• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Olympics: CTV vs. CBC

xsre

TRIBE Member
Yeah, it is like eTalk (and MuchMusic with their HOT TUB ZOMG!) goes to the Olympics.

The excuses for the biathlon guy were from CTV. That's all I've been watching - it was the French guy. I would almost be OK with it if the announcers and analysts didn't hype the expectations like, "[Canadian Athlete] has been piling up World Cup podium appearances this season" and instead said, "[Canadian Athlete] is mediocre, may move up a few spots in the world rankings, but don't expect miracles" and then, if they do REALLY well, like a top 10 or get a medal, then it's time to be happy, instead of over-hyping and having to make excuses for them. Like I said, other people find a way to win, both in variable weather events and in no-variable indoor sports like speed-skating.

We just won a bronze in the 3000m ladies long-track speed skating. Winners find a way to win. That's what I'm saying.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
I love your reasoning:

"Get rid of it because they don't buy programming!"
"Get rid of it because they shouldn't buy programming!"

Your flip reminds me of how other stations and news outlets complain that the CBC's programming is boring and the public shouldn't be paying for it but then when the CBC does get something good (like the olympics) they cry over the ad revenue they take out of the market. These are the same lot that cried to the federal government for a bail out recently.

Numpties the lot of you.
i dont care about other stations, im not paying for them to put on horrid shows
cbc owned the olympics and hockey night in canada, the flag ships of sports which is the only thing the cbc was good at, yet lost the olympics and wouldnt pony up the loot(which advertising would have paid for since ads are at their most expensive during hockey night in canada)to keep what is the most recognizable tune in Canada

I dont know where i said we should bail out anyone, i just said it is time for cbc to call it a night

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Watching Brian Williams interview Alex Bilodeau and family was a shit show. Darren Dutchyshen, the wife beater, coming from out of the sidelines with champagne so he could get his ugly mug in on the glory was lame. I can't believe his producers let him get away with that.

billy

TRIBE Member
CTV's coverage has been embarrassing. The whole team they sent there (with the exception of the TSN hockey heads - Lansberg not included) feels like eTalk Daily goes to the Olympics.

this nails it. Rogers/CTV has turned into this mega network for the olympics. heck - last night i watched jennifer hedger with some eTalk daily girl. james duthie pointed out the muchmusic location in the background.

they are milking the shit out of this and i'm not 100% it's working for them. anyone watch the superbowl? damn sure if you did that you wanted to strangle CTV by the end of it.

yes, CBC has (had?) the better quality coverage. it came from experience. CTV though owns a pile of HD channels (sportsnet has 5 HD channels now) which CBC does not.

on a funny note - i laughed about how i didn't have to deal with brian williams slow style of commentary again. i know he's a "figure" but he drives me nuts sometimes. yup, forgot that he moved to TSN a while back. doh!

videotronic

TRIBE Member
highlight of the olympic coverage so far (and this will be tough to beat):

brian williams leading into commercial yesterday saying the standard "and all this coming up, right here on CBC....ummmm....errrr....CTV...*nervous laughter*, *people can be heard laughing off camera*

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
2 things I can pick out that bug me about the coverage I've watched so far.

1. The douche in the hipster frames and ugly sweater chatting around a fireplace about how athletes "hook up" during the games. (had to change the channel).

2. Brian Williams bringing up the Nazis during the truck ride to lighting the torch. He dropped "Twisted, biggotted, rasicst beliefs of the Nazi party" seemingly out of nowhere. (I know Nazi=Bad but there might be kids watching the torch ceremony Brian)

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member

jesus christ. I haven't seen this name in a while. How's your smokin' wife?

~

on the topic of stations, was discussing this with a couple friends last night. My impression of the CTV coverage is that it's very.... 'Canadian', meaning that it kind of reminds me of CityTV a la 1980's.

Personally, I like the CBC's coverage of these types of events. They seem more put together.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
the logistics here are simple. CBC=1 maybe, 2 channels
CTV+Rogers = 6-7 channels of coverage, plus both Mobile networks, several web portals. The two together create a media powerhouse designed to flog the Olympics at you any which way!

That being said, the announcers are kinda weak

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
highlight of the olympic coverage so far (and this will be tough to beat):

brian williams leading into commercial yesterday saying the standard "and all this coming up, right here on CBC....ummmm....errrr....CTV...*nervous laughter*, *people can be heard laughing off camera*

I saw that. It was awesome. It's like when I'm at work and to this day sometimes say "Little Caesars pizza can I.. uhh... I mean... Jeff speaking.."

-jM
A&D

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
CTV+Rogers = 6-7 channels of coverage, plus both Mobile networks, several web portals. The two together create a media powerhouse designed to flog the Olympics at you any which way!

And yet they delayed the moguls on TSN because of the Daytona 500...

Which was being broadcast on FOX at the same time.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Channel 396 for Rogers Customers.

It shows a 6 way split screen of all the Canadian channels showing olympics coverage and what is currently on them.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the NBC coverage and how much respect they've been giving to the Canadian athletes.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Someone was having too much fun with the slow motion camera, shooting mundane things like a coach chipping off ice from an athlete's boot.

The slow mo shot of that one guy drinking from a water bottle was kinda hot, thou.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
I have been pleasantly surprised by the NBC coverage and how much respect they've been giving to the Canadian athletes.

yea last night NBC was on a good 15 minute delay behind CTV. So i watched the last few men moguls runs, and NBC actually did a real good respectable job. Their announcers were a little more excited about everything, kinda X-games vibe almost, but better than the droning CTV people.

Maui

TRIBE Member
If anyone caught Nelly Furtado's performance on CTV last night, THAT is how she sounds, unlike the opening ceremonies where she was lip syncing along with everyone else.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I have to admit that while I do love some of the hosts on their normal shows ...like Jay Onrait is hilarious on TSN and Dan/Jessi are awesome on MTV, I find the hosting pretty terrible in that it is seems disjointed and out of place. It's like they forgot that there is a reason why hosts are on certain shows/formats of time slots.

The MTV kids just don't work in the conservative morning format and Onrait's sense of humour doesn't go over well that early and it isn't as good without a good foil like Dan O'Toole. And Brian Williams is and always has been the voice of the Olympics for me and at least they were smart enough to let him work alone.

And I feel that although it is spread over a number of channels, they are replaying so much of the same footage, interviews and mini shows that I feel I am missing out on stuff.

Then there are those stories with the physiologist that attempt to uncover the deeper physiology involved in the sports but really say nothing at all. The one about skiing spoke about crashing the whole time and the one about figure skating said nothing important and Elvis Stojko ended up saying better stuff in his interview (such as the fact that you don't do stretch moves immediately before jumps as your muscles aren't ready to pounce).

I see that CTV is trying to get some economies of scale from their coverage by re-using stuff but it is not coming off well to me.

It's like all the decisions are being made by people who have never covered sports before.

atomic

TRIBE Member
I have to admit that while I do love some of the hosts on their normal shows ...like Jay Onrait is hilarious on TSN and Dan/Jessi are awesome on MTV, I find the hosting pretty terrible in that it is seems disjointed and out of place. It's like they forgot that there is a reason why hosts are on certain shows/formats of time slots.

The MTV kids just don't work in the conservative morning format and Onrait's sense of humour doesn't go over well that early and it isn't as good without a good foil like Dan O'Toole. And Brian Williams is and always has been the voice of the Olympics for me and at least they were smart enough to let him work alone.

totally agree.

Jay and Dan have me in stitches every morning. They make my day. Jay does look a little out of place with the other hosts.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
It is all about the online streaming for me. Or just following along with the laptop up and the vent going on on TV combining the two has made it wonderful to follow along.

Also finding other countries online streams and seeing how the world is watching these events has been interesting.

I suggest everybody use ctvolympics.ca to go along with their Television viewing.
It will really help this afternoon with the snowboarding ;)

SJN

TRIBE Member
Someone was having too much fun with the slow motion camera, shooting mundane things like a coach chipping off ice from an athlete's boot.

The slow mo shot of that one guy drinking from a water bottle was kinda hot, thou.

It's a really European thing to show shots like this. If you ever watch European Golf tour events or the international feed of F1, you see tons of this stuff.

If anyone caught Nelly Furtado's performance on CTV last night, THAT is how she sounds, unlike the opening ceremonies where she was lip syncing along with everyone else.
The audio for Brian Adams started when he still had the mic at his waist.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
It's a really European thing to show shots like this. If you ever watch European Golf tour events or the international feed of F1, you see tons of this stuff.
It is also a product of needing to fill time between runs/liven up the broadcast. Take the men's moguls for instance, there is enough time to display the entire run again in slow-motion, pan the crowd numerous times, linger on an establishing shot all before those judges can even put a score up.

Ambient Olympics.