• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nursing Homes in the North

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
You really never know what you can get from tribe, so you might as well ask even the longest shots: we need to get my grandma into a home as close as possibly to my folks. Espanola has one but there's no way to get in there, the waiting list is years long. Anyone know anything about homes in Sudbury/on Manitoulin, that kind of area? We don't want to go as far away as Elliot Lake even though it's retirement central.

i'm finding some stuff just internet searching, of course, but that's just names. any personal knowledge anyone could supply woudl be great, or maybe someone here works in the health industry?

grandma's already pissed as hell at having to go to a facility and having to go north. this is very difficult for my family, so we'd like ot try and get her into the nicest--and closest!-- place as possible.

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
The best I have to offer is Orillia has a large amount of new facilities in the past 5 years built.

My mom used to work for one of the companies, but is unreachable at the moment (down south).

If you can wait a week, I can provide more info for you D.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Rob, Orillia's far too far away. But if your mom knows of any closer any info she could provide when she gets back would be appreciated.

grounded4life, got your pm, responded, and thank you thank you thank you.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
dorianne,

kevin is a social worker at two long term care facilities in the gta...pm him as i'm sure he will be able to point you in the right direction.

:)sarah

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
http://www.ms.ccac-ont.ca/English/services/placement.html

That should gives a list of the facilities in Sudbury, Manitoulin (make sure that you aren't looking at the retirement residences as I think they are included in that list), resources and would be good to find out more info on the facilities you're interested in. Looks like there are 2 Extendicare facilities in sudbury - they are a reputable company. PM me if you have any specific questions, what to look for, etc.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
oh i just finished PMing you, but yeah, i don't have any specific question really: i was trying to get specifics from mom today,but she's as lost as i am. you saying extedicare is reputable helps a greqat deal: that's what we're looking for, somewhere reputable, somewhere nice that can take care of a woman who can barely see, barely walk, and doesn't make any sense anymore.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
sorry about your grandma. Getting someone into a home is more involved than it appears. Especially for the funding, and the type of care required. Your best bet is to talk to someone who works in paliative care.