• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Olympics: CTV vs. CBC

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
To be fair, they announced the artists would be lypsynching before the event to avoid what happened in Beijing. They stressed of course that in this case they would be lypsynching to their own voices as opposed to what happened in China.

SJN

TRIBE Member
The slo-mo closeups in HD are absolutely unreal.

Ive read articles recently on how theres a 'fear' that the visual quality of TV coverage is rapidly becoming so good that people actually prefer to watch sporting events at home rather than live at the venues. It's coming sooner than we think. I know some within the NFL have actually voiced that opinion.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Ive read articles recently on how theres a 'fear' that the visual quality of TV coverage is rapidly becoming so good that people actually prefer to watch sporting events at home rather than live at the venues. It's coming sooner than we think. I know some within the NFL have actually voiced that opinion.
Typical sky is falling argument. Multiple cameras has enabled a more nuanced viewing of a live event for decades. In general, live spectators are attracted to the collective "place" and the thrill of being next to the action (complete with the attendant sensory stimulation). Do you think that those at the bottom of the Super G view a fraction of the action available to those at home? No way, yet people still want to be there. Similarly, you get much better views of the field watching NFL in HD, but that doesn't compare to freezing your balls off while some hussy in acid washed jeans pukes on her Bill's parka beside you while her husband screams at the kicker for being a "useless limp-dick European".

mushroom

TRIBE Member
I definitely prefer the CBC coverage, in fact I miss it. They just do a far superior show. But I agree with some others here that the TSN crew and Brian Williams has helped make the coverage okay.

As for the relevance of the CBC that's been debated, just a point to bring up, the CBC has the rights to the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cup. This is an event that is the biggest TV draw in the world, far superior to the Winter Olympics. So I'd say they came up with pretty good "plan B".

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

billy

TRIBE Member
awesome. CTV had to show the fact that their broadcast desk at GM Place fucking rolls out and pops up into place above the Zamboni entrance for the intermission.

actually...it is kinda cool. obviously they had different contractors than BC Place. :p

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Why the fuck are they interviewing Michael Booblay right now? He's not an athlete. Aren't there like 200 athletes on the canadian team and a ton of coaches etc? Do we only get to hear from them if they win something?

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
BBJ, perhaps you're not the demo for CBC. They have Dragon's Den and The Tudors, two highly rated and successful shows that prolly don't appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Also, losing a song for HNIC sparked quite a successful competition in search for a new theme song. HNIC draws in a bigger audience than most TSN games combined. Their presentation is actually award winning.

That said, on CTV the curly haired brunette singing the lame Cdn Olympics theme song makes me want to drink bleach. I do miss the Olympics on CBC, however, when I think back to Olympics memories, I think of CBC's coverage.

I'm actually watching some of NBC's coverage to get the US perspective, which overall has better commercials. Apparently on the Today Show they showed a picture of Michael J Fox and mistook him for Terry Fox. Lovely.

tella

TRIBE Member
is it just me or is lisa laflamme perma drunk? the weather guy that reports live in the early morning is also SUPER painful to watch. cbc > ctv.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
yes.

and I totally love the daily stephen harper plug. There for Canada's first medal, then off to save Haiti!

AMc

TRIBE Member
hahaha what's wrong with CTVs coverage?

Nothing wrong with CTV's coverage. I will say they're doing a good job (esp with the quantity of channels), but since this is about medals and good ol' competition.....

CBC - gold
CTV - silver/bronze

Zorro

TRIBE Member
First off NBC coverage is horrible and almost none existent. They are being lambasted by almost every media outlet. People in the state of Washington are furious as well, because they receive CBC in their lovely state BUT NOT CTV.

There is no way CBC past coverage can even compare to what the CTV has done for this Olympics for Canada. Yeah I could do without the MTV people, and some of the personalities I don't agree with. However they have brought our nations 2 sports networks together. They mixed up, paired the CTV, TSN and Sportsnet crews, they are showing everything LIVE and they are broadcasting on over 4 channels. Did I mention the best part of CBC broadcast is the main cog of these CTV Olympics in Brian Williams.

So like I said, might not like ALL the personalities but there is no way any of the past CBC broadcast has been able to reach the whole nation and fans of different sports as well as these CTV games did I mention the superb web coverage they are adding to all those channels and sports to watch.

Hey we could be forced to watch the 5 hours of tape delay that the Americans get.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I wasn't used to having cable so It's taken me a bit to get a grasp on which channels are which, but I am enjoying the expansive coverage.

It's mostly the commentators I have some issues with. But I'm fussy about that and have high standards for how that should be done.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I think the whole CBC vs CTV debate is more of sympathetic feeling towards the CBC and not actual visual and sounding memory's of the CBC. Truth be told the format is the same, and a lot of the people behind the scenes for the CBC games are now behind the scenes for CTV games.

Also of note CBC doesn't really have the money to put on the same expanded broadcast that CTV is able to this year.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
It's mostly the commentators I have some issues with. But I'm fussy about that and have high standards for how that should be done.

I am not so sure this would have been better with CBC.
Like I said more channels, more personalities the greater likelihood you are not going to enjoy ALL of them.

Had it been CBC it would have been only two, Ron and Brian, splitting the day in half.

I should note I was so happy to hear I wouldn't have to listen to Campbell anymore at Blue Jays game, now I get his awesome, rad commentating for some of my favorite sports.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
I think it's the fact that they interview Canadian "Celebrities" for their reactions...almost like they're trying to push the whole ET Canada culture down our throats more instead of interviewing other athletes/coaches.

They're trying to make the Olympics into an Oprah style Daytime Talk Show that bugs me.

Meh, I just turn the sound off and run on my treadmill anyway while watching.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
most athletes and coachs don\t want to interviews before their events.

I like the fact that they interview the American winners at Whisler as well.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I just hate how much fluff there is. We have it on every tv at work as we are a very big sponsor and every time I look there is an interview with someone like Michael BoobLay, or those Aftershow MTV peeps talking about athletes hooking up, or where they watched the Alpine Skiing event (they said the couch in their hotel suite) and right now there are two of their personalities sitting on a patio with plates of food in front of them.

There is soooooo little commentary/analysis about the sports it is ridiculous. A lot of these sports the general public watch pretty much once every 4 years and it would help if they spent a lot more time educating rather than just filling the time between events with useless banter (which incidentally they suck at).

Sure it's on more channels and when they actually show an event it's not bad but please lets lose the fluff.

Oh and have you actually tried to follow an event on ctvolympics.com while it is actually happening? There are so many lags with the data updating it is almost useless.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
most athletes and coachs don\t want to interviews before their events.

I like the fact that they interview the American winners at Whisler as well.

What happened to hiring a ton of former athletes/coaches to provide the commentary and background? There has been some of this but not nearly enough.

Also what about actually celebrating the city of Vancouver? I haven't seen any pieces visiting landmarks or talking about the history of the area at all.