• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

oh my freaking fuck - techno @ the drake[underground]

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
predrank right good before the show, down at me boys place on the queens quay, left around 11 to go to the drake, got there , the line up that was for upstairs we found ourselves waiting out in the freaking cold, untill i saw Thom and Dorianne in front of me and my girl , and they are going downstairs.

so we bust out of the line, get downstairs mull about, coat check stuff, get a drink[ not really necessaryas i was alreay quite good ] and proceed to go down to the dance floor and talk to peeps.

the first person i saw was arthur, the hugest fuckign grin on his face.

and all he says to me.

' tonight its all analog, no computer '

i fucking almost shit right there,

NOW THATS A FUCKING LIVE PA

curt played a decent set, it got really grooving from about about 12:15 - 1

and i was just starting to really dig, and then arthur sneaks up there and begins his masterful orchestra of the plethora of gadgetry.... fuck arthur between NYE and last night, dear lord, you are still in my books one of the finest producers/artists i have ever heard.

i danced my fucking ass off , 3 noteworthy times in the set.

20 min after 1 ,
10 mins to 2,
and 10 mins after 2

my gf was giving me funny looks when i was looking at my watch and losing my shit !

i dont know what he was playing , but jesus, goddamn,

please tell me it was recorded !!!

amazing night, split kinda early due to massive boooze consumption catching up with us.

julia, thom, dorianne, curt, stewart, arthur,verg, jonathon[ dood dancing more crazy than me at the front ]and anyone else i saw and cant remember last night.

i <3 techno

[jai]

Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

casual

TRIBE Promoter
^^^^^

Thanks for coming out on such a shitty February night. Arthur was off the hook!! playing an hour and a half live PA. As far as I know it was recorded on DAT - look forward to snagging a copy.

Eric opened with the some really nice atmospheric bizness deffinitely setting the mood slowly moving into some deeper driving beats - the perfect transition to Curt. Curt played his patented blend of synth driven techno, an excellent complement to Arthur's style.

It was nice to see all the Usual Suspects out - Matt, PAL, LT, High voice Miles, SD, Osman, Adam, Julia, Jen and everyone else I missed.

BTW - Next month don't wait in the cold - the line up is only for upstairs!!

peace

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
What a blast. Success again. After struggling through leaving home twice, Kat and I managed to find the 401 and head up to Toronto once again. Eric played a wicked set. It has been so long since I've heard him play but once again he showed his trickery and skills behind the decks weaving through the deep techno and building it up nicely. Curt followed suit with some really nice tracks, very versatile.

Arthur's live PA was second to none. It was awesome. It made last weekend look and feel like a short story. I was completely blown away with the sounds he was generating. Deep, hard techno with brain-fuck rhythms intertwined throughout. I felt retarded at some points in his set where the patterns were just trippy and well executed. His PA was 10 times better than the Speedy one last week. None of the repetitive builds just in your face hard and deep. He looked so focused up there even when he was getting the female dancing show! I hope that recording gets circulated because that was easily one of the best Pa's in a long time.

Great to meet 'miller' last night. It was the goggles that threw you off:D
So much fun was had last night. We were fortunate that the weather cleared up for the drive. Such good company last night. Jokes and laughing all night!

Nice to meet db and his lovely lady and all the other folks that make the trip to TO so much fun. Thanks Tempo for another great memory.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
Arthur on gear..... with no laptop!.... SWEET!

good dj's good nite.... my only complaint and it's a minor one. (it was alittle bright) but it's the drake so i understand... but techno is best enjoyed in the dark. good show all around. :) Lots of ppl.....

EDIT: lots of girls too... who knew girls liked techno?

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Verg and I got there early and I was really enjoying Eric's set. Talked to Mr. Tekkid and the usual suspects. Always great to run in to everyone. Unfortenetly I had to take off early and I really wanted to catch Arthur and especialy Curt's set. I heard good things all around. The sad thing is many of the so called techno people who go on about supporting the scene where not there. I got to say I find this to be rather sad when there is so much great talent and at such a reasonable price yet these same fools will go to some washed out cheese fest and spend four times the money and then complain how this city has no talent and parties suck. Either way I still look forward to more Tempo events and as always they get my support.

Good job guys!

JuJuHound

TRIBE Member
Arrived just after midnite, and started to enjoy the venue and beats once again at this Tempo event. Good job guys, do keep it up. Although I did not enjoy the beats as much I did at Huckaby's gig, it was a good nite with friends.
I guess I was expecting a bit more synths and more of a groove.

The dude in the front was just loosing it....dancin that is, too bad he had no rhythm.

Can't wait for the next one....

door man, staff, really nice and polite.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Humanjava said:
I got to say I find this to be rather sad when there is so much great talent and at such a reasonable price yet these same fools will go to some washed out cheese fest and spend four times the money and then complain how this city has no talent and parties suck.

oh yeah, like who?

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
I got there kinda late as I was recovering from the night before @ Misstress Barbara (that's another story all together).

I like the venue, closer to me in the west end.

The music sounded quite good, but I didn't dance much or pay enough attention to it to really write a good review. I spent most of my time hanging out with friends and focusing on getting super drunk. That was accomplished allright.

The $5 cover was great - way to keep it fair. That being said, the price of drinks was somewhat out of control, but hey...it's the Drake...I should have known that.

Two great nights of techno this weekend :D I love this city some times (well, most of the time).

ktown

TRIBE Member
wish i could have seen the all analog live pa !

but we DID successfully raise just over $2000 that night for the blind children of Thailand, so the night wasn't a complete waste :p

next time tempo !

any video of arthur's pa ? i LOVE analog !!!

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
i didnt pick up any DV tapes so I missed out. But I do have some OTHER footage from the release party in Detroit that I'm over due to encode. As always Arthur played from the heart...... which is good to see and hear.

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
Good times again at the Drake for Tempo!

I thought it was a pretty decent turnout for a wintery February night. The tunage definitely delivered, as expected. Lots of friendly smiling folks out and about. I even met someone fresh off the boat from Scotland.

Looking forward to the next Tempo in march.

ps/ i think praktik was there… dancing at the front ;)

pss/ i suspect Skipper didn't make it because she got impaled by Barbara the night before ;p

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
thanks to all who came out on a cold winter's night to support another installation of tempo,you guys really make it all worth while.

we are all so very happy that these nights have found their legs so quickly considering the techno scene in toronto is often a 'hit or miss' affair.

so many people having a good time,eric lork fucking layed it down nicely as per usual,expect to see alot more of him at our events he is a top-notch dj and fucking stellar human being.

arthur oskan stepped up and delivered exactly what i expected-a fucking killer p.a. that is rivaled by no one in this country we call CANADA!this boy is hot,his set was tight and filled with uncompromising analog goodness.that is what it is about people,this boy is gonna storm the world!

so many happy faces enjoying themselves especially lionel and katherine who are two of the most staunch supporters of techno in this city,for fucks sake they trek their asses all the way from belleville for every techno event that happens in this town-kudos and thanks for your continous support.

expect to see more of lionel dunlop at our events aswell,thats how it works for us-you support we support,no handouts.

all the usual suspects who always make it out-doug,steph,dwayne and the ajax crew,mr.adam winnick(FORMAT LIVE!-let's make it happen),dave cooper(we gonna get you out too!),julia(girl you are the shit!keep doing your thing we all love you!),mr.dez,ben boles,verg,shamus,all of the tech-support crew(looking forward to march 11),matt thibadeu,jai-bot(good to see you out bro,it's been a while),craig ramsay (aka that boy from scotland,thanks for the cd,i will get at you),jeff van h,oh shit sorry if i forgot anyone but you know it's all love.

also a big thanks to mel who always does a kick ass job at the door,a tireless and thankless job,i know,we'll give you a break next month.

next month is gonna be a stormer too w/ adam marshall,jay hunsburger LIVE and tempo resident daniel torrance.

these events are gonna keep growing and we have some BIG,BIG ones planned already for the spring and summer-watch out!

cheers!

curt martin

xoxo

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
Wish I could have reached this!! I was just too pooped after finishing work. Happy to hear things are going so well.

Winick

TRIBE Member
Definately a great night:

Pretty girls, lots of hot booty in tight jeans, lots of vibrations and jiggles and wiggles (inside her).

I echo Curt's comments, Arthur is definately gaining momentum worldwide with the success of his Cratesaver's release and has worked tirelessly with his natural flare for live techno in any situation, gear, laptop, no gear, no laptop, party, no party...As our idol Vince Clarke said so diligently, "i just can't get enough".

Speedy J? Who the fuck is Speedy J? He ain't got NOTHIN on Toronto's talent live techno pool! It isn't like anyone who books Speedy J anyways would have the balls to book someone who isn't a club DJ populus to match him live. It would have only made for a more amazing live techno concept evening. How many fuckin Korg Kaos Pad swipes can one person here in one set! And since when is a Live PA done on an MP3 player anyways? thats all Traktor is.. Itunes with a crossfader...Bring some gear that you actually have to play, and have nothing prepared and lets see what happens... pussy! Its like watching a rapper lip sync...

Curt... what can i say, class act, great event organization, great set...

Eric: I don't get to hear you spin often enough, please book this guy more...

Thanks for the great audio my friends...

Adam

JuJuHound

TRIBE Member
"also a big thanks to mel who always does a kick ass job at the door,a tireless and thankless job,i know,we'll give you a break next month."

That girl always has a great smile! Puts you in a good mood once your in!!

Adam Marshall!!!!!! sweeeeeeeet

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
Speedy J vs. all/any Toronto LivePA artist(s)

You can't compare the two.... Totally different experience. Totally different expectations!

We have some amazing artists in this city all who do livePA's the way they should be done. Local, with gear, and with all sorts of fire! And that's what makes nites like Tempo interesting.. cause alot of these guys wouldn't get any recognition or access to a crowd without em. So hats off to you guys for making an event thats less about the "scene" of techno and more about having fun listening to music and shaking a foot!

And as for Speedy J with just laptops... I'd really like to see him on gear! Cause his laptop set was impressive still.

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
Speedy J? Who the fuck is Speedy J? He ain't got NOTHIN on Toronto's talent live techno pool! It isn't like anyone who books Speedy J anyways would have the balls to book someone who isn't a club DJ populus to match him live. It would have only made for a more amazing live techno concept evening. How many fuckin Korg Kaos Pad swipes can one person here in one set! And since when is a Live PA done on an MP3 player anyways? thats all Traktor is.. Itunes with a crossfader...Bring some gear that you actually have to play, and have nothing prepared and lets see what happens... pussy! Its like watching a rapper lip sync...

why are you shitting on Speedy J? I didn't even see you at the party. Therefore your opinion is moot. Why would he or anyone go into a gig with nothing prepared? especially live? My god, get a grip! I love what Arthur does. I love Speedy J does. But they're completely different. AND then to imply that Greg Gow doesn't have any balls???? Shit buddy. You're messed.

ps - sorry for thread crapping but that's just retarded. I reiterate how much I wish I had the energy to come out to this.:(

Last edited:

ktown

TRIBE Member
Winick said:

Adam

you sound like a fucking moron adam

speedy j wasn't playing live this past week . it was a dj/live set with 2 fucking laptops

he had a wack of gear last time around, and he fucking detroyed it

don't get me wrong, i'm sure that arthur tore it up, and i was sad to miss it but i think that hosting a fundraiser is a legitimate excuse.

how much gear can 1 person bring overseas when booked for gigs ? ask arthur how much gear he is bringing on tour with him, to my knowledge he had to buy some compact shit, for that reason alone.

ARTHUR YOU ARE STELLAR ! This post has absolutely nothing to do with you, you have an amazing live pa !

SPEEDY J is legendary. If its not your cup of tea, thats fine... but PUSSY ?

Fuck, your post really pissed me off :rolleyes:

ktown

TRIBE Member
one last thing

Winick said:
well... I had 3 people say to me last night,
oh you still read tribe? you don't post anymore" well I only post when I have something I feel i want to communicate to everyone else, and yes, most of the time its promoting my crews' records, parties, and gigs, and trying to track down doug and tommy... So here's a bit of a rattlesnake... Speedy J's live PA was incredible. Haven't heard techno like that in years. Its sorely missed. That was the type of techno I fell in love with. You can't buy records that sound like that anymore. Its all crap now with a contest of how many tracks can we pull clip samples from and cram into one track..., put a kick behind it and call it techno. I got news for you, its called REMIXING MOTHERFUCKERS! Hell some Format tracks of guilt of that too. But still the same techno superstars keep recycling ideas and selling records and people eat it up and say its techno. Last night I heard, pounds, white noise, filters, synthesizers, hi hats made of white noise, drums made from synths, toms made from synths.. Thats techno... "technology music" hello, sampling is technology but take it one step further, listening to the sounds of pure sinewave and giving it pulse, and pitch, and volume, and moving all that shit around. Thats pure technology music. Last night, I cannot stress enough, was the type of techno I fell in love with when I first discovered techno, and I haven't heard it for so long, and it reminded me why I started doing live PA's in the first place. We probably won't hear techno like that for a while again. Last night was a learning experience. Caspian... hardest set I've heard u play in a long time, thanks for the hard on!

i have nothing else to say.