• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Older machines and OS's

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I need a little computer expertise here, what operating system would you reccomend for a celeron P3 500, 128mb ram, 6.4 gb, computer is only being used to play online poker.

So I've been asked similar questions to this before and I was wondering what other people suggest. Traditionally if a machine has less than 256 megs I shy away from XP and instead go with ME or 2000.

I've run into this more and more with laptops that people plan to use for surfing the net and I'm a little concerned about not having automatic updates. I can't suggest any of the linux distros simply because these are not machines I can personally watch over and admin.

Shug

TRIBE Member
OMG HE'S NOT WORTHY OF OWNING A COMPUTER IF HE CAN'T DO LINUX ON HIS P.O.S. BOX!!!1!!!

N00BZ SHOULDN'T OWN 'PUTERS!!!11!!!

(I'm a fan of 2000, esp. if he's only playing online games - XP will crawl on that machine, even with tweaking. Just make sure he has all the drivers for the bits and pieces on CD, as the driver libraries in 2000 are more limited...)

keztronic

TRIBE Member
ive got my p3-450 with 192 ram running xp pro no problem. i use it as a terminal to RDP/stream media from my real computer upstairs. using foobar and VLC it'll pretty much play anything without skips/choppiness. just can't have too much going on at once..

Shug

TRIBE Member
^^^
Huge diff between Celeron and P3 of the same speed... and you're past the magical 128MB hurdle for XP...

If you have the time, Ditto, do both OSes, onr after the other, and do practical testing... and then get back to this thread with the results.

zoo

TRIBE Member
in practice i have not seen any advantage 2000 has over xp, nor the contrary

... and i would stay far far away from ME

use 98 if XP or 2000 won't install, otherwise don't use it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
oh and a celeron at 500mhz will run xp/2000 fine

i've had 2000/xp running on a celeron at 300mhz with no significant problems

zoo

TRIBE Member
shug, maybe your system just sucked? :p

the slowest system i've ever put xp on (and had it running successfully for internet browsing and word processing) was a p2 generation celeron 300mhz, 64megs of ram, 4mb ati video card, lx motherboard, 10/100 ethernet, no other frills

it's not anecdotal evidence at this point, this is proof that it CAN be done :p your anecdotal evidence just proves how much you suck at computers! :p

Shug

TRIBE Member
Why you gotta be hatin'? We're all friends here. Stop propogating the stereotype of the asshole geek with a superiority complex.

I installed 2000 on an abacus, and XP made it explode. See? My PROOF beats yours, and THEREFORE OMG I COULD PWN YOU AT CS!!!1!

I'd strip down one of my older boxes to benchmark, but then again... who gives a shit? He asked our opinions, and I gave mine. Put your cock away, no one wants to see it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lobo

TRIBE Member
I've got XP running on a Celeron 300a overclocked to 450 with 256M of ram and it runs perfectly fine for doing general stuff like browsing, email and MS Office.

Lobo

P.S. That's my dad's machine btw. :)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
lobo said:
I've got XP running on a Celeron 300a overclocked to 450 with 256M of ram and it runs perfectly fine for doing general stuff like browsing, email and MS Office.

Lobo

P.S. That's my dad's machine btw. :)

my lord overclocked Celeron 300's are still chugging away out there

jason klaps

TRIBE Member
More anecdotal evidence for ya:

I have a P3 Celeron 450 and over its lifespan I've installed XP sp1, 2000 sp4, and 98 sr2 and I must say all three worked okay, but I preferred the responsiveness of the 98 so that's how it has stayed for the last few years.

Especially surfing web pages, I notice a big difference in page loading time.

Shug

TRIBE Member
It's not the CPU I'm mainly talking about, it's the RAM. The initial machine listed in this thread has 128MB... and it's not stated as to whether it's shared w/ video.

With 128MB, I would take 2000 over XP, because it has less overhead.

I'm not saying it won't install WinXP, I'm saying it will be more annoying than 2000 because it'll be slow due to excessive paging.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders