• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Oakenfold/Chemical Brothers

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
my review

I was really surprised when we pulled up to the Hershey centre, to see sooooo many people. Many license plates were from the US, and it reminded me how lucky we are here in Toronto to have such great talent pass through here on a weekly basis.

The Good
The lineups to get anywhere moved very quicky.
The crowd was more in the mature age bracket, and the alcohol was flowing.
Curtious staff
The dancefloor(mosh pit) was ROCKIN' HARD
Not many of the same ol same ol people for once.
The chems hit the stage at 10:30ish and rocked right through till about 12:20. All the hits were played "Block Rockin'" Hey boy" "Africa" "Star Guitar" and many many more.
The visuals were a nice added touch for once.
Great set all in all, very crowd pleasing.
Nice encore, song of the night would prolly be Hey Boy, Hey Girl

The Bad
The show started about 30mins late....I'm not used to concerts
Paul Oakenfold(not my forte sorry Oakey)
The first tune the chems dropped blew the horns in about half the soundsystem....we spent most of the night hearing the system cut in and out....and it was damn loud!
The usual juice-bags and gino's oakenfold is notorius for bringing out

This was a definate most go to, if you missed it....you suck
My head hurts from headbanging....
time for bed

PEAZE

:D

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
Mostly Awesome

Well I had a great time at this event.. My bro and some friend and I had tix up in the seats.. we got there just as Oakie was dropping a 4 year old track , and quickly decided to sneak onto the floor. Made it up to the front as the Chems went on.

They blew me away as they did last time, but my god the audience sucked ass...all around half the people were just standing there or nodding thier heads.. I almost felt embarressed for the brothers.. but they seemed to be having a good time.. I danced and went nuts regardless and got a kick out of this kid standing beside me, giving me a "I wonder what kind of drug that guy is on" type of look.... (I get it all the time).

The visuals were amazing as usual, and I noticed as soon as I walked in, all the recording gear and digital cameras... There were cameras all over the place, over the crowd and such. I GUARRENTEE a year from now there will be a dopeass DVD out.. the chems seem to be doing the same thing Underworld did a few years back.

Top tune of the night for me was Setting Sun....for those of you you may have bought the Private Pyschadelic Reel single, there is a 4/4 live version of Setting Sun on the flip side.. and my god it blows the original one away.. pure bliss for me.

The Chems themselves were amazing but I have to say when they came to the Guvernment in 99 it was much better.. mostly due to the crowd, and smaller space *not a big fan of seeing live pa and djs in such an arena*.

All in all a great night. I can't imagine how many people went to the afterparty though.. there didn't seem to be many party people there, but hey who knows.

Peace

Anthony

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Re: Mostly Awesome

Originally posted by lostintheEhole
this kid standing beside me, giving me a "I wonder what kind of drug that guy is on" type of look.... (I get it all the time).
Are you on drugs all the time?

Bumbaclat

maddog

TRIBE Member
Got to the after party at IT just before 12am to here the sounds of Kenny Glasgow(pure class) warming the room up nicely with his usual DIRTY QUIRKY BEATS:D
Before you knew it though the room cleared and most people headed as did I so I could show my buddy Greg how nice the rest of the club was. All floors were open as was the VIP. Luc played a pretty damn good set and had me going pretty good.
Next Mach 747(sorry if it's spelt wrong) came on. I think it was the second or third song and the 2 girls were singing to a trancier tune. That sounded really catchy. Some of the tunes had good melodies and the beats were good(Spacey breaks and vocal D&B) but now that they are with Oakey which will probably mean some HUGE festivals in Europe, they've got to work on their live show. They've got 3 guys in the back making the beats and 3 upfront(one guy MCing but not rapping) and two girls singing(very well I might add) but lacked the ability too draw the crowd in. It didn't help the fact that the sound dropped in volume quite a bit from DJ to PA. Lots of talent but on a bigger picture which I'm sure is where they're headed. A good live show makes you so much better:p Props to more local talent getting noticed on a world wide scale.
230 and John Selway was up next and besides the opening train of a mix(happens to everyone)The crowd was thin but we didn't care cause he played some sick ass tunes that made me feel like I wanted to start breaking. Played a fusion of what I'd call Rolling Progressive Techno. Wicked:D
Thought it would have been busier but whatever I had a great time
:cool: Jay(650)

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

ivezs

TRIBE Member
Re: Mostly Awesome

Well I had a great time at this event.. My bro and some friend and I had tix up in the seats..
I was up in the seats and damn, I envy you peeps that were on the dancefloor...I didn't realize that it was possible to get down there with the tickets I had so I spent the night bitching about being in the seats. I just wanted to dance really hard because when the chemical brothers came on and started off with the single "come with us" from their new album I KNEW,the rest of the show was going to ROCK....and it did!

.. I danced and went nuts regardless and got a kick out of this kid standing beside me, giving me a "I wonder what kind of drug that guy is on" type of look.... (I get it all the time).
Oh...yeah....I got that look, over and over again! I was in the season ticket holder's section with a bunch of momma's girls and boys who didn't mind sitting down for the entire show!! They were so boring! HOW the hell can you sit down when the CBro's are Rocking so hard???...I couldn't figure that one out, but I kept on dancing regardless of the looks that I was getting....you'd think that everyone was there to party but I guess not.....Must be a Mississauga thing....

All in all I don't regret going. The music was tight and it was nice getting things started so early for a change and with no alcohol in my system due to the fact that it was banned in our section, kept me sober for the better part of the night and I was able to appreciate the music a little more.....

Highlight of the night? "HEY BOYS....HEY GIRLS" Damn, the place was crazy hype when that came on!

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by RUBYJAY
Did I mention Selway kicked my ass!:cool: Jay(7am)
fuck off jay! :mad:
i wanted to be there so bad but my ankle is the size of a tennis ball! :(
glad to hear you had a good time.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
I just had a nice review written and once again this piece of shit software erased it via a login timeout... so now I'm angry and I will just say it was a really good show.

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Mostly Awesome

Originally posted by Bumbaclat

Are you on drugs all the time?

Bumbaclat
Sober as a nun my friend.. You don't need any form of substance to get of to the Chems rockin it live

BreakzBroad

TRIBE Member
went to the after party, got in when 3 gurls were singing.and 2 gurls dressed in red leather shirts and like cowskirts or something were dancing like idiots on the stage with glowstix. It was part of the live show. WHAT THE HELL????? so many weirdo's, just not my kinda ppl. we stayed for a bit for john selway.he was good, but not that good to keep me sticking around with all those crackerjacks:D

ran into patio-d, we couldn't stop laughing!!! thanx BRAD!
sorry i missed the actual concert!

*jen*

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
The show was wicked. I enjoyed it.

But the real fun was with me and my buddy Pete comparing the event to the 'good ole days'. Who thought it would come to this? It was a concert, promoted like a party...

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be approaching the party and in the parking lot I'd hear scalpers yelling: "Who needs tickets? Who needs 2 on the floor?". Weird. Then, as we get inside and check the place out, we notice the concert type vibe that the venue exuded. We joked that someone should be here selling Oakenfold T-Shirts... and as we rounded the next corner SOMEONE WAS! I went looking for a Chemical Brothers Foam Finger... but alas, none were found.

It was a great experience. To see so many people going nuts, on the floor, in the stands... and to see such a diverse crowd.

It was a good night.

Par- T

TRIBE Member
Wow!
The Brothers sure know how to put on a show.
Absolutely fantastic:
- the darkened arena to start
- 4 beams of light crossing in front of the equipment podium
- everyones arms in the air, excitement, tension, anticipation ...
- then first notes of "Come with us" filtering over the crowd
- Bam and they're letting loose, stobes exploding, black and white firework visuals across the screens, everyone jumping up and down (I'm getting goose-bumps thinking back). Bring it on!!

The Chemical Bros. were totally off the hook last night, wonderful trippy visuals and lighting completely in sinc. with the tracks. I kind of knew what to expect, having seen them in '99 at the Warehouse, is it possible to get even better?
Nothing quite like experiencing great tunes with the whole package of visual stimulation and a crowd totally up for it, screaming behind you. Got up, directly in front of the podium, right in the centre of it all. Amazing looking back at times and seeing absolutely everyone (seats and floor) erupt - jumping and screaming people, going off as the beats were being dropped :D

We got it all - Hey boy hey girl, Star guitar, Block rockin' beats, It began in Afrika, Music: response. Even got 2 encores, which were obviously planned but who cares - bring it down, leave the stage, have everyone scream for more, add a slow build beat in the background and then reappear and watch the place lose it. I was in joy all night, if only it could have lasted longer.

Damn, it must have sucked huge to be stuck in the seats!
Oh, there was also a guy from Perfecto, Paul somebody-or-other, spinning when I got there - sounded like 1998, didn't pay any attention. Before or after the Chems, nothing else matters: pure Chemical B Bliss !

Nice to party with you Ethan (or is it Bob?) and your friends. Thanks for the ride home - Yorkdale is so close :p but I guess it's better than being tossed out the window on the 401.

-T

Par- T

TRIBE Member
Oh, I should say that there was one drawback: the 2 hours it took to get to the deepest depths of Mississauga, it might as well have been in Windsor !! :mad:

It was worth it though.

-T

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Par- T

Damn, it must have sucked huge to be stuck in the seats!
Oh, there was also a guy from Perfecto, Paul somebody-or-other, spinning when I got there - sounded like 1998, didn't pay any attention.

-T
Too funny!!!

dude I must have been right behind/side you.. I was right up there too..

bucky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by D-Monic
We joked that someone should be here selling Oakenfold T-Shirts... and as we rounded the next corner SOMEONE WAS! I went looking for a Chemical Brothers Foam Finger... but alas, none were found.
and don't forget about the bootleg tshirts and key chains being sold in the parking lot after the show!!

ivezs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bucky

and don't forget about the bootleg tshirts and key chains being sold in the parking lot after the show!!
Anyone buy an extra Chemical brother's tshirt that they want to get rid of ?
email me I'll buy it off ya...caly1256@hotmail.com

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Well, here is my review,

got there pretty early to ensure great location on the floor, worked out fine, took the area in front of the sound system set-up, there was this little ramp that allowed you to see over the crowd perfectly. Didn't want to get crushed my mass of kiddies that were there, ah the joys of all-ages shows :)

Having never seen Oakey live I thought I would be in for a treat. Maybe I'm one of the few that enjoy listening to his tunes. Needless to say everything negative people have been saying about the man is sadly true:( He was hardly there, maybe played 5 or six records, walked onto and off the DJ booth not to be found only to return 5 minutes later. Hand pump and motion to the crowd like some over-acting baffoon. Overall the guy obviously didn't want to be there. Although I did enjoy a couple of the pounding tracks he played. I wish I know what they were, simply so good!! The track seemed scripted to the visual looping movie they were showing, some motion shots of NY City skyline or something, amazing.

Then came the big show. First song the block rock'n beat brothers from the UK seemed to knock out the sound system like a upper cut from Tyson!!! It was loud, Did someone say LOUD! but tolerable given where we were-shaken, move'n and making a dancing scene!! The visuals, lights and sounds made for a sensory supper overload. Every track they seemed to throw down put the crowd into a feeding frenzy, even parents who brought there kids where shaken it. Overall a little pricy, but well worth it. Nice change from the smoke filled DJ club scene.

Par- T

TRIBE Member
dude I must have been right behind/side you.. I was right up there too..
Then I have to apologize for blocking your view with my jumping and for banging into you all night as I tried to dance.
:D

-T

nusty

TRIBE Member
Well everything has probably already been said, But I'm far too lazy to read all of your posts to see if any of you left anything out. So I'm just going to go off and write as if this is the first post in this thread.
As we pulled in to the parking lot I could already hear the humming of the subs inside the heresy center. As we parked and walked closer I could SEE the windows to the place vibrating from the bass inside. This place had a serious sound system! I walked right in with no line (what a nice change) and worked my way to the floor right away.
Oakenfold had already been on for about 20 minutes so I didn't feel as though I'd missed anything. The floor was standing very still for this to be a "party" and right away it was clear this was a concert with electronic guys playing. At first I felt sorry for the people who were stuck in the stadium style seating but then realized later on in the night, many of them were rocking out harder than many of us on the floor. The floor was nice and had enough room to dance if you were willing to move a bit to the back and sacrifice the view.
Okey's set wasn't worth the view of him anyway. He smiled a few times for the crowd and signed one guys sign, but that was about it. It really seemed to me that he was there to lay down the records (That I'd already heard many times before) and then leave with a bunch of our money. I know he's done a lot over the years, but for a "concert" he didn't put on a very good show. The tracks he played were pretty predictable and didn't surprise me at any time. I was defiantly enjoying the tunes by the last half hour of his set and ended up just closing my eyes (since Paul wasn't worth watching). The lighting was obviously high budget and it felt like I was at a pink floyd concert.
During the set up time, I wandered around to see what I could see and ran into the tall guy from Hibernate (sorry, I forgot your name, and I'll return your ticket stubb to you the next time I see you). Then I proceeded to ask random people for their ticket ends so that a few of my less fortunate friends, who didn't make it, could get the reduced prices for the after party at IT.
I wandered back to the front to see roughly a 100grand of electronics being brought on to the stage. This was when I knew the night would be good! I'm a total machine /gear head at heart and my jaw dropped to see that much gear all MIDI sinc'd up!
The Chemical Brother came on and in the course of about a minute or so, they had the place pounding! About a minute after that, they cranked it up a notch and they BLEW the left hand stacks!!!!!! Who does this?!?! It was amazing! Well it sucked, because that’s where I was standing, but it was amazing to see that much speaker go kaputz! I then moved over to the right hand side to avoid the buzzing noise coming off of the left stacks. The rest of the concert was awesome, with the most insane lighting and flash lighting. At times I had to turn around so that the bass could hit my back since my front was already aching. I wasn't a huge Chemical Brothers fan before I came. But I left wanting to buy any live mix of theirs that I could get my hands on!
I left right after the Chemical Brothers ended and head to IT for the after party. When I got there the place was moving well and was met up stairs by a guy in cut off shorts and construction boots wearing a hard hat dancing go-go style on a raised part of the floor. Interesting I thought. Then I found all of my friends I was expecting to meet (who came from as far as Ottawa for the night). After the set which ended at 2am, mach 747 came on for a live PA set and did their trancy break beat thing. The vocals were interesting and the music was good, but the floor seemed to clear. I felt bad for them since there was no way they were going to get many of those people dancing after they just came from seeing the chemical brothers. They just couldn't compare to 100,000$ of machines when they only had (from what I saw), a YamSU700 and few synths with a mixer. The techno set after them tore the place up and by closing time, I had caught a serious second wind (despite only having eaten breakfast). At 4am they asked us to leave, which my friends and I did not really want to do. As we left, we still had music in our hearts and feet and were really up for more. So we headed to System Soundbar to catch another 2 hours of party time before heading for bed.
System was no where close to having the same amount of energy as either of the 2 pervious events and it had to be the music. The music was good, but it wasn't hard and driving, which is understandable for 6am but we wanted to dance our asses off!
This was a night to remember. At 6am my friends and I finally left to go and crash at one of their places at U of T and recall the night that was. We were still wide awake so we walked back and then started up a live pa set of our own working off of a mini system and a few groove boxes. It wasn't the same, so we put them away and went to sleep at 8:30am. All in all, a great night, with great friends. It was well worth the nearly 80$ spent on the night. Thank you Toronto for being a big enough city to accommodate events such as this.
Happy birthday Max!

Dave

Last edited:

nusty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bucky

I got one of these right before he jacked the price up from 10$ to 15$. Rip offs or not, at least I didn't pay the 35$ they were charging inside and they look real enough.

And I saw that crazy howard stern guy going off too! Actually I saw a bunch of them! And I saw one guy up front that looked exactly like on of the chemical brothers. what a weird night.

lilnick

TRIBE Member
Mmm... I forgot to post a response about the After Party until now. I didn't go to the Oakenfold/ChemBro "Concert", but wanted to see John Selway @ IT, since I have been waiting three years to. He played some good tracks but his mixing wasn't anything fantastic. Too bad I could hardly make out the lyrics for Mach 747's live PA cause some of the sounds and beats were nice. Kenny downstairs was the best part of the night by far.

I only really have one word to sum up the rest of the night:

"TACKY"

And I actually paid $15!

:rolleyes: