• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Office Politics

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
When I first started this job I was amazed how such a large company had so little office politics. When I refer to 'office politics' I refer to the little people. Skeaming, gossiping etc.
(Obviously there higher up the ladder, the more 'politics' are present)

So... there is this girl who was on 'contract' got pregant and left the company. Since she's had her baby, she's been back to visit about 6 or so times to visit with her 'old' boss, my 'new'boss (this was a structural change, I did not move into her position, my boss moved into my old boss' position). Anyhoo, this bothers me - for a number of reasons

1) she doesn't work here.
2) she has visited far more than any permanent, full time employee who has been on mat. leave.
3) the rumor mill (since the day she left) has been that she guaranteed a job, full time, when she feels ready to come back when there have been other contract employees working their asses off for the last year who won't get full time.
4) she is clearly after my job

So she comes by today, her 4 year old is running around like a monster so she can 'check up' on my boss to see how he's doing, how the kids and wife are. yadda yadda *irk*

I really *really* want to address this with him, or HR or someone. Not only were there security breaches during her visit, but it disrupted everyones work, and I don't think it's fair that I should be put in a position to feel insecure about my job - a Full Time position, for some skeeming little witch who was never full time in the first place.

........I'm not sure I've made a point here. I just needed to get that off my chest.

someone please check for grammatical errors

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Don't even think about saying anything. Do a good job, keep your head down, and let your results speak for themselves.

scott

TRIBE Member
I too started at a big company (a bank) a year and a half ago and for the most part, kept to myself figuring everyone was friends and there were no office politics. Then I fooled around with a girl from the office and a whole new world of bullshit opened up.

There's bullshit politics everywhere.

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
Don't worry about it until your boss approaches you about "the witch" returning to work. Then I would speak up and tell him how you feel about the subject. Right now you might be jumpin the gun a little. But, I understand your stress.

I hate office politics but it's EVERYWHERE. I truly hope to avoid ever getting that feeling of waking up and dreding going to work. I've been getting hints of that lately and I'm worried. Especially when it effects you when you're not at work and you stay awake thinking about it...arrrgghhh.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
here's the thing. I really like my job. I like the people I work with. But visits like today get me way off keester. I'd like to think that I can be honest with my boss, or HR as least.

labRat

TRIBE Member
i don't think rumour mills and paranoia go over well with the boss or HR.

speak openly with your boss about your performance and long term goals and he/she should let you know where you stand. no need to involve HR ... it's like crying to the union boss.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
ok, let me clarify. There are rumors yes, but there are also facts. It has been openly discussed by this person (the one after my job) and other people at the company that she is returning. It has also been made clear that my boss 'adores' her (exact words from another Sr. Manager). HR has also indicated that they 'will find something for her'

I'm just venting here, it seems all the feedback I am getting is don't be upfront so maybe I should rethink this. But I think I owe it to myself and the other people who are getting the bum end of the stick to speak up.

deep

TRIBE Member
Not necessarily "don't be upfront"...the core of people's suggestions is that you shouldn't catastrophize before anything worth freaking out over actually happens. It's good that you're aware of a potential threat, but recognize that your fear over losing your position may be putting you more on edge than need be.

If you're doing a competent job and have the proof for it, then it will be difficult for your boss to just casually discard you and give the job back to suck up. If you want to direct your energy, start accumulating proof and arguments so that you can openly protest an unfair job shuffling to the people who you'll have to talk to.

But you may find that you never need to use those arguments. It may be just as likely that they're discussing where else she could fit in - that they do want her back but that it's not exactly possible for her to get your job without it causing grief for management, HR, etc.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Agent Smith
Don't even think about saying anything. Do a good job, keep your head down, and let your results speak for themselves.
I can't believe I am doing this...

but I agree...

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
Not necessarily "don't be upfront"...the core of people's suggestions is that you shouldn't catastrophize before anything worth freaking out over actually happens. It's good that you're aware of a potential threat, but recognize that your fear over losing your position may be putting you more on edge than need be.

If you're doing a competent job and have the proof for it, then it will be difficult for your boss to just casually discard you and give the job back to suck up. If you want to direct your energy, start accumulating proof and arguments so that you can openly protest an unfair job shuffling to the people who you'll have to talk to.

But you may find that you never need to use those arguments. It may be just as likely that they're discussing where else she could fit in - that they do want her back but that it's not exactly possible for her to get your job without it causing grief for management, HR, etc.
thank you :)
that's the best advise yet - I just might have to take it.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sheik rock
Not if she was a contract worker.
Why not?

What if the boss really does think that this woman does do the job better?
Obviously, she's coming in for a reason. If no one has told her to leave then too bad. It must mean people actually like her.

I, personally, would say something when the time is right. Timing is key. Because you don't want to blow it early on. And you don't want to wait till the last minute.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scott
I too started at a big company (a bank) a year and a half ago and for the most part, kept to myself figuring everyone was friends and there were no office politics. Then I fooled around with a girl from the office and a whole new world of bullshit opened up.
Ha. If that's actually true, that's YOUR problem.

That's awesome that your entire female staff know how big your penis is.