• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

oak leak steam baths

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
vinder, norm and i were pondering this place....

- it's not in the village.
- it says 'men only'
- it's been there forever
-we've never seen anyone enetering or exiting the building

so does anyone know...is it "that kind of bath house" (I asked vinder to go in and check (since i can't b/c it's men only) but he was being a pussy about it).

p.s.

vinder and norm are placing bets that it IS NOT.

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
Its not.
Searching for a rubber
News / Some bathhouses are ignoring safer sex

story by Vern Smith / Xtra! May 6 1999

Three Toronto bathhouses are falling well short of modern HIV-prevention safeguards, Xtra's spot-check on the city's eight tubs reveals.

The Oak-Leaf Steam Bath - Toronto's oldest bathhouse - was
distributing condoms 15 months past expiration. And the St Marc Spa admits that it's not properly disposing of dirty needles left behind by IV-drug users.

Since the late eighties, bathhouses have routinely provided condoms
to customers when issuing towels and keys. Most also displayed condoms in large candy containers to encourage safer sex.

But Xtra's survey reveals that only The Barracks, The Club, The
Spa on Maitland, and the newly-opened Spa Excess currently make latex available at different points of their respective venues.

"We make sure people don't have to ask," says Excess supervisor
Randy McLinden, noting that the AIDS Committee Of Toronto also distributes race wear on Fridays and Saturdays.

"We have one container at the end of the bar, another at the
entrance, and we give condoms to customers as you enter," McLinden says. "If they want more, they can take more."

The posh Carlton St bath also supplies towels embroidered with
smart pockets, allowing patrons to tote protection from station to station.

Although St Marc's Spa and The Cellar don't sprinkle latex around
their corridors, each customer is handed freebies when entering and more are available for the asking.

But that's not how it always works.

The availability of condoms is becoming more controversial in light of recent reports suggesting that more men are riding bareback.

While all Toronto baths were able to provide condoms when pressed, both westend tubs - Oak-Leaf Steam Bath and Central Spa - failed to provide protection as part of the admission routine.

Central was able to produce a good condom upon request. But Oak-Leaf safes could hardly be considered safe. .

"I hope I've got some," the Oak-Leaf clerk replied after being asked for condoms.

A brief search ensued, then he reappeared and said, "How about three?"

Three would have been thoughtful, except for the fact that two of
the condoms - both Kama Sutra brand - carried expiration dates of January '98.

Following Xtra's visit, Oak-Leaf was asked whether the tub supplies
condoms to customers as part of the admission routine. The answer: "Not really."

When told that expired condoms had been given out at Oak-Leaf, the manager, who would only identify himself as Ivan, said he didn't think it was up to his staff to maintain quality control standards on free condoms.

"I never look at them," he said.

- that guess it is ghey guy :cool:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
When told that expired condoms had been given out at Oak-Leaf, the manager, who would only identify himself as Ivan, said he didn't think it was up to his staff to maintain quality control standards on free condoms.
wouldn't that make them liable if anything bad ever happened? since they technically are providing the condoms?

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
I was under the impression it was more of a bathhouse in the old Jewish guy having a steam tradition (though the operative word there may be "was")

vinder

TRIBE Member
considering the place has been around since forever, i don't think that's what it was originally intended for. i'm sure that's what goes on there now more often then not, but i don't think it's "that kind" of bathhouse.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I rememebr reading an article in the Star about this place. I got the impression they frowned on manlove and this place was primarily for hobos and their ilk.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vinder
considering the place has been around since forever, i don't think that's what it was originally intended for. i'm sure that's what goes on there now more often then not, but i don't think it's "that kind" of bathhouse.

they had "those" kind of bathouses back in the 40's and 50's.

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
Ah, nuts! It was 50/50. :p
up until i found that article, i was with ya on that one. there are no pride coloured stickers or flags around that bath house, so it made it a bit more difficult to determine if it encouraged an open minded environment (read come in here and get some you horny man you).

does all male bath house = come in here and get fucked? or are there bath houses that are just that, bath houses for men to get a good steam bath sans fucking.

- that never been to a bath house guy :cool:

echootje

TRIBE Member
LOL

If you're not smart enough to count on yourself to have safe sex why should somebody else worry about it.

Rob

depraved

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by that 420 guy
does all male bath house = come in here and get fucked? or are there bath houses that are just that, bath houses for men to get a good steam bath sans fucking.

The latter kind of bath house must exist, or the Simpson's episode where Bart & Crusty's rabbi Dad debate the merits of Crusty's career as a clown takes on a whole new twist.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by depraved
The latter kind of bath house must exist, or the Simpson's episode where Bart & Crusty's rabbi Dad debate the merits of Crusty's career as a clown takes on a whole new twist.
HA!

Yourmamas

TRIBE Member
I know the baths are huge in Japan without the man love, but I have never seen one hear.

I assume they exist though

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
I'm soooo glad someone put this up as I have been wondering for years about that spot... it looked to low key and empty to be a "jamming" spot

Thought it was for the old school guys to have a real steam and speek of the old counrty.

I think that someone should actually put together a real bathhouse...I would go and steam and get massages, esp with all the cold weather we been having.

When I was in Japan they had lots of places like this... even the hotels had soaking areas and steam...with the little washing stations when you shower sitting on tha stool.

Wherd.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude
I was under the impression it was more of a bathhouse in the old Jewish guy having a steam tradition (though the operative word there may be "was")
same here, but i was thinking turkish.

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by torontobarfly
technically it's not "that type of spa" but in actuality to about half the guys that go in, it is..........so i hear:p

just the expert i should have pm'd to ask.

PS- where have you been? i miss you:)

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dirt Dawg
I think that someone should actually put together a real bathhouse...I would go and steam and get massages, esp with all the cold weather we been having.

When I was in Japan they had lots of places like this... even the hotels had soaking areas and steam...with the little washing stations when you shower sitting on tha stool.

Wherd.
You heard it here first, RubnTug bathouses for straight guys.

Rob

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by fightingskurvy
just the expert i should have pm'd to ask.

PS- where have you been? i miss you:)
awwwe thanks babe,

i've been home with the flu:(

are you going to the tranceaddcit 4 year party @ tonic??

:)