• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

O Great Tribe - What would you do?

deevah

TRIBE Member
sooooooooooo.........

i've got a co-worker (based here in TO) whose brother (living in mtl) has developed a coke addiction along w/ his 40-yr old stripper gf dying of cancer. The brother has been caught stealing from family members and recently got evicted from his place. The father's dead, the mother refuses to acknowledge her eldest son has a problem. Ontop of all this, the gf is allegedly pregnant and the guy already has a kid from another mishap earlier in his life.

he's thinking about doing an intervention for his brother but it's hard when the bro doesn't have any friends and most of the family has either given up on him or is unwilling to deal with it. To drag the guy to a detox would help in the short term but he can't be in Mtl to babysit.

what kind of advice would you give?
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Put him on Reality TV.

(in all seriousness... it's a long and hard crusade that only your co-worker can embark on since he seems to be the only one who cares)
 

quantumize

TRIBE Member
damn i dont know what i would do. an intervention is something they should at least be willing to try. i'm shocked the family would just give up on him.
 
Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
jesus, that doesnt sound good....hard to have an intervention with only one person

i have a family friend who has been to rehab like 5 times, family is there for her every time and she keeps relapsing, stole my wallet and keys one time when i was convinced to hang out with her cause she was clean....no dice

my cousins are right fucked now too...eldest is on crack, next is on heroin and the one my age is on meth....what the hell.....who gets into that shit in their 30's????

sorry i have no advice...but it looks like he is going to have to have his bro move in with him if he is going to monitor him...good luck
 

deevah

TRIBE Member
ev said:
If he really cares about his Bro he should go himself and give it to him straight.

i think he cares about his bro but yet he's been bailing the guy out all his life....plus the ex-stripper gf is a nuisance and a bitch to boot

the brother doesn't even have a phone now...can't even call
 

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Interventions don't have to be huge.... they can still be effective even when there's only one or two people present. Getting the dood into treatment is the most important thing... as far as babysitting him afterwards it's pretty unusual (from my experience) for a family member to have to do this... the honus is usually put on the addict and, if they choose, the can be supported via sober-living communities, half-way houses, NA meetings, etc. If there's anything I can reccomend it's don't waste a second of time, the sooner you act the better, and the number of people at the intervention doesn't matter... just have the people there that genuinely care for him.
 

deevah

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
but it looks like he is going to have to have his bro move in with him if he is going to monitor him...good luck

he's definitely reluctant to do that
hard to leave your job to take care of your family when you're trying to take care of yourself
he's thinking of a leave of absence - but a month is really all he can afford to take - what happens after that?
 

kyfe

TRIBE Member
ev said:
If he really cares about his Bro he should go himself and give it to him straight.

agreed there isn't much you can do in these situations, addictions destroy families and make honest men liars. Becoming a slave to the drug can only lead to one result.

respect your body and the drugs
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deevah

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
the honus is usually put on the addict and, if they choose, the can be supported via sober-living communities, half-way houses, NA meetings, etc. If there's anything I can reccomend it's don't waste a second of time, the sooner you act the better, and the number of people at the intervention doesn't matter... just have the people there that genuinely care for him.

that's what i said - work even has a personal counselling service thru William Sheppell. I told him to talk to those guys for some professional advice
 

deevah

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
agreed there isn't much you can do in these situations, addictions destroy families and make honest men liars. Becoming a slave to the drug can only lead to one result.

respect your body and the drugs

@ least pick a drug your ho and you can afford

cocaine is a helluva drug
 

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
that's what i said - work even has a personal counselling service thru William Sheppell. I told him to talk to those guys for some professional advice

WS has some great services. Tell your bud to call the hotline and speak to a counsellor for advice.... they'll have a bit more experience on the drug management and recovery aspect of things than Tribe ;)
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I'd end my brother's misery.

like take him to "the farm" so to speak.

tough though. can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.
 

deevah

TRIBE Member
the_fornicator said:
I'd end my brother's misery.

like take him to "the farm" so to speak.

tough though. can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

funny thing is, they DO own a farm out east
when their dad passed away last yr, the brother inherited the property
the FORTUNATE thing is - that property has been tied up in a legal battle b/tw the bro and the step-mom so he can't sell it...otherwise he woulda snorted the 10 acres already
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dig this

TRIBE Member
Someone's only gonna get better if they want to get better, so try and convince the brother with the habit to come to toronto to sort himself out... If he's not willing to take the steps to better his life then there is not much chance for his brother to make him better by going to montreal.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top