• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Olivia Chow article in the Globe today!

madnezz

TRIBE Member
I thought some of you ravers would like to know... it's quite good, and there's a big huge picture of her on the front page!! *L*

you can read the article HERE.

On another note, I think I'm going to join the NDP!!! *grin*

adios
Laura

zee

TRIBE Member
nice. i really like Olivia Chow. i find her to be very connected with the youth

she was at iDance and also talked about sexuality in videos on muchmusic once

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Actually at first I didn't trust her. But I have found her to be so consistantly liberated in her views that I have been forced to rethink the way that I judge people in politics.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
i like jack and i like olivia and for what they believe for the most part and how they go about it, and Olivia scored major brownie points with her iDance appearence...

but i couldn't vote for someone who vows to cut military spending... that's funny... we don't spend fucking anything on our military so where are we gonna cut....

they talk about getting people off the street, homes not bombs... Yet too many of our proud members serving in the canadian forces are going to food banks to get food, protecting our country and our ideals and the RIGHT for people to say what they say...and not only getting no respect... they get paid ass

*shrugs* i voulenteered for 4 years @ daily bread food bank and worked @ a few shelters.... nobody can tell me people CAN'T get help or CAN'T get food on the streets of toronto, that's a load of fucking crap, it's there, they just don't want it... can't help people who don't want to be helped

the system needs to be changed, not funded more, and despite what jack sez he can and i'm sure would do... he won't because he doesn't have the numbers in the house to do it..

and when my buddy who has 3 peacekeeping medals under his belt is struggling to feed his wife and daughter......

sorry jack, you can sit on it and kiss my vote goodbye...

but now that i've ranted *blushes* sorry!!

.... yeah Olivia's a very strong woman and good @ what she does

too bad Ms. Martin don't get involved in what paul does the way olivia does with jack

'G

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Wunderbar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Big Cheese
i like jack and i like olivia and for what they believe for the most part and how they go about it, and Olivia scored major brownie points with her iDance appearence...

but i couldn't vote for someone who vows to cut military spending... that's funny... we don't spend fucking anything on our military so where are we gonna cut....

they talk about getting people off the street, homes not bombs... Yet too many of our proud members serving in the canadian forces are going to food banks to get food, protecting our country and our ideals and the RIGHT for people to say what they say...and not only getting no respect... they get paid ass

*shrugs* i voulenteered for 4 years @ daily bread food bank and worked @ a few shelters.... nobody can tell me people CAN'T get help or CAN'T get food on the streets of toronto, that's a load of fucking crap, it's there, they just don't want it... can't help people who don't want to be helped

the system needs to be changed, not funded more, and despite what jack sez he can and i'm sure would do... he won't because he doesn't have the numbers in the house to do it..

and when my buddy who has 3 peacekeeping medals under his belt is struggling to feed his wife and daughter......

sorry jack, you can sit on it and kiss my vote goodbye...

but now that i've ranted *blushes* sorry!!

too bad Ms. Martin don't get involved in what paul does the way olivia does with jack

'G
great post.

ethnik

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by madnezz
I

adios
Laura

i`d make a smart ass comment as to why, but it`s just too easy ;)

mike <---- still out lookin for trouble

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr

why?

Laura

outdated policies IMO
lack of touch with youth
at least.. the liberals try.. but they have had a long time in power to figure that out.

Last edited:

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark

heh you are talking about a party with the heighest percentage of members under 30
he is talking about something he doesn't know anything about....

Chip post facts not opinions!!!! how are they out of touch with youth?
IMO no party cares about youth because youth don't vote.....

there is as much wrong with the NDP as there is any other party, I vote liberal myself, but I see nothing wrong with what the NDP suggest doing....they're just looking out for the little guy

Kyfe

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
People get older, finish school, start making some money. The leftie York students, and radical U of T students all start gravitating right.

AshG

... can't help people who don't want to be helped
oi.
i know of what you speak.

it can be very frustrating to pour your heart and soul into helping others only to see so many of those you are trying to help simply not care enough to help themselves.

I'm not saying that this is the prevalent case amongst those who are homeless or frequent food banks.

Its just very draining and very difficult to stay motivated to help others when you see your own efforts swept away by those who you help.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
last rant of the night tribe

right on, that is the exact reason i stopped giving my money to local charity or voulenteering my time with the food bank... The guv takes enuff of my money away through taxes, let that bit be my donation.

watching too many after school specials and reading too many left-wing articles in eye mag 'bout how the homeless situtation in the GTA going out of control, i went out of my way to give as much time as possible to the cause... Doing everything from going door to door, mall donation collection, working with agencies through TDB and interviewing people, sorting food...

Seeing the people that all that donated money goes to.... I Could care less nowadays. For the large majority, they'd rather keep their "freedom" then accept help and really begin to sort their lives out. The only cases i saw on a regular basis that used everything that was @ their disposal were single mothers or abused women.

I stopped caring and fucking gave up because there is SO MUCH CASH for these people, so many social assistance programs, free legal advice, free social programs, so much is there it's just not advertised and we'd tell them day in and out, jam it down their throats....

only excuse i heard was the ez cop-out.. the Tories this the tories that... they're killing the homeless (i'm a voting liberal btw) keeping shelters crowded, etc, etc... Are the tories stopping you from walking 8 or 9 blocks north to get food for free, are they holding you back from showing up @ a place for a workshop on organizing a resume so you can start looking for a job? Can't help those who don't want any.

i really admire the people that try and help these people for a living, because after all was said n' done on my side and i saw for myself what really goes down.... i said the hell with it

NDP do have some great ideas (environmental issues being one example), and their hearts are in the right place but they sure as hell arn't doing anything realistic anytime soon except singing pretty songs for those who want to hear them... And as we've already seen in the local scene...

both Olivia AND Jack can sing good songs.....

'G

(this is self-evidently enough, my opinion expressed through and because of my persoanl experiences. I'm sorry if i've directly offended anyone with my very jaded and narrow point of view)

Last edited:

starr

TRIBE Member

adios
Laura
I'm thinking about joining too!

I've been "jaded" far too long, and I really respect Olivia Chow.
She makes me want to be a better person...so maybe I'll just be one.

Go NDP :)

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
People get older, finish school, start making some money. The leftie York students, and radical U of T students all start gravitating right.
You sound as if it's a bad thing.

I attribute this to paying taxes. When you are a 'leftie York student' or a 'radical U of T student', you get a tax refund every year, which for me was ALL my income taxes. Not to mention subsidized education, student rates etc. Of course a radical see's injustice in the world and demands we do something about it; unfortunately, the radical does not have to pay for it! That's someone else's probem.

Then you get out of school and work, usually for pretty crummy money. You still aren't taxed all that much, but you looking out for the future and realize no one will help you succeed in life but yourself. Quite a sobering moment. Of course, politicians don't worry about taxes, what with some of their income being tax-free.

Of course, you can be like Chow and Layton and live in subsidized housing for some time while making a combined income of over $120K, only to move out and be investigated by the police. But I digress. And they were cleared.

Then after a couple of years, you start earning (and the key word is earning) some half decent money. And the government takes half away. This is when you start to get pissed off. Especially when the same problems you were so angry about still exist, and are probably worse.

It's not just the earning of better money which turns 'radical' students into evil right-mongers. It's the fact that you work harder and harder and create more and more and the government takes it away without any consideration. You see a guyn living under a bridge drinking cheap. Boo hoo. What about the father of 3 who works 12 hours a day to make a future for his family, barely seeing his kids?

Like it or not, the capitalist system is the best there is. Most of the time, it rewards hard work and punishes uselessness (there are always exceptions to the rules).

Last edited:

luvslife

TRIBE Member
[

'G [/B]
I'm sorry, but I take extreme offense to what you said here. I can't believe in one breath you say that Oliva is a strong woman, and in the next talk like she is only involved in politics because her husband is. DID YOU EVEN READ THE ARTICLE?????

She is an independant woman. Her involvement in politics is what brought the two together, not the other way around. Why is it that you assume a woman has to have the ideals of her husband? Joe Clark wife Maureen was a key member of the Liberal cabinet for years. Do you think she runs around helping Joe push his Conservative agenda? I really hope you didn't mean what your last statement implies.

TRIBE Member
Ugh.

Puke.

Barf.

People who complain about taxes are pussies. Has greed and selfishness so completely taken over your brain that you're unable to think of anything but your own material possesions?

Have you forgotten that even your precious hordes of cash and miscellaneous expensive crap was built on education (quality public schools, subsidised post secondary) and good health (let's all take moment to thank our NDP comrades for that)?

I can't believe that any of you have it so bad that you have to shit-talk the poor.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416

Have you forgotten that even your precious hordes of cash and miscellaneous expensive crap was built on education (quality public schools, subsidised post secondary) and good health (let's all take moment to thank our NDP comrades for that)?
I'm with you on this. I've just switched from the lefty University scene to the well-paying job. The amount of taxes that I pay initially shocked me, but now I'm personally more interested in making sure my tax dollars are well spent than trying to get that money back into my pocket.

That said, I don't have a family to support...

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
"I kept talking about the issues Jack and I worked on together," the Toronto city councillor said, expressing disdain for the soft, personal character of the discussion. "I was the only political one of the lot."

and perhaps i should make myself more clear since you took what i wrote out of context....

with the quote...to share in the same interests more so, then just stay in the shadows and let her husband take flack, as opposed to olivia standing for what she believes in, which is the reason her and jack make a great pair, because they "share" the same feelings on issues. Martin odds are, WILL be the next PM, so wouldn't it be nice if he had someone @ home and in the gallery to help him out? The way Olivia does with Jack for example, granted she does do her own thing for the most part... As also quoted in the article, that i read.

Don't turn this into a womens issue, because it's not nore did i intend it to be. Their shared views are as such.. as in she was interested in what her husband does and is doing, not just because of it....

It had something to do with her.. so i posted it because it had something to do with the topic. Jack was brought up in the article with regards to them sharing the same views. Yes... NDP... Policies..... My opinion comes full circle again

Strong woman, yes, intelligent person, yes, great roll model, yes... But her personal attributes are what made her great and what, obviously enough MAKE her a great person in politics and in social issues.

i ain't hating on her, i just stated that because of a "SHARED VIEW" they have (military spending) they won't be getting my vote, and my experiences with the homeless (Not poor mind you) has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth

'G

Last edited: