• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Old 'raver' here...

EzznB

Hey everyone. This is my first post here (or, at least in a LONG time, I don't think I posted on this board in particular very often under the pseudonym ScottE (yeah...the 'good ol' days' lol)).

Anyways, let's cut to the chase. I used to party. I used to party a lot, particularly in 99-00-01-02. Almost every weekend, basically. Seen every venue back then, the good, the bad, the ugly, the very bad and ugly, the politics of it all, etc etc. I've collected some of the best memories of my life in that scene, but as everyone knows, as you get older, things change. Anyways, I have a tendency to ramble on and go on tirades so let's not do that, let's get to the point -

I haven't been to a party in ages, until Halloween when I went to the Promise party in a big cavernous warehouse on Commissioners and Cherry sts.. Man, that was fun. I loved the atmosphere of that place. I'm one of those people who hate the atmosphere in club-type venues unless it was something like the Big-Bop, Fun House that was across the street, Opera house wasn't bad, etc. Nice, new and shiny stuff doesn't appeal to me, it seems too 'staged'. Anyways, at that party I totally got my groove on, and danced my ass off, and man I absolutely let myself go and it was great. I want more, but it seems almost impossible to find what I'm looking for. I love the hard, dark stuff. Acid techno(!!!!), hardcore and hard 'dance' as they call it these days such as Chris Liberator, Tassid, DAVE the drummer, Dominik... Oh, and how could I forget, I love dark DnB, and to the surprise of many, the oldschool ragga jungle tunes.

I know that I said that venues are important, but the most important thing to me is the music, and if it's hard, and extra bonus for being dark, then there's a high chance I'll like it.

All in all, I'm just a single dude that doesn't have any friends that are really into this sort of thing or at least anymore but I have absolutely no problem going by myself if none of them want to go to that sort of thing (which is understandable when you've got a family and such) that just wants to find an awesome party where I can just dance all night, bury the stress of the world and go balls to the walls without having your ride bug you at 3 am saying they're ready to go home.

Anyways, sorry for the rambles, I hope to become engaged in some topics of interest and get to know this place!

Cheers,

Scott

Stop Bill C-10

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you my friend!

Quick question; is Klubmasta Will (not sure if I spelt that correctly) still kicking around? I remember him being a pretty big deal around here lol.

He is here often. Do a board search for his posts.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
It's the Klubmasta Willenium

willenium.gif

octo

TRIBE Member
There's a party tonight in a loft/studio above where Metropolis was on Spadina/Queen. Kevin Saunderson headlining. with FJAAK doing a live PA.
They had Derrick May in a few weeks ago and it was amazing. older crowd, great old school warehouse vibe.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Rumpshakers (Stranjah & crew) are bringing Loefah in from the UK tonight and they're playing at a warehouse venue with 40hz soundsystem, so the bass will be absolutely bonkers.

500 Keele St., Lot 101, Toronto, ON M6N 3C9, Canada. 10pm - 4am, $25 or something.

EzznB

Right on, thanks for the suggestions! I REALLY wish I didn't volunteer to work tomorrow, otherwise I'd totally hit up one of those jams, most likely the one on Keele because that looks awesome; I really enjoy the big spaces. I'm pretty sure I've been to the space above Metropolis was, but I remember it being a little room that fits around 40-50 people max? I wish more techno DJ's did lives, it creates a totally unique set that's customised to the crowd...nothing beats a good ol' 303.

I need to get up to date on who's who behind the tables, because I have no clue these days which makes it hard for me to figure out what I would enjoy while browsing various listings. To me, the event flyers these days look like regular club flyers and don't appeal to me. My, how things have changed.

Alex, I've met you before. If my memory serves me correctly, it was at a party at Jet nightclub (on Adalaide in the basement I think?).

JamesM

TRIBE Member
That's cool dude. The ravers from 99-00-01-02 are definitely in the same time period my friends, and myself were involved with.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Another cool thing to check out is the Box of Kittens Sunday Social. They happen about once a month in the winter months and are in a unique space at Loft 404. It's mostly house / techno stuff and the system isn't too loud, but it's always a great vibe and people are extremely friendly. Limited to 200 people based on the space.

Sunday Afternoon Social

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Right on, thanks for the suggestions! I REALLY wish I didn't volunteer to work tomorrow, otherwise I'd totally hit up one of those jams, most likely the one on Keele because that looks awesome; I really enjoy the big spaces. I'm pretty sure I've been to the space above Metropolis was, but I remember it being a little room that fits around 40-50 people max? I wish more techno DJ's did lives, it creates
There's a party tonight in a loft/studio above where Metropolis was on Spadina/Queen. Kevin Saunderson headlining. with FJAAK doing a live PA.
They had Derrick May in a few weeks ago and it was amazing. older crowd, great old school warehouse vibe.

We just tried to get in there. $80 for the two of us, and that's ridiculous we couldn't haggle them down to $50 with the lady. And it looked dead. Not interested, thanks.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

We just tried to get in there. $80 for the two of us, and that's ridiculous we couldn't haggle them down to $50 with the lady. And it looked dead. Not interested, thanks.

Holy fuck.

octo

TRIBE Member
advance tix where $35. which is less than the $45 advance price for the derrick may party. which was amazing and i didn't not regret paying $45+$10 service fee for.

showing up at midnight is probably just when people started showing up. i didn't go last night, but i checked out a video and it looks like the turnout was similar to Derrick May. which was perfect, because it wasn't too crowded.

the venue is much bigger than when it was used back in the metropolis day. that place felt more like a little lounge. maybe they knocked down some walls? maybe i just can't remember properly.

$40 seems like a lot but considering the relatively small size of the venue and quality sound and lighting. i think it's fair. last time i saw Saunderson at CODA it was $25 in advance. so $10 more isn't that bad.

how much do you think it costs to put on a production like that in a venue that doesn't have any club infrastructure?

octo

TRIBE Member
i've hit a couple of other warehouse parties recently and sometimes they can be pretty sad in terms of production value. not that i'm complaining. it's younger kids doing their part to contribute to the scene, but it makes you appreciate a well put together party that much more.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Yeah, it was probably a pretty bang up party in the end. Just didn't work out. $80 was too much.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
i've hit a couple of other warehouse parties recently and sometimes they can be pretty sad in terms of production value. not that i'm complaining. it's younger kids doing their part to contribute to the scene, but it makes you appreciate a well put together party that much more.

DJ Garth was here during TIFF. The night before Harvey. Vinyl set. Queen St. pub. Eight of us there. The promoter was a nice young fella with a good outlook and - apparently- not much promotional experience. Felt bad for him. ...but I sure as f$&k felt blessed to have some quality time with Garth and his records. Proper stuff. I can't remember the last time someone brought him in. Small rig, small place, no crowd. Amazing, if you knew about it. We're still lucky in these parts!

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Quick question; is Klubmasta Will (not sure if I spelt that correctly) still kicking around? I remember him being a pretty big deal around here lol.

Dude, welcome back! What was your user name before?

I still visit this site pretty regularly, and I still go to electronic music events. Not nearly as often as I used to, as I have two young kids (2.5 year old daughter and 8 month old son), but I manage to hit an event every month or two. I still enjoy Destiny/Projek events, and will attend the odd Ink/Embrace event. I really enjoyed the Dirty Decibels Halloween party, so I will be looking for their next warehouse jam.

We could use more active (as opposed to retired) partiers on this board, so welcome.