• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

oh gee, big brother IS watching...

somasociety

TRIBE Member
Has anyone out there heard about Carnivore ?

Officially, it's a program which provides the FBI with a “surgical” ability to intercept and collect communications which are the subject of a court order, while ignoring those communications which they are not authorized to accept. Unofficially, it's one of the clearest examples I've come across of how the internet has facilitated the expansion of the state’s surveillance powers, and of its ability to monitor and respond to those risks that it perceives as threatening.

Even worse? After 9/11 that messy court order technicality has been removed, theoretically allowing the gov't to keep tabs on ANY data flow it encounters which contains whatever 'key words' it wants to monitor... (e.g. "yo, that shit's the BOMB!"?)

Not to be the voice of negative vibes, but IMHO, prior to the development and widespread use of the internet, such a potentially invasive surveillance mechanism could never have been realized, nor an individual’s thoughts, motives, and activities be so plainly revealed. So watch what you post on tribe, kids!
 
Stop Bill C-10

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
We should make sure to spread the words around that carnivore seeks... make them commonplace lingo for all emails and shit...

That would fuck them....haha...

Sincerely bomb new york child porn terrorism yak yak...

Hmmm... see that? Looks like gobbleygook to me, but to carnivore it would mean something...

The goverment is always pretending to have shit it doesn't... morons...
 

somasociety

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd


Sincerely bomb new york child porn terrorism yak yak...

Hmmm... see that? Looks like gobbleygook to me, but to carnivore it would mean something...


Yeah, that's the problem I see with it too.. no fuckin' comprehension of context.

hmm... what else...

osama saddam anthrax milosevic crack cocaine scuttlebutt
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rocky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
We should make sure to spread the words around that carnivore seeks... make them commonplace lingo for all emails and shit...

That would fuck them....haha...

Sincerely bomb new york child porn terrorism yak yak...

Hmmm... see that? Looks like gobbleygook to me, but to carnivore it would mean something...

The goverment is always pretending to have shit it doesn't... morons...

i'm not sure why we would want to fuck them that way. i think that it is a good thing that the government is looking out for us. i have nothing to hide and you probably don't either. i don't mind that they may be spying on my emails etc. because it is merely a measure that they have taken to try to combat the evils of terrorism and child pornography. i'm a nerd.
 

deep

TRIBE Member
I've heard all the stuff about carnivore and echelon and what not, and just gotta say that it would take an immense amount of allocated computing power, configuration and finances to make happen.
 

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
echelon.jpg
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayIsBored
if you played video games you'd like deus ex

damn nsa

poor jay, only has jc denton to seek solace in. next time I blow off pete's or kife's face with an m4 I'll think of you.
 

Michkey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by somasociety


Yeah, that's the problem I see with it too.. no fuckin' comprehension of context.

hmm... what else...

osama saddam anthrax milosevic crack cocaine scuttlebutt

Forget about context, how about the fact that terrorists have some intellect and would most likely use coded messages anyway.
 
Top