• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Oh Boy, Lent!

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
As a viking, I find your single god puny and weak... but since today is Ash Wednesday and the first day of lent, I thought I'd bring it up.

Traditionally Lent is used to prepare yourselves for the easter celebrations through reflection, penance and abstinence of vices.

Lent ends on easter, which happens to my birthday... woot!

(aside: how and why about when Easter is link )

***​

Heres some lent information!

from the bbc

Why 40 Days?
40 is a significant number in Jewish-Christian scripture:
In Genesis, the flood which destroyed the earth was brought about by 40 days and nights of rain.
The Hebrews spent 40 years in the wilderness before reaching the land promised to them by God.
Moses fasted for 40 days before receiving the ten commandments on Mount Sinai.
Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the wilderness in preparation for his ministry.

Why is it called Lent?
Lent is an old English word meaning to lengthen. Lent is observed in spring, when the days begin to get longer.

Why the colour purple?
Purple is the symbolic colour used in some churches throughout Lent, for drapes and altar frontals.

Purple is used for two reasons: firstly because it is associated with mourning and so anticipates the pain and suffering of the crucifixion, and secondly because purple is the colour associated with royalty, and celebrates Christ’s resurrection and sovereignty.

Detail of painting "The Battle between Carnival and Lent"

Fasting (from Wikipedia)

Fasting during Lent was more severe in ancient times than it is today. Meat, fish, eggs and milk products were strictly forbidden, and only one meal was taken each day. Today, in the West, the practice is considerably relaxed, though in the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Catholic Oriental Churches abstinence from the above mentioned food products is still commonly practised. Lenten practices (as well as other liturgical practices) are more common in Protestant circles than they once were.

***​

Yesterday was Shrove (or Mardi Gras/Pancake Tuesday... party!), today is Ash Wednesday (fasting and going to church, ug, hungover!)

I always associate easter with spring and shaking off the winter blues... the grey dirty sky brightens to blue, flowers bloom and all over the white middleclass christian world rabbits poop tinfoil wrapped chocolate. 40 days left and counting!

(well... fourty four if you include sundays, which apparently we don't... christianity, wild eh?)

kat

TRIBE Member

mm forbidden eggs.

the sundays arent included because theyre supposed to celebrate other shizznazz, that i cant remember, but wikipedia did.

ive never done a fast..but sometimes i think i should. just so i can blame my hunger on god and jesus for a change.
but i think i will just eat pancakes whenever i feel like it instead.

waffles and french toast are way better anyway.

peko

TRIBE Member
40 days of yoga and running to prepare for the chocolate eating olympic weekend.... I think I'll start with yoga. ;)

My sister and I used to give up 'junk food.'*
*we were still allowed to purchase junk food or accept candy gifts/donations

And, we what we had, was stashed away until the end of Lent.

Breaking into that candy stash, what a sugar rush.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

peko

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I think I might try going 40 days without caffine
green teas is an alright substitute. kudos to you, no caffine, what a major sacrifice.

good luck!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
peko said:
green teas is an alright substitute. kudos to you, no caffine, what a major sacrifice.

good luck!

Hey I know it sounds minor but its a realistic goal that I might be able to accomplish. I also tend to drink 6 - 8 cups of coffee or coke a day so its far from insignificant. This isn't just giving up my morning coffee!

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
kmac said:
I'm going to give up on life.
wrong, you're going to give on being lame and old.

by the end of lent, you're going to be 19 and awesome! I believe in you!

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I really hate the fact that Ash Wednesday happens to overlap with Whopper Wednesday. Is it considered "fasting" if I hold the mayo?

Bean

TRIBE Member
snacks!

trying to get my partner in crime in on the whole lent thing, but i think i am outta luck.

b-strong, bmoney! :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
There's too many birthdays this month to deprive myself of sugar or fat. I haven't had meat or alcohol since Christmas, maybe I'll take up drinking and BLT's. :)

Colm

TRIBE Member
The ashes of Ash Wednesday

Catholics, and non-Catholics too - if you want to get your head dirty, will go sometime today to get the ashes of last Easter's burnt palms smeared cruciform on their foreheads. In Canada, its one of only two days of obligation in which Catholics have to fast and attend Mass. When one receives the ashes, the priest (or extraordinairy minister) says: "Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return".

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
In Canada, its one of only two days of obligation in which Catholics have to fast and attend Mass. When one receives the ashes, the priest (or extraordinairy minister) says: "Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return".

Is Good Friday the other?

I found good friday to be vastly under rated. It has kneeling sitting and standing in a line to kiss the feet of a statue or a peace of wood. How they haven't been able to market it as a video game is beyond me.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
peko said:

good luck!
green tea has caffeine in it. less than coffee or black tea, but still enough to get you blinking faster.

i'm doing the no refined sugar thing.
i'm not going to be totally extreme about it - i'll still eat jam, for instance - but no desserts with sugar (i.e. fruit/yogourt type things are it for the next 40 days.)

really - i'm just 'using' lent.
i don't have faith in the christian dogma, but the ease of not having to count the days until chocolate time (a.k.a. easter) is too good to pass up. ;)

patri©k

TRIBE Member
man... I haven't gone this long without pop since I started drinking it.

coffee... tea.. juice... flavoured water... JUST DOESN'T CUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

*shakes*

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
oohhh im so amped for lent.

ive given up oooogling girls on the street,
catcalls to girls in tight skirts,
hooting at MILFs in the park
and pincing busy waitresses at sports bra's... im mean sport bars... i mean sports bra's.....