• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Old school breaks and Nu school breaks

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I was having this conversation with a lot of people this weekend and I was asking how you could tell the different between the two (Old school-Nu school breaks), so what is the different? What I pretty much got from the conversations is that there's a fine line between the two, which helps me a little, but I still don't understand the different between old school breaks and Nu school breaks?

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
I'm not what you would consider a breaks expert and I don't hear too much talk of new school and old school to classify tracks anymore. But, typically I would say that what is described as old school would take more infulences from big beat, while nu school would incorporate a wider array of electronic influences such as DnB and techno sounds.

Classifying music is very difficult though and it's easy to find exceptions to any genre classification. I hope my perspective helped a bit, but I certainly do not consider it a spot on definition.

matt

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by !Myagi!
right now we seem to have graduated to a "post" nu skool...
i don't know that i'd say we've passed through the nu skool era already.. just like the old skool sound did for many years, nu skool is just continuously evolving.

while we've turned nu skool breaks into a sub-genre, technically, the term 'old school' refers to things which utilize more traditional devices, while 'nu skool' refers to anything that's new and innovative.. (hence the ultra-slick 'k', double 'o') so, from that angle, nu skool breaks is not even really a genre. it's been unjustly genrefied. :D

king of Funk

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by docta seuss
i don't know that i'd say we've passed through the nu skool era already.. just like the old skool sound did for many years, nu skool is just continuously evolving.

while we've turned nu skool breaks into a sub-genre, technically, the term 'old school' refers to things which utilize more traditional devices, while 'nu skool' refers to anything that's new and innovative.. (hence the ultra-slick 'k', double 'o') so, from that angle, nu skool breaks is not even really a genre. it's been unjustly genrefied. :D
That just about hits the nail on the head.

I would expand on that and say: With Nu Skool a lot of the sounds and textures are not really sample based, giving it a much more technical appearance as opposed to the organic nature of Old School. Nu Skool tracks seem to be constructed differently as well, with less emphasis on the "groove" and more on "orchestration".

The question for me has always been, where's the soul in Nu skool?

Sometimes it leaves me a little cold...

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by king of Funk

I think vocals tend to add an element of soul to the sound, that and i think its up to the DJ to balance things out, like i stated in another thread breaks as a souund is more like a spectrum each track has its own "element" its up to the DJ to orchistrate it in way that is balanced. Angus's latest demo "The Right Stuff" is an excelent example of this. Then again some people like myself luv it ruff dirty and raw:D

docta seuss

TRIBE Member

at first, years ago when this nu skool thing started, i was maybe a little disappointed with the direction i thought breaks were heading, but about 3 years ago, ever since BLIM's remix of T> power's running blew my fucking mind with it's dirty, dark funk, i've been delighted by the direction things are going.
lately there have been tons' o' funky nu skool tracks being churned out. the soul is there if you search hard enough, but i know what you're saying, and i'd have to agree that it is a little harder to find it these days.

Originally posted by Hispeeddub
i think its up to the DJ to balance things out
exactly. in fact, i think one of the things that makes nu skool so great is it's versatility, and it's blending of dark and funky, which go very nicely with one another; there's nothing better than a funky track dropping right smack in the middle of a chilled out, dark track.. and you're right, add some trippy vocals, and you've got all the soul anyone could ask for.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

king of Funk

TRIBE Member
I guess it's all about expectations.

If you were to offer me a chance at a first listen to a Bootleg or a Nu Skool track by the same producer. i would choose the Bootleg.

I would rather take the chance to feel disappointed by a cheesy bootleg than be unmoved by a clinical and emontionless Nu Skool effort.

Highspeeddub

I think vocals tend to add an element of soul to the sound
If there are vocals, I'm not sure we can call it Nu Skool...which I guess takes us full circle to Dr Suess's comment that Nu skool isn't a genre pre se but more of an approach.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
:confused:
yeah, i was confused by that one too, as some of the best nu skool tracks ever produced have vocals..

but who knows, maybe another useless sub-genre was created for nu skool with vocals.

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
I think King of Funk needs to go to breaks skool and have a listen to some of the material he proably dismissed as "cold and lifeless" without giving a chance (much like allot of other peeps)

king of Funk

TRIBE Member
I think King of Funk needs to go to breaks skool and have a listen to some of the material he proably dismissed as "cold and lifeless" without giving a chance (much like allot of other peeps)

This started out a a useful exchange of ideas. Too bad.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

TheDirtBikeKid

TRIBE Member
New school is just Drum and bass. It pushed the envelope of production as to create/evolve the sound of music.
I never liked it when it first came out( I still don't) but what it lead to I totally enjoy(Beefier funky/soulfull music)!!!
Dave

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
This started out a a useful exchange of ideas. Too bad.
Aw come on dude don’t take me seriously :p I didn’t mean to sound like a dick (thinks maybe his work is wearing off on him too much) My point was that it seems allot of people here dismissed an entire genre based on a few of the elements they did not like, while not recognizing the sounds potential or looking for other elements in production (ie funk/soul/soft vocals) that were being explored as well. I agree with your statement above that Nu Skool is more of a production technique vs a set in stone genre, a perfect example of breaks with funk and soul as well as the nu production techniques would be the Plumps. You cant tell me “Funk Hits the Fan” is not one soulful funky ass track. Im sure our DJ friends here could offer many other suggestions of tracks/labels/producers to check that have a soulful element to them along with a that hype nu type production. I guess is doesnt really matter now though casue it looks like breaks are going to do real well here in the near future.
Anyhow I’m sorry if I came across as negative. BTW Ive seen you at a few nights out and I love the way you let loose, hype the crowd and give the DJ’s props, something I think TO needs more of.

Cheers

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TheDirtBikeKid
New school is just Drum and bass.
ouch. a bit of a harsh generalization..

this is why nu skool has gotten a bad rap. you're over genre-fying. nu skool is most definitely NOT just drum and bass. there's funky nu skool, dark nu skool, chilled out nu skool, tripped out nu skool, housey nu skool, progressive nu skool, electro-fied nu skool, soulful nu skool, and pretty much any other adjectives used to describe other varieties of breaks.

people tend to go to a record store, label anything dark and monotonous as 'nu skool', while anything funky belongs in another category for them. the fact is, half of the funky choons you cats are playing are nu skool.

just my views..

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

TheDirtBikeKid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by docta seuss

""this is why nu skool has gotten a bad rap. you're over genre-fying. nu skool is most definitely NOT just drum and bass. there's funky nu skool, dark nu skool, chilled out nu skool, tripped out nu skool, housey nu skool, progressive nu skool, electro-fied nu skool, soulful nu skool, and pretty much any other adjectives used to describe other varieties of breaks. ""

When Nu skool came out( i.e. Production level being pushed) it was just drums and bass !! Producers were trying to beef up their sounds. I could'nt stand it but, I did learn that for things to get brighter, first, it has to get dark.....real dark. The sub nuschool genres you have listed above, I would remove the nu skool infront of them because they are just funky or dark or chilled but better quality sound.
Nu skool is dead. Now all we have is with better produced music!!IMO
Dave
P.S. hope that clears things up slightly

Last edited:

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
i hear what you're saying man, and as i've said, i was at first unhappy with the nu skool sound as well. it was at the time characterized by snippy/skippy beats with no flow, endlessly brooding, dark basslines, annoying synths, and the always hard, cheesy kicks, programmed in at the most awkward possible times.

our difference of opinion however, lies in the question of whether or not beats created today can still be considered nu skool, or if nu skool has followed the likes of booty house to the back of record collections everywhere, with todays beats just being a lucky offshoot of it.

it all comes down to genres and sub-genres, the borders between which are not set in stone, and are open to individual interpretation.

i think that nu skool is still alive and kickin', and i know i'm not the only one who would argue that point, but to each their own.:)

evil homer

TRIBE Member
I would imagine that with breaks - just as with jungle.DnB - the line between the old and and new can be drawn around the point where sampling takes back seat to other production elements. I would imagine that this took place across the board as production software became more widley available and hardware more affordable. I like this definition because it allows for tunes to come out tomorrow and be called old school while talking about nu school sounds from ten years ago.