• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

NYE@ IKON NYC with Paul van Dyk

nusty

TRIBE Member
My friends and I headed into the chaos that was times sqaure for the ball drop. As we got within 6 blocks of the square we realized there was no way in hell we were going to get anywhere even close without using a helicopter, or lots of ninja ropes. I heard the next morning that estimates for the times square ball drop had crowds in excess of 1.2 million. That said we decided to continue heading up to IKON (formerly EXIT). We get to ikon for about 12:15 and walk straight in. We had a 30 second wait for nice and friendly search that was by far the most professional one I've ever gotten. We then turn the coner into the main room of the club and witness first hand the insanity. The place was rammed to the rafters with people. Everyone had a big smile and seemed to be having a great time but I've never experienced a club so full. After waiting 30 minutes for our first round of drinks (and paying 100$ for them) we headed up stairs to the coat check. I'm really curious why the coat check is not anywhere near the door, but oh well. After fighting through the crowd for another 30 minutes we finally check our coats. I now finally look over at the dj booth smile and start to enjoy the music as we find a nice spot up on the second floor balcony over looking the club and at eyelevel with the DJ booth. Paul van Dyk was playing when we got in and was still playing when we left at about 5:30am and I would not have wanted it anyother way! Set was great from start to finish with some of the most beautiful melodies I could imagine. At one point I looked over at one of my friends to see her eyes closed and dancing, when she opened her eyes tears began streaming down her cheeks.... yeah it was that good at times! The sound system was dialed, not a bad sounding area in the entire club as far as I could find, including the washrooms! And to top the sound off it was very friendly on the ears... after we left none of us had any ringing whatsoever despite it being loud enough to shake me silly when standing still. The decor and dancers were nice, decor was nothing over the top just a few godskitchen banners and flying angel logos around but the dancers we dressed complete vegas style and were all over the place! Lighting was exactly what I would expect from a NYC superclub and did not disapoint.
Now that our NYE was going great it was time for some classic NYC sketchyness. We finally decide to leave (regretefully since the music was great, but our bodies where fading fast since we had been drinking since 2pm). As we go to pick up our coats we're informed that there has been two stabings inside the club down on the main dance floor. We then wait over an hour to get out of the club due to a total lock down and each person who leaves was subject to a complete search, presenting id and being interogated by NYC finest men in blue. As we are waiting for our interogation, my buddy feels multiple attempts at wallet grabs by someone in the crowd behind us but thankfully we had moved the cash and other essentials to money clips held in better protected areas. We finally make it home as the sun is rising up over midtown and we gaze across the Hudson river at the amaizing city sky line as we open my front door and retreat back into darkness for a few hours of sleep.
Happy New Year.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
damn, sorta makes me glad we stayed at crobar...but to see PVD on new years I am sure you would say it was all worth it!!! glad you had sorta good time tho...

oeretS

TRIBE Member
i had to walk from the port authority through times square to madison square garden to meet some friends, and fuck was that ever a madhouse.

saw wilco and flaming lips, they were awesome, then on to crash mansion for the "turntables on the hudson" party, which was also dope.

new york rules btw

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by nusty
My friends and I headed into the chaos that was times sqaure for the ball drop. As we got within 6 blocks of the square we realized there was no way in hell we were going to get anywhere even close without using a helicopter, or lots of ninja ropes. I heard the next morning that estimates for the times square ball drop had crowds in excess of 1.2 million. That said we decided to continue heading up to IKON (formerly EXIT). We get to ikon for about 12:15 and walk straight in. We had a 30 second wait for nice and friendly search that was by far the most professional one I've ever gotten. We then turn the coner into the main room of the club and witness first hand the insanity. The place was rammed to the rafters with people. Everyone had a big smile and seemed to be having a great time but I've never experienced a club so full. After waiting 30 minutes for our first round of drinks (and paying 100$ for them) we headed up stairs to the coat check. I'm really curious why the coat check is not anywhere near the door, but oh well. After fighting through the crowd for another 30 minutes we finally check our coats. I now finally look over at the dj booth smile and start to enjoy the music as we find a nice spot up on the second floor balcony over looking the club and at eyelevel with the DJ booth. Paul van Dyk was playing when we got in and was still playing when we left at about 5:30am and I would not have wanted it anyother way! Set was great from start to finish with some of the most beautiful melodies I could imagine. At one point I looked over at one of my friends to see her eyes closed and dancing, when she opened her eyes tears began streaming down her cheeks.... yeah it was that good at times! The sound system was dialed, not a bad sounding area in the entire club as far as I could find, including the washrooms! And to top the sound off it was very friendly on the ears... after we left none of us had any ringing whatsoever despite it being loud enough to shake me silly when standing still. The decor and dancers were nice, decor was nothing over the top just a few godskitchen banners and flying angel logos around but the dancers we dressed complete vegas style and were all over the place! Lighting was exactly what I would expect from a NYC superclub and did not disapoint.
Now that our NYE was going great it was time for some classic NYC sketchyness. We finally decide to leave (regretefully since the music was great, but our bodies where fading fast since we had been drinking since 2pm). As we go to pick up our coats we're informed that there has been two stabings inside the club down on the main dance floor. We then wait over an hour to get out of the club due to a total lock down and each person who leaves was subject to a complete search, presenting id and being interogated by NYC finest men in blue. As we are waiting for our interogation, my buddy feels multiple attempts at wallet grabs by someone in the crowd behind us but thankfully we had moved the cash and other essentials to money clips held in better protected areas. We finally make it home as the sun is rising up over midtown and we gaze across the Hudson river at the amaizing city sky line as we open my front door and retreat back into darkness for a few hours of sleep.
Happy New Year.

SHUTUP SHUTUP SHUTUP

YOU SAW PVD?!?!?!?

Dave, love of my life, next time CALL ME. I WOULD HAVE COME TO FUCKING NEW YORK YOU DIP SHIT

now check your phone messages ;)

~allie~

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories