• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Oh mon Dieu, Duriez!

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Dude French fucked me so hard, he lowered my IQ by 20 points!
I have never seen him live before and he totally killed me, I almost passed out due to the bombs he was throwing. I just wanted to say that whoever missed this, missed having an orgasm on the dancefloor.

Happy 1yr anniversary, Footwork!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
i reeeeeeeally wish i wasn't still awake right now. it's like Duriez implanted a chip in the back of my neck that has me hearing beats FOREVER in my head... i just want to keep moving, keep dancing BUT I'M EXHAAAAAUUUSSSSSSTED.

and way to sober for CoZo. where's Cherry Beach when you need it?
I laughed, I danced, I bought a crapload of shooters and took tons of Polaroids which I will scan and post when I get "a few minutes".

Brought friends who had never been to Footwork or any Footwork-type establishment before and who left with a whole new appreciation for house music and who all said that FW was awesome. I was sure they'd love it and so glad they did.

Duriez is top quality. AND SUCH A SWEETHEART!
LASERS.
mmm

a better review when my brain works (funny, it's not working, but it won't shut down to let me get some sleep)... ditto to KillaLady.

hehehehe - nice to meet Mrs Pink. hehehehe.

STEPH IS HOT. JOEL IS GORGEOUS. i want to make me a Footwork sandwich and have me some birthday boys for lunch. mmmMM!

happybdayfootwork.:O
xo, maria's so wired and it's all DAVE HILL'S FAULT. crackhead.

Jonesy

TRIBE Member
i'm proud of my boys. One solid year of hard work, good times and great beats. Congratulations, Soel and Jeph....I love you both, and feel blessed to be a part of something so awesome.

<3

ps....dirka dirka!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
oucheeeee lika bitch....What a night, the duzzer played a combo of his usual stuff with the more bouncy chi town feel.. i think.... well thats what i heard... But to be fair im not sure that i could remember a lot of the night...

Mazzer... Cheers for the jager!!! And another Jager.... oh dear i feel a bout of epic illness...

No sleep for this little puppy at the moment.. I drank too much red bull. uggghhhhh.. Good work Footwork Crew!! Gals, Guy, Steph & Joel... You really make it an experience!!!

Peace bitches!1

vench

TRIBE Promoter
by the time I dropped one of my friends off at home and got back to the city it was close to 5am... needless to say I am a little disappointed about not being able to make it to help the boys celebrate the 1 year.

congrats guys.

hopefully someone recorded this set...

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
I tried REALLY hard to get off teh plane and go to this but it was a no go...good to see Duriez came out in his usual full form...

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
dru2 said:
How long was Duriez's set? 4-5 hours?

I was anticipating Hodges to come on at 3AM!!
Actually, I think only 3 hours and change, but I could be wrong. I know he finished at 4am.

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
Hey Killa, great to meet yos EVENTUALLY...SOO many tribers, good to see yo all have got impecible taste for parties...

Word up bitches....

deevah

TRIBE Member
good to hear it went well
i was in no shape to come out
happy 1 yr footwork.....and many mooooooooore

good work joel & steph!

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Got there and gleeson was throwing down some sick goodies. wicked vibe. i got pretty goofy on the dancefloor after many beers and jager shots. fun fun!

elektrofunk

TRIBE Member
Had a great time at footwork last night. Partying there last night made me realize how special that place is. Got in at 11:00 pm with ease despite all the rumours on how long it might of taken to get in that night. Hali and Gleeson opened up the place nicely with a great mix of bumpin and tech house. Then Duriez came on and kept the place bumpin nicely. It was the first time seeing him after listening to so many of his sets and he did not disappoint. Smiles all around in the crowd. Everyone seemed to be have a jacking good time. Bonus for was to see so many familiar faces. Left at around three to a still jumpin crowd as i wondered if jason hodges would make it on that night. Well did he? Happy anniversary and hope it's only the first of many.

that filipino guy named Sean

tonep

TRIBE Member
i really couldn't get into Davids set, it was really all over the place, i thought he had trouble holding a steady dancefloor... but whatever, i still had a great time, Gleason tore it up, i left just after griffin started playing..

thanks lee, and company for the hospitality, always a great time up in T.O. with you guys...

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Wish I could've stayed longer, unfortunately it's not up to me anymore ;)

As expected I missed out on some of my favorite peeps who arrived fashionably late. *cough* jonesy. Debated on placing bets on whether lunnen would arrive or not - I would've lost !!

Congrats to Steph and Joel on celebrating 1 Successful Year and a big thanks for all the hospitality. I feel lucky to have been a part of it. :)

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Ok proper review:

I got there when Hali and Gleeson were lubricating the vibe with some killer tunes, they were getting us ready for what it was to come.
And it came: it was acid, funky, dirty, tech-house with some chicago influence - some of the build-ups in the middle of some tracks were absolutely INSANE. It's like a nice plateau and than BANG, he literarly raped you on the dancefloor.
The flow was not as smooth, but it was good enough to keep the vibe alive and definitely keep everybody bumping.

He stepped down at 4am and by then, I was literarly done, I stayed for another 20 mins or so and then walked home.

Great to see lots of familiar faces and finally to have met Dave (about time, dude! LOL)
Thanks for the Jagger shot, although we have not been properly introduced, mariazmess ;) Thanks for the polaroid shot, we look awesome in the pic. (I must have been pretty stoned for not remembering how the pic ended up in my pants pocket).
Of course to those that I said hello, sorry I wasn't too social, I was a little out of it (that's what I get for smothing weed very rarely now).

Happy 1st bday Footwork! :)

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
Thanks for the Jagger shot, although we have not been properly introduced, mariazmess ;) Thanks for the polaroid shot, we look awesome in the pic. (I must have been pretty stoned for not remembering how the pic ended up in my pants pocket).
AH HA! i had ONE pic stolen from the wall... (which is awesome!! i was so afraid for my polaroids all night -- any other place and they would've all been torn down...) IT WAS YOU! you'd better scan it and send me a copy or else i'll cry... we have not been properly introduced which is a situation to be remedied... blame it on Dave - it's so easy to blame things on him.

better review when i'm not supposed to be, cough, "working".... pretending to work is so annoying.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
AH HA! i had ONE pic stolen from the wall... (which is awesome!! i was so afraid for my polaroids all night -- any other place and they would've all been torn down...) IT WAS YOU! you'd better scan it and send me a copy or else i'll cry... we have not been properly introduced which is a situation to be remedied... blame it on Dave - it's so easy to blame things on him.

better review when i'm not supposed to be, cough, "working".... pretending to work is so annoying.
But see... I don't even remember when I took it, or if it was me... NO clue.
I have it scanned, I will send it to you tonight, since it's on the home computer. :)

It's all Dave's fault.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
KillaLadY said:
But see... I don't even remember when I took it, or if it was me... NO clue.
I have it scanned, I will send it to you tonight, since it's on the home computer. :)

It's all Dave's fault.
Yeah blame it all on Duriez!!

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
We showed up at around 2am, just as Duriez was on. I immediately went onto the dancefloor and I only stopped dancing, oh, maybe a couple of times! He was sooooo good!!! I loved the white pony mix!! (the only song that stuck out in my head right now).
It was nice to see electrofunk, dance with b$, meet Silent Syd, and party with the awesome Footwerk crew.

P.S. I saw/ chatted with Algorythim!!! I fucking LOVE that guy :)

Congrats Footwork!!! A great job in bringing in wicked intl. DJ's, and supporting our talented locals!

Don C

TRIBE Member
Sorry to have missed the party, but congrats on an excellent first year! You guys treat your customers right, and will reap the rewards for some time to come, no doubt.

Cheers!

D

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
review propah

I arrived early and the first thing I noticed was the moving of the smoking section so that no one could go hide behind the alley wall.

Being me, my first reaction was, “where do I go smoke my joints?” I was later told that there had been noise complaints and they were trying to keep everyone in one spot to try and minimize the spreading of peeps and sound. There are renovation plans in the works to solve this and other problems, and I’m eager to see everything in the end!! (joints were smoked in the “corner” of the smoking section... shhhh... maybe no one will notice if I hide behind this guy...)

Footwork looked gorgeous as always, with tons of balloons, flowers, and hot peeps! The cubby-hole tall-person bar got a face-lift and looks oh-so cute with its little wall paper and shelving!!

There was LASERS!

Everyone was ready to rock and although it never got packed (surprising!!!! I blame crack and Tiga), the place was perfectly filled leaving everyone with enough room to dance or just hang out. Hali got us going and played a lovely set. I never get to FW quite as early as I did on Saturday, so I’m happy that I got a chance to hear Hali spin!! Mr. Gleeson is a cutie!! (Wait and see the adorable polaroid of Joel w/ Gleeson) His set kicked it up a notch and got the dancefloor hoppin. Nice to see so many kids on the dancefloor so early!!

I saw David Duriez enter the bar and I jumped on him. He’s got to be one of the nicest Frenchmen alive. I’d left him a few comments and messages on MySpace to let him know how excited I was (who, me?) and it was so cool to meet him in person and have him be so receptive and nice!! It was cool to speak French with him too and listen to his cutie-patootie French accent.

Man oh man did he ever bring it! There are a few “great tracks” that I’m getting tired of hearing (when Fingers played it, it was awesome – when François K played it, it was awesome – when Fabrice Lig played it, it was surprising... I still like the tracks, but COME ON) but on the whole his set was jumpin, crazy, and it hit hard in all the right places. My straightest and most rock’n’roll friend Jeremy “understood house music” for the first time on Saturday. It was nice to hear him say that!! Yay weed+booze+footwork+duriez!

After his set Monsieur Duriez was bummed he couldn’t get his 4th drink (although I think Joel saw to that for him – he was much obliged). Duriez is good friends with Phil Weeks and I apparently Weeks had told him that Footwork peeps know their shit and were nuts – he had to bring it propah! Duriez asked me to compare what it was like when Weeks had been there last, if it was as packed, better or worse. I have the memory of a 5-year old who’s ADD, but I did say that I’ve never seen the dancefloor so full at 4am.

There was much more EEKing and hugging of Duriez, but I’ll spare you. Duriez said that he’d lost the polaroid I’d taken of him... it fell between the turntables and the front of the booth... i hope someone finds it!! (unless it’s in the abyss of KillaLadY’s ass pocket!!)

DaveHill was so-super-hammered. It wasn’t funny at 2am when it was at its worst (did you just slap me?), but it was reeeeally funny at 4am when he was blasted and couldn’t finish his sentences or stand. He was even funnier at 6am. So entertaining. Dave, I’m glad we’re friends. You’re entertainment for HOURS.

Can we find a different projection for the screen? Yes, yes, this is Jack’s house and in the house there are people dancing and it’s so great. I’M SO OVER IT. People who’ve only been to FW once before are over it. So get over it and change it!

Bouncers were nice and adorable as always. Guestlist went well and everyone’s name was where it was supposed to be. Wiseman waited for me to stop being a crack-head at coatcheck – you’re nice but you’re shifty... that’s all I’ll say. Ladies’ washroom stayed clean and had paper towels all night! Weee! The bar peeps were hot and nice and all that great stuff (iheartjaime!!). It’s too bad Steph&Joel actually had to *work* on their anniversary.

Nice to meet so many Tribe peeps!! Please, if I stare at you blankly next time we meet, remember the 5 year old ADD kid and take pity!! I love you even though I can’t remember your name! (how many times have I said THAT to someone...)

Again, Mrs Pink, hehehehehehehe. I think of you and giggle. Don’t know why, just do.
All the Tribe lurkers that I met, HI!
One year down and many many more awesome nights at Footwork to come!!

aside: My friend Keith offered me a drink and then asked when I was allowed to start drinking again and I said that by my calculations, June 17th was the date – his answer, “perfect! Priiide weekennnnd...”

SWEET! Oh noooo... oh nono. If there was one weekend Maria shouldn’t be allowed to drink or do drugs, it’s Pride. mouahhahahaha... mouahHAHAHA!