• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nuit Blanche

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Also I remember in previous years TTC was for free all night long. Last night TTC charged people fares :mad: for the first time for this event and wanted people to buy their special Nuit Blanche TTC passes for $10.50 good until sunrise and for 2 adults.
Scotiabank branded metropasses that you have to pay for... Bahaha!

Liability

TRIBE Member
I took my 1 year old daughter down and had a blast.

Because of my company, I headed down early this year (6:30) which was great for avoiding most of the lines. I decided to keep to a very small geographic region so I was not running all over the place.

Started at Yonge and College. walked down to Dundas square and checked out the chatting with strangers event and met some cool people there.

from there we headed over to Trinity church which typically has some cool things inside. There were protestors outside the building and some scary dudes in swat gear surrounding the church. It was all a performance piece with the interior of the church being occupied by a biological company that was claiming to perform free checks for a new form of virus. There was a great tension between the protestors and the actors from the company. Also included was a number you could call for a message and a creepy text that was sent after we left the event.

From there we hit city hall. there was a cool display in the rotunda and we hit up the museum at the end of the world in the underground parking. It was a really well done exhibit that was set in a really cool environment. I really liked the scope of the exhibit and the pieces were really cool.

On the way out we saw the rave which was conceptually pretty cool. It was an exhibit that was meant to be examined from the outside.

all in all it was a very good time. Unlike previous years, I made sure that we limited our scope and went early to avoid the lines.

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
My nuit blanche consisted of driving by some "art" and then going to an awesome house party, then hitting a park to find an outdoor rave but instead it was just a cop car and a guy with balloons. Hit Nuit Black which was awesome and then came back to house party but then got kidnapped and went home.

Thanks again Watcher! My crew had a blast!

I lost my wallet yesterday in Kensington but I really don't care cause of how awesome this weekend was.

erika

TRIBE Member
Agreed.

The crowd in front of it was also entertaining. There was a large group of people in a pile, just laying there and laughing uncontrollably for 15-20 minutes.
And I forgot the section with the bits of metal scraps laid out, which were so much fun to stomp on :)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
...then hitting a park to find an outdoor rave but instead it was just a cop car and a guy with balloons.
lol Holy fuck.

Did anyone catch Janet Cardiff's sound installation at the Trinity Church at Bloor? I wanna see what people thought and if it was really crowded. Really need to be alone to experience that piece.

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Did the usual attempt to plan but hit stuff along the way.

Loved the Korean Drummers at Trinity.
Broken reassembling robotic chair was crowded but first time in the Gardiner!
The ROM just recycled their luminato exhibit, signs and all feh.
U of T was AWESOME- Psychedelic lcd frogs while the goldberg variations played, crawling tents, outdoor grass people, dark rave truck going around the circle complete with sketchy people.
Downtown was completely nuts, tons of drunk teens everywhere.

Had some sad latin food at scadding court shipping container vendors.

And the full moon beside the cn tower was perfect.

Love seeing Toronto get out and enjoy itself!

The end.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Scotiabank branded metropasses that you have to pay for... Bahaha!
Also I remember in previous years TTC was for free all night long. Last night TTC charged people fares :mad: for the first time for this event and wanted people to buy their special Nuit Blanche TTC passes for $10.50 good until sunrise and for 2 adults.
Incorrect. The metro passes have always been available for roughly the same price, the TTC has never been free, and they are not branded by Scotiabank - they feature the artwork of the event.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Downtown was completely nuts, tons of drunk teens everywhere.
I can see bringing kids earlier in the evening. Quite a few of my parents and friends used to bring their tweens (11-14) out in the later evening (8pm-12am), as it was dark and fun for the kids. I used to run into parents and my students all the time. More of them have chosen to take them earlier on, or not go out at all, due to the amount of drunken craziness and marauding groups of teens they've seen come out recently :(

keline

TRIBE Member
I'm only doing nuit blanche by bicycle from now on, so much better than walking. The exhibits are so spaced out and you have no idea what you're going to get. It's really disappointing when you walk 30 minutes to get to an exhibit, only to find out that it sucks. It's much less disappointing if you can just zip over there, find out that it sucks, and then zip off to the next one. Some of the exhibits were fun, we like U of T (there was some kind of party bus fun fur rave happening in front of Hart House when we got there) and I liked the Xerox dance party too, even though the music wasn't that good. I had lots of fun. Better than all the years before except the very first year.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Incorrect. The metro passes have always been available for roughly the same price, the TTC has never been free, and they are not branded by Scotiabank - they feature the artwork of the event.
Think you are right,but I could have sworn when Nuit Blanche first started back in 2006 one of those years TTC was for free. I didn't care back then because I always used a monthly Metropass. I'm only ranting this time because last month (September) I didn't buy a Metropass and had to do so much friggin' walking on Saturday night. Nobody likes to walk if they've been drinking lots of beers that night. LOL

JamesM

TRIBE Member
you know, on the weekends a 10.50 pass is called a daily pass.. 2 adults..

no special treatment here, unless they splashed scotiabank all over that pass and called it a special "nuit blanche" pass, for a profit.

who cares.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
These days I treat Nuit Blanche night almost the same as New Year's Eve. The TTC is always packed on the blue night bus "vomit comet" or streetcar. Regardless, on both of these nights I've gotten on for free with friends whether TTC made this annnouncement or it was just an urban myth that people didn't have to pay on these drunken nights.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
you know, on the weekends a 10.50 pass is called a daily pass.. 2 adults..

no special treatment here, unless they splashed scotiabank all over that pass and called it a special "nuit blanche" pass, for a profit.

who cares.
What makes it different is the artwork on the pass, as well as it's good until 9am on Sunday -- a regular weekend day pass is only good for that day.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I also remember ttc being free too. I went one year after we went to CZ for a dnb event. Yeah, never wasted my time after that!