• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

oink, irc, and lamewads.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i'm sure most of you know what oink is, for those that don't, it's a membership based torrent community dealing primarily in high quality mp3s.

Well, i just went into the IRC chatroom to ask for help regarding a low bitrate (but extremely advance and rare) release that i wanted to upload. Now oink has two main rules .. no uploads below 192kbps, and no web/radio/upcoded rips ......... my release fails all of these rules. BUT, it still sounds good (even at 128kbps), and the actual release isn't coming out for awhile. and don't worry, i'm not leaking anything, as the band has given all this away as promo anyway.

back to the point of the story ...

The people in this help channel act like the BOFH. i'm not new to irc, i've been around. when i try to explain to them my situation (that i have a new new release that nobody else has, but it fails to meet the bitrate requirements) i'm expecting to get the usual RTFM responses, and the usual "stfu noob" responses, but i also hope to get someone that might listen to what i'm saying, or perhaps a mod that will say "don't worry, we do make exceptions for crazy new awesome releases like the one you have"

and yeah, you see every type of response, but no mods. one user (woman) in particular must be having a pretty shitty day / life, because she starts going buckwild on me, claiming i need to rtfm and all that, which of course i've done. i'm responding like any 'irc regular' would, but the turf war is obviously a battle this woman wants to dominate, and eventually she starts telling me she wants my account banned, and that i'm being disrespectful, and whatever else her imagination can make up.

i'm generally not disrespectful in im chat, msg boards, or irc. it's kind of dumb to take shit out on people on the net, you know? but for whatever reason, this woman is power tripping about whatever friends she has linking her to moderators on oink, and she's basically threatening to have my account banned unless i leave the channel.

others in the channel who were helping me earlier gave me the advice "maybe you should leave before something bad happens" and so on. as if they are banning people's oink accounts on a regular basis based on the time of day it is. give me a break.

now ~8 years ago when i was an irc addict, we had ways of resolving conflict: logging into scandinavian shells and DOS'ing the dude that you dislike. but you only bring that out to people that are really pissing you off, trying to break up your group, take over your chan, etc. anything else you could usually argue over for awhile and end off with a good /me circle jerk of homophobic insults / propositions, and it was always good times. but these 'new' irc-ers don't understand the old ways. now they are intolerant, total lamewads.

"leave before something bad happens to you" ??

c'mon. it's irc. i'm asking for oink advice in a channel dedicated to giving oink advice. if i wanted to be 'disrespectful' i could've done alot worse than askig "but what if the release i'm sitting on won't be out for months, and it's going to be huge?" after they had already told me "no"

there's no real point to this thread, other than the fact that i'm reminded of why i quit irc in the first place.

jw

TRIBE Member
oink

I spent a few minutes on their irc network a while back, looking for an invite..

put up with the egomaniacs, got what i needed and left..

I put up with their shit because no other torrent site tops what they have to offer.

i'd do pretty much anything for this stuff :>

Underground Resistance - Complete Label Discography 1990-2005 (2.6 gigs)
(WARP CD001 - 020) - Warp Records Discography (2.2 gigs)
(WARP CD021 - 040) - Warp Records Discography (3.1 gigs)
(WARP WAP1-WAP50) WARP singles Discography (1.9 gigs)
Spectral Sound Complete Label Discography (2.0 gigs)
Metroplex Records Label Discography (1.1 gig)

..the list goes on...

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Re: oink

Originally posted by jw
i'd do pretty much anything for this stuff :>

Underground Resistance - Complete Label Discography 1990-2005 (2.6 gigs)
(WARP CD001 - 020) - Warp Records Discography (2.2 gigs)
(WARP CD021 - 040) - Warp Records Discography (3.1 gigs)
(WARP WAP1-WAP50) WARP singles Discography (1.9 gigs)
Spectral Sound Complete Label Discography (2.0 gigs)
Metroplex Records Label Discography (1.1 gig)

..the list goes on...
Yeah .. would ya go out and buy it?

lol@zoo

jw

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: oink

Originally posted by oddmyth
Yeah .. would ya go out and buy it?
yep :> older WARP and UR always.... i believe i purchased WAP 18 off of you ~2 weeks ago (via baseline)..

jW

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
ive been a member of OINK for ages and have a hell of a ratio on there, mainly because of all the EBM ive uploaded.

but the irc room is absolutely fucking horrible and full of morons and kids.

i personally stay away from it like the fucking plague.

as far as ratio/private sites go, oink is one of the better ones ive been a member of.

and yea, regardless of how rare/killer/awesome something is. it will get nuked if it isnt a min of 192, and transcodes are worse, so dont bother doin that either.

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
I havne't tried in a while, but does anyone have an invite they can spare? I used to have to have an account when it was open to the public, but didn't use it enough and when they went private, mine got cancelled.

I promise to use it more and have an awesome ratio. On other sites that keep track my ratio is generally 5-1 or so. Please and thank you. :)

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
i dont have any invites left

i had a bunch, but when i gave them away all the assholes pretty much wasted them and dont use the site.

so when i do get some more, im going to be very picky on whome i hand them out to.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: oink

Originally posted by jw
yep :> older WARP and UR always.... i believe i purchased WAP 18 off of you ~2 weeks ago (via baseline)..

jW
I feel the same. Thanks by the way.

jw

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KodiaK

i had a bunch, but when i gave them away all the assholes pretty much wasted them and dont use the site.

so when i do get some more, im going to be very picky on whome i hand them out to.
same.. of the ones I gave away , 3 of the accounts are now suspended due to excessive leeching. The 4th invite was set aside for myself, incase I happen to loose my other account..

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
lol as soon as i say i dont have any invites, i re logged back into oink, uploaded an EBM torrent, and BAM, i have 1 invite.

id rather give it to a triber than some other douche that isnt going to do anything with it.

so um, we should hold some sort of contest for the invite.... except i have no idea what should be involved in said contest... hmm...

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member

same here

every single one I gave away was kicked off in like, three weeks.

great, thanks guys...I have one of the best music collections going thanks to that site...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
looks like you cant unless you know the user ID#

or you can just click their name on the torrents screen in a section, will bring up a list and stats on the user

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
lol as soon as i say i dont have any invites, i re logged back into oink, uploaded an EBM torrent, and BAM, i have 1 invite.

id rather give it to a triber than some other douche that isnt going to do anything with it.

so um, we should hold some sort of contest for the invite.... except i have no idea what should be involved in said contest... hmm...
The one that can ask the most nicely? :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mistah chin

TRIBE Member

I'd trade for it... ever heard of torrentleech?:)

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
from oink.

We're now automatically handing out invites to Power User+ twice a month. If you are not Power User+ when the script runs, you will not receive any. Many of you should have received one today.
There is no reason to hoard your invites, you won't receive more than a certain amount anyway, so if you have friends or family who would like to use the site, send one their way!
With this new addition though, we are closing the #invites channel on our IRC server.

two a month is hype.

:D

zoo

TRIBE Member
if anyone wants to spare an invite for a friend of mine, pm me

i swear he'll use it for good, not evil :)

zoo

TRIBE Member
Welcome back, zoo [logout]
Ratio: 0.693 Uploaded: 11.01 GB Downloaded: 15.88 GB

:/

i'm getting there, to the elusive "1" ratio, but i too often pick unpopular stuff that has poor ratio returns

and i haven't got much to upload ..