• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Olympics: CTV vs. CBC

dig this

TRIBE Member
CTV has made it actually awkward to watch. I know it won't have any effect, but I'll have to write a letter to the network if this keeps up.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Are you guys talking about the recaps? I thought CTV is the only one that had the broadcast rights to the events.

In any case, CTV's coverage in HD and 5.1 is free over the air to antenna so CTV is it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Krackajak

TRIBE Member
A huge part of CTV's Budget is to broadcast rights to pop. US programs. I just wonder if they are gonna take a kick in the balls and air Olympics events during prime time or are they gonna postpone the Olympics for reg programming. The funny thing too is that CTV doesn't have the infrastructure or resources to shoot everything nor the transmit lines to send it back East for broadcast... so they're paying a pant load for that shit too LOL

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
the moment cbc lost the rights to the olympics and the hockey night in canada theme song it lost any reason why we keep pumping hundreds of millions into it

little mosque on the prairie is the best they have??? money horribly spent on a station that has lost any reason for being around

Deus

TRIBE Member
Are you guys talking about the recaps? I thought CTV is the only one that had the broadcast rights to the events.

In any case, CTV's coverage in HD and 5.1 is free over the air to antenna so CTV is it.

I think they mean compared to previous CBC broadcasts.

I agree that CTV's coverage of past Olympics was much better that CTV's this year. Lisa Laflamme during this morning's coverage is just awkward.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I think they mean compared to previous CBC broadcasts.

I agree that CTV's coverage of past Olympics was much better that CTV's this year. Lisa Laflamme during this morning's coverage is just awkward.

This is the first Olympics where I'm making a point to pay attention. Mostly for the snowboarding. I have no complaints so far except for the CTV fossils who they feel the need to shoehorn into the broadcasts. Lloyd Robertson looks like he was kept in vinegar for two weeks prior to the gmes. Also Leah Miller's looks like Michael Jackson. What the fuck is wrong with that girl?

the moment cbc lost the rights to the olympics and the hockey night in canada theme song it lost any reason why we keep pumping hundreds of millions into it

little mosque on the prairie is the best they have??? money horribly spent on a station that has lost any reason for being around

The huh?

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
cbc doesnt have the rights to hockey night in canada theme song anymore, they lost it to tsn(how that is possible is beyond me, they found a way to overpay for whats his nuts on coaches corner who is the comic relief to don cherry)
and ctv is the official programmer for the olympics now, that is why brian willams is at ctv now

cbc has been shit for ages, they dont even have 22 minutes or just for laughs anymore so how can they be canada's broadcaster if they dont actually support the shows that are canadian and popular?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
So let me get this straight. Because they don't have a song or rights to two weeks of programming every 4 years, the CBC should be dismantled? lul;k.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
CBC 100% The panel this morning with the canada AM crew, they looked just plain awkward.

I think James Duthie isn't half bad. The TSN guys sort of save it. But it's nothing compared to CBC.

At least CBC got the world cup out of it.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
So let me get this straight. Because they don't have a song or rights to two weeks of programming every 4 years, the CBC should be dismantled? lul;k.
i guess you skipped the last sentence of my post before, but i guess it doesnt fit with your view, so its all good

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
yeah.... I must say that I'm on the side of Basketball Jones.
CBC right now, has two 'original' programs that may be worth watching: "Little Mosque", and "Being Erika" , but besides that, every time I switch to CBC it's to watch reruns of "Jeopardy".
Who's running that place? 'Competitive Programming?' non-existant. (unlike, say, the BBC in Britain).
I say can it. 2 'ok' tv programmes does not a publicly funded television make.

octo

TRIBE Member
so far CTV's Olympic coverage is not as good as what CBC has delivered in the past few Olympics. CBC has extensive experience in covering amateur sports, CTV not so much.

whether CBC is relevant or not is besides the point.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
One name tells you all you need to know about CTV's coverage: Rod Black. The guy is a tool, yet CTV thinks he's good.

CBC all the way.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
cbc doesnt have the rights to hockey night in canada theme song anymore, they lost it to tsn(how that is possible is beyond me, they found a way to overpay for whats his nuts on coaches corner who is the comic relief to don cherry)
and ctv is the official programmer for the olympics now, that is why brian willams is at ctv now?

so CBC would have been better off overpaying for shit?
CTV paid $150 million for the Vanc/London package, twice as much as what CBC paid for the previous 2-Games package. CBC wasn't remotely near that bid.
You would have been OK with CBC bidding 150 - an amount that guarantees they won't make money? Cause i can assure you the rest of Canada wouldn't be.
I won't even get into the theme song. You 'd be astonished how much TSN paid for it, and enraged if it was CBC that put up that amount.
slapdick.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
The CTV promotions are fantastic. Take the song "Believe" as an example. I can't think of a time I've ever been moved by a theme created by a TV network. And then there was the sequence before the opening ceremonies featuring the athletes... very well done.

I also love being able to stream off their Web site. They seem to have the polish, but the reporting could be better.