but most viewers have replaced their antennas with cable or satellite television.

Imby cannot get CTV, and he says he feels stuck with NBC.

“I love watching the hockey on the CBC because they know the sport, they love it all,” Imby, 46, said. “This is only going to be the biggest event of the Olympics, hockey in Canada, and we have no hockey on the CBC. No Don Cherry, no Ron MacLean. Terrible. I always liked how the Canadians showed everything, not just their own teams.”

The loss of the CBC seems to be providing a boost to NBC affiliates along the border. There is no way to determine how many Americans watch Canadian programming, as ratings are determined only within the country.

Ratings for NBC affiliates in Seattle, Detroit and Buffalo have risen in the first week of the Vancouver Games. Detroit’s affiliate, WDIV, had a 55 percent rating increase for the first few days of coverage over the same period of the 2006 Turin Games.

“It’s certainly a difference for us not having the CBC as competition in our market,” said Marla Drutz, WDIV’s vice president and general manager. “I’ve worked in this market for 25 years, and that’s always been a constant during the Olympics — there was a choice of what channel you wanted to watch. The rest of the country never had that choice. I think that’s why it may be jarring for some people not to have the CBC.

“But we’re thrilled with how the Games are playing out for us on NBC; our ratings are strong.”

Buffalo’s NBC affiliate had a 10 percent increase in its ratings over 2006. And perhaps not so coincidentally, Buffalo is also one of the few places in the United States where CTV is available on cable systems.

Sharon Lindstedt, a resident of Buffalo, has been watching CTV’s Olympic coverage.

“It’s better than NBC, but it’s not as good as the CBC,” Lindstedt, 53, said. “I’m trying to like the CTV. They’re a bit flashier than CBC. I know I’m lucky to have it. There is a clear difference between them and NBC. But I’d prefer CBC over them all. They’re more sophisticated, not as flashy.”

She added, “NBC would do well to learn from them.”

Frustrated American CBC Olympics fans are taking their protest to the Internet.

Kurt O’Keefe, a bankruptcy lawyer based in Detroit, started a Facebook page that longs for the CBC.

His Facebook group description reads: “In Detroit, we miss CBC. They covered the Games as if they were about the athletes and the competition, and not self-promotion of network personalities.” O’Keefe, a resident of Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich., said he was resigned to trying to make the best of this situation.

“I know we’ve been lucky to have options of how we watched the Olympics,” O’Keefe, 56, said. “Maybe we got spoiled. We’re now finding out how the Olympics looks to the rest of the country who can’t watch Canadian TV. Once you’ve had that choice, it makes it really hard to go back to just having NBC.”

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
The interviewers on CTV are absolutely terrible.

Did anyone else see the interview with Steve Omischl after his last run for men's aerials? The woman was basically running him down and asking him whether he agreed that his entire career was tainted by his awful performance, when he finished 7th which is still fairly respectable. He seemed in decent spirits at the beginning of the interview but by the end was so down on himself because this chick kept going on and on about how huge a failure he was. Then she went and basically did the same thing to one of his teammates.

It's just disgusting, and then I bet this same network would later complain about the pressure put on the athletes to settle for nothing less than gold.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
We have the games on TVs all over work which is great. I can look up from my desk and there is an event going on. Because I am casually watching often I look up and it;'s the middle of a run. Like right now womens snowboard duel slalom is on. But CTV doesn't have any info on the screen during the race. No idea who is racing, what the time is like, who is leading, nothing. The only info they give is who is racing right before the race starts. I've noticed this throughout the Olympics.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
And the other thing I dislike about CTV commentary is that during races, they touch on the athletes personal lives rather than on their accomplishments.

Who cares if some Russian got a shitzu as a dog because they look like "little mops with feet" if I have no idea what her international rank and her chances to medal are...

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Who cares if some Russian got a shitzu as a dog because they look like "little mops with feet" if I have no idea what her international rank and her chances to medal are...

they're trying to hard to come across as human. on the morning show they thought it would be cool to replay the interview with Jimmy Fallon, watch him jump up and down on the chair. then they got all bitchy because it was now broken, and it cost quite a bit. Thanks for the guilt trip.

so that sort of live situation hardly reflects all this pre planned humanity.

If I hear that believe song one more time synched with footage of a gold medalist, i'm going to barf.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
I care. because I mean, really, who the hell knew that Russians were allowed to have pets. Such story-op-eds are designed to humanize them a little bit. Which, imo, is much more important than whether they win some medal or not. (btw, the Canadian team totally stomped on you! Fuck you, russkies, with yer moppy poodle dogs!)