• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Old Records

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I have a bunch of old records, no namers, not sure if they would even fetch 10 bucks at the record store. Do record stores buy random records? Do I have to lug them there? Or should I record the names and see if they are interested?

Stop Bill C-10

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
What do you mean by 'no-namers'? Are these just DJ LP singles? Having found and sold vinyl, I can tell you what these places like are classic 70s/ 80s stuff - you'd fetch a good price for classic Clash, New Order, Joy Division, Fleetwood Mac (especially their rarest early stuff), quality electronica, quality funk and jazz albums. What's worth nothing is the music/artists that were shit then and are still shit now.
You could record the names and ask in advance, although you'd still have to lug them to some second hand record store, as they will check for quality and condition. Speaking of which, before you sell, you should clean/recondition them the best you can, including the album covers.
You'd likely get 3$-5$ per album (they want), unless it's a rarity, and if the record store buyer is honest, he'll give you, like, 10$ or more for it.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I just sold a whack at Discovery on Queen East. Polymorph is spot on. Make sure they look as clean as possible. I ended up spending most of the cash on more vinyl.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the heads up..... I only wish they were classics. Its more old 60' & 70's rock, classical, pop music. Most of it is not good music. But I have about 100 records of it. I just want to get it out of the house. What would be great is if I gave them 100 records and they let me have one record back. Done deal.
Im in the west end, so Ill have to call around and see if any record store is up for a trade.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Yeah, most places don't take classical music (unless they specialize in that and have an ongoing clientele for it). Stuff like Philip Glass, Gorecki, and Steve Reich is a done-deal, however. 60s - 70s rock and pop, on the other hand.... how much cheesy crap from those decades could you possibly have? You must have some decent stuff in there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders