• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Oculus VR

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks! That was pretty awesome and I got a good chuckle too.

"Thankfully, testers remained clothed when trying the setup out."

:)

I don't think I'm going to play too much or too often at a time. I really did feel sick at work today for about 20 minutes. We're working on a project so that's why we got them early in the "Development" phase. It comes with a SDK. Consumer version out shortly too. This isn't the only one either.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
CES making big announcements today on VR.

Oculus has made some changes due to all the motion sickness. Should be easier to use/play now.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
ya it goes away when I get into practise but your experience had me thinking I would need to train before I could use Oculus reliably... did the effect go away the more you used it?

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
ya it goes away when I get into practise but your experience had me thinking I would need to train before I could use Oculus reliably... did the effect go away the more you used it?
Yeah it did, but I had to get used to that blur/drag when rotating my neck left and right. The first day in the office when it was there, I would say 70% couldn't handle it.

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
If I buy the dev kit what can I do? I am in noway a developer or able to code anything. Can the dev kit be used as a consumer model? Or better to wait. $300usd is cheap!!

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
If I buy the dev kit what can I do? I am in noway a developer or able to code anything. Can the dev kit be used as a consumer model? Or better to wait. $300usd is cheap!!
Yes you are right, it is for use and development. You get the SDK with the current version. Wait it out, a new version is being released shortly.

Did anyone watch CES last night? Check out this update from Sony

CES 2014 - Consumer Electronics Show - IGN

:O

kuba

TRIBE Member
the wired story behind the oculus is cool, so is the creator. I thought, though, that it's supposed to be break-thru because you DON'T get sea-sick..

Karim

TRIBE Member
Just won a Samsung Note 4 and Gear S watch over the weekend at a Hackathon. Turns out there's an Oculus headset for the Note 4. Gonna pick that up and try that out...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Just won a Samsung Note 4 and Gear S watch over the weekend at a Hackathon. Turns out there's an Oculus headset for the Note 4. Gonna pick that up and try that out...
sweet haul!

My buddy does some developing for VR stuff. He lets me play with his toys. You would hate it Pratik as I'm not a motion sickness kinda guy and it's a bit disorienting. Not during, after the goggles come off for me.

[YOUTUBE]iqgKSxZbzWo[/YOUTUBE]

Karim

TRIBE Member
Did you order it? I'm interested in seeing this.
Unfortunately they are not taking orders yet. I'll share my experience as soon as I get it and try it out. From what I read, it's not as good as the an actual Oculus Rift with motion tracking. It has no motion tracking so it's more in line with the first rift. And although the screen on the new Note is very sharp, apparently it's still not good enough for truly immersive VR.

The reason I'm even considering it is because it's to come bundled with everything from the Oculus store for no extra charge so I can try out the various different mini games and apps.

Last edited:

Karim

TRIBE Member
They're shipping stateside. I placed an order to have it shipped to a PO box in Niagara Falls NY. Should get it sometime next week. The family's gonna get a kick out of this come the holidays.

Karim

TRIBE Member
So the Gear VR came in, and when I plugged it into my Canadian model Rogers Phone, it didn't work.... It's made to work on US model AT&T or US model unlocked phones.

However, I did eventually get it working by rooting the phone, flashing it with the Dynamic Kat 3 ROM, and the AEL Kernel. Now it works! It's a bit of a process so if anyone ends up getting one, and wants to do this to their Rogers Phone, shoot me a message and I'll give you a step by step guide as there is little info about this online. If there's ever a Canadian release, then there'll be an OS update to make it work no doubt.

About the VR experience, it's kind of cool. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed at how pixelated the display is. The low video quality prevents you from getting that disconnected from reality feeling I was hoping to get.

There's plenty of content though which is nice. Most of it is short, and very demo'y, but a decent variety of experiences from rock concerts, to aerial tours of exotic destinations. A few games too, but I don't have a bluetooth game pad to get the most out of them.

It's a cool experience none the less, and it'll be a hit with the family at Christmas, but it is still very much a novelty and I can see this thing collecting dust soon.

I look forward to the day when display tech is ultra high def that you can't see the pixels on this thing, and when the headsets are so light they barely feel there. Until then, I definitely feel like an early adopter using this and I feel like it may not be ready for prime time.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Friend of mine has a Oculus VR 2 that hes wanting to sell, anyone interested, PM me or email at jyrobotomus @ gmail dot com

Merry Xmas All !