• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Oblivion

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Played this game last night, damn the graphics are crazy. Pretty cool, even though i'm more of a Doom 3/GTA than RPG kind of guy.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I just picked up the GOTY edition, and after realizing i was Playing Fallout 3 but about 3000 years in the past with Magic, i am just got out of the Sewers and have to find Jaffre.

i want to play this through in anticipation of Skyrim-Elderscrolls V being released this fall.

i decided to be a Breton, born under the Thief sign, and specializing in i believe its called Sorcerersword or something.

anyone else ever play this through, i heard its a HUGE game even compared to Fallout 3

MBoy

TRIBE Member
Yes! Played this game through in 2006, it is enormously epic. The dark brotherhood guild quests were a lot of fun, kill any npc to initiate it. Even if you kill someone in private, the act will be "seen" and you will be accosted later in the game by someone offering you membership, if you don't mind the infamy that goes along with murder most foul. I found the mage's guild to be very cumbersome to get into, but i prefer arms to spells.
Have fun!

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I have a half-completed game saved, some 20 or 30 hours put into it and I don't think I'm halfway through the main plotline. This is definitely one of those games where you could put a very respectable amount of time into without even touching the main story.

I'm especially fond of the way experience works, in that you gain points specific to the skills you use every time you use them. This is in contrast to a lot of other RPGs where you assign your points to the skills you expect to use in the future whenever you level up.

Only gripe is that my girlfriend hates when I play this game because of how boring it appears, but it's probably the best example of a truly open world game where you can do whatever the hell you want with your character.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Awesome, its weird as i have never played an True fantasy RPG in FPS context, and so it feels a little odd, especially not being able to see a global view of what is attacking you, and when you do switch to 3rd person view long ranged aiming is basically out the window.

i have a feeling it will take me at least a month to finish this game if not 2 as i have hardly been able to play a few hours a week right now, sigh to busy summers !!!!

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I found the mage's guild to be very cumbersome to get into, but i prefer arms to spells.
Doing enough mage guild quests to open up that mage area in the main city (can't remember what it's called) is pretty much essential though. That's where you get access to enchanting and creating your own spells.

There's also an item that works as a reusable soul gem (again can't remember the name offhand)... look this one up and do that quest as soon as you are experienced enough because it makes enchanting a lot easier.

Once you can start enchanting, you can create pieces of armor, jewelry, etc... all with bonuses to stats & skills or that unleash spells when used (esp. for weapons). There are enough pieces of clothing that you can enchant to make it so that almost all your major stats are +8, +9 while you wear the items.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
wow glad i chose a Breton :) maybe i will go back to the save before i came out of the sewers and choose instead of theif sign, a mageclass sign instead like the apprentice or something.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
IIRC, the class that you choose ends up having a fairly negligible effect on your skills, as long as you're not a race with whom magic is precluded.

Man, I should get back into this game. My character was pretty stacked at the time I stopped.

MBoy

TRIBE Member
Picked this game back up after a long hiatus, and really enjoyed it again. Having fun with the last few thieves' guild quests right now. One more and I become the Grey Fox :) I might consider getting the next Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim, when it comes out in November. It will be interesting to see how Bethesda returns to Morrowind after spending so much time in the wastelands of Fallout.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MBoy

TRIBE Member
Subsonic: I will have to give the mage's guild another go once i'm finished with the thieve's guild... I know that the end missions of the Grey Fox are a good way to get turfed out of the Mage's Guild, and it's a real pain in the ass to get back in. I will look for that reusable soul gem, thanks for the tip. I found the 'skeleton key' which was a similarly useful tool for the thieves guild... essentially a lock pick that never breaks.