• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nutritional HELP!!

JLV

TRIBE Member
okay... I've recently been diagnosed with something called Malabsorption Syndrome which, by definition is "Defective or inadequate absorption of nutrients from the intestinal tract" so....

I've had to completely revamp my diet... no meat, no glutin, no dairy, no caffine, low fat, no oil, no salt... no taste :rolleyes:

now, I've purchased some supplements from good old Whole Foods, but I'm certainly in need of some serious direction, suggestions and receipes.

is there anyone else out there with this disease? anything I can do do help it?

I appreciate any feedback!

thanks!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I have a book at home that could help you... Im at work right now, and I dont recall the title but Ill be sure to dig it out when I get home...

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I used to / still do have problems with absorbing nutrients. Go buy Garden of Life Probiotics. Don't take one round then stop, take them continously.

Last edited:

grounded4life

TRIBE Member
JLV said:
okay... I've recently been diagnosed with something called Malabsorption Syndrome which, by definition is "Defective or inadequate absorption of nutrients from the intestinal tract" so....

I've had to completely revamp my diet... no meat, no glutin, no dairy, no caffine, low fat, no oil, no salt... no taste :rolleyes:

now, I've purchased some supplements from good old Whole Foods, but I'm certainly in need of some serious direction, suggestions and receipes.

is there anyone else out there with this disease? anything I can do do help it?

I appreciate any feedback!

thanks!

I have celiac disease where I can't have any Gluten. It was really rough. BUT... I contacted the magazing of Canadian Living as there was a whole article featuring Gluten free cooking and baking. There's tonns on the interweb you have to really research it though. Also, see a dietician, mine helped out a lot. Eating out isn't so bad anymore as a lot of places can accomodate you. Find out places that specialize in things like this. Carrot Common (suggested to me by someone from tribe) is amazing... I wouldn't know what to do without that place. Seriously though, see a dietician.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
try meal planning, get some cookbooks I have a Jamie Oliver one thats good.. he uses whole foods and its straightforward.. also cook on weekends food to take for lunches during the week.. Eating out when you have food issues is very frustrating and hard, and usually you end up eating what you are not supposed to even when trying not to...

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Look up Vegan eating on google. Find some good recipes. It will seem really tough at first..but in time when you learn to eat and cook a different way. You will get used to. You just need to really wrap your brain around this and kinda rewire your associations with food.

You will need to eat a lot of soy, beans, eggs and nuts in your diet for protein. There are so many things made of soy. tofu, soy meat(fake meat), soy cheese etc..

Good luck.

Last edited:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
What about chicken and deep water fish (salmon, trout etc) you need to eat something!

I dont' think all the "vegan" soy products are particularly any better for you as they are so processed and contain food additives like MSG and whatnot.... Ie the meatless chicken nuggets and all that

Last edited:

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
What about chicken and deep water fish (salmon, trout etc) you need to eat something!

"no meat" usually means that fish is okay... atleast it was for me.

what did your doctor say?

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Also you just need to do a lot of your grocery shopping at health food stores. They are the ones that accomodate this type of diet.

I am not sure where you live...but I recommend Noah's health foods, Ambrosia and the The Big Carrot. In any of those stores they will give you a hand if you just ask. They sell tons of Gluten free products as well as all the soy products and more.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
a good cleanse of your large/small intestines would probally help to get rid of some old sludge sitting in there that hampers nutrient absorbtion as well.

those health food stores usually have good 7 day and 1 month cleansing routines. usually you do one of those then a good liver cleanse to really vamp you up.

theres tons of good food to eat that doesnt contain meat,gluten, fat, dairy or caffine. i just cant recall because im eating a bag of flour as we speak.

good luck.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
geminigirl said:
Also you just need to do a lot of your grocery shopping at health food stores. They are the ones that accomodate this type of diet.

I am not sure where you live...but I recommend Noah's health foods, Ambrosia and the The Big Carrot. In any of those stores they will give you a hand if you just ask. They sell tons of Gluten free products as well as all the soy products and more.
He specified that he went to Whole Foods, which is definitely the best place to shop in Toronto. (organic-related)

JLV

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
"no meat" usually means that fish is okay... atleast it was for me.

what did your doctor say?

yep! fish is fine! he suggested white fish 3 times a week but... no shellfish.

I just bought Ginger Root, Calcium, Magnesium and something called Digest which has Protease Activity, Amylase, Lipase, Betaine, Pepsine, Pancreatin and Papaine as well Peppermint...

is that the same sort of thing??

JLV

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
He specified that he went to Whole Foods, which is definitely the best place to shop in Toronto. (organic-related)

ooh oh, I'm she.

thanks though!

I'm always looking for other places too... Whole Foods is pretty f'n expensive!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
check out kensington.. there are a couple decent ones there (much cheaper than whole foods.. but I wouldn't buy the bproduce or perishables.. here)

Bean

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
I have a Jamie Oliver one thats good.. he uses whole foods and its straightforward..

which one(s) do you have?

we have a few and they're the most convulated cookbooks i've ever seen - long paragraphs of instructions; ingredients embedded in the instructions. also his quanities are outta control - each recipe we've totally had to modify the quantities (reduce them).

re: probiotics: a bit pricey, but worth it imho.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:

She asked for help and advice I gave it to her. Oi.

The places I mentioned are top notch in terms of Organic product as well. I know my stores thank you. I have been eating organic food for 10 years now.

JLV

TRIBE Member
re: probiotics: a bit pricey, but worth it imho.[/QUOTE]

k - computer slang illiterate - sorry - what's imho?

dyad

TRIBE Member
JLV said:
k - computer slang illiterate - sorry - what's imho?

imho = in my humble opinion

in my experience Noah's, the Big Carrot and Whole Foods are all reputable stores with knowledgable staff. I would say its personal preference and convenience that leads people to prefer one over the others. Wherever you do go be sure to ask questions

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
geminigirl said:
She asked for help and advice I gave it to her. Oi.

The places I mentioned are top notch in terms of Organic product as well. I know my stores thank you. I have been eating organic food for 10 years now.
ugh hello?
What's with the organic pickle up your ass?

I never said Noah's is bad, I just said that if you want an entire supermarket with 100000 x times more selections, you go to Whole Foods - after all, you have been eating organic foods for 10 years, you should know that.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
JLV said:
ooh oh, I'm she.

thanks though!

I'm always looking for other places too... Whole Foods is pretty f'n expensive!
woo sowwie! :)

I know it is, and so is Noah - Whole Foods is probably overpriced (many reasons, location, parking, etc etc but if you want selection, that is definitely the place... (fruits, veggies...)
For dried foods (pasta, cans, teas, etc...) Noah is very good.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
ugh hello?
What's with the organic pickle up your ass?

I never said Noah's is bad, I just said that if you want an entire supermarket with 100000 x times more selections, you go to Whole Foods - after all, you have been eating organic foods for 10 years, you should know that.

I said that to you cause you went and corrected my post as though I have no clue what I am talking about.

Not sure what your problem is these days Killalady but your posts are not so friendly. I thought we got along..but perhaps not.