• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nuit Blanche 2013

erika

TRIBE Member
So yes, Scotiabank is bad blablabla, the art is this and that blablabla.

Aside from all the jaded kvetching, is anyone catching anything this year?

I want to see the AiWeiwei installation because the smaller size one at the AGO was amazing, and check out what might be around there.

I'm also interested in that Parade concept along University, where the crowd moves and the "floats" stay still.

Anyone have anything that tweaks their fancy?

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Weather sucks so I'm skipping it this year. I'm going to watch the Leafs home opener and maybe a movie after. Also, I'll be watching Miley Cyrus hosting SNL instead of Nuit Blanche tonight! :D

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
Heading out shortly. A few things I want to check out, the Romancing the Anthropocene section especially. And also the food trucks!

This year there seems to be less exhibits and they're all clustered together which doesn't bode well for me avoiding the hordes. Ah well. It's a nice warm night (warmest Nuit ever!) and things will be fine with friends and road booze.

Liability

TRIBE Member
Had a great time last night, weather was threatening but was not bad at all.

We did the parade route from Bloor down to Queen. Great that the scale was large and the outdoors aspect makes it more accessible without having to line up for a smaller indoor venue.

Saw the bicycles at Nathan Phillips and the Toy Protest in city hall, both of which were very cool. By that point (10:30) we had pushed our 2 year old to the limit so we headed home. Good experience overall.

Having a kid has actually improved my experience as it forces me out before the crowds and focuses on bigger more accessible acts.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Scotiabank branding half a million drunk & high people wandering all over the streets is a marketing coup, if you ask me!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Scotiabank branding half a million drunk & high people wandering all over the streets is a marketing coup, if you ask me!
That's precisely what this event is about.

Corporate ownership under the guise of artistic revelry.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Typical jaded geriatric Tribe responses here.

GF and I biked around from about 1-4am.

We haven't missed a year since it started here in 2006.

I dug it. We didn't bother to lock up the bikes and check out indoor exhibits so just stuck to the outdoor ones along Front/King/Queen/Bay/College.

Favorite was Forever Bicyles for sure and the light/sound display on the pedestrian bridge at Front and Portland.

Also dug the mountain of chairs at Queen and Church, was not surprised to see the chairs were all connected with nothing more than zip-ties. I love zip-ties, there is nothing they can't do.

All in all pretty good year. We managed to see most the stuff we wanted to before the rain had us heading home. It was pretty awesome that it was warm for once, some years we've done Nuit bundled up and freezing all night.

I had my monkey lights (google "monkey lights m232") going on my bikes which a lot of people dug, seemed to fit the mood of the night.

Good times, looking forward to next year. Many thanks to our banking/corporate overloards for funding the event.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
We had a surprise birthday party to attend early in the night. By the end of that we were pretty tuckered out, so we caught a few installations at Spadina House, which is close to home. Rather underwhelming but we were happy to go out and to see others enjoying themselves.

The best way to see Nuit Blanche, as we discovered last year, is to go as early as possible. You can see all the art, while it's still in one piece, and be home and in bed by 11 pm.

Saw the Ai Wei Wei exhibit at the AGO yesterday and was blown away. It's amazing how well he has mastered so many different media.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

erika

TRIBE Member
Typical jaded geriatric Tribe responses here.

We haven't missed a year since it started here in 2006.

All in all pretty good year. It was pretty awesome that it was warm for once, some years we've done Nuit bundled up and freezing all night.

Good times, looking forward to next year. Many thanks to our banking/corporate overloards for funding the event.

What he said.

Forever bicycles was amazing. I also enjoyed an installation at a gallery here in the neighbourhood; and loved the magical music machine that was one of the "floats" for the Parade installations on University.

Busy downtown, but a very friendly vibe; maybe because it wasn't so damned cold for a change.

Saw the Ai Wei Wei exhibit at the AGO yesterday and was blown away. It's amazing how well he has mastered so many different media.
And yes to this; he is pretty awe-inspiring, isn't he?

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I had wanted to venture out for NB, and had aimed for a 1am or so time to venture out hoping I'd miss the bulk of the crowds, but what was meant as a mini-nap turned into a full-on sleep and ended up missing it.

NB is fun, yeah - some of the art is bad, but seeing the city come alive at night like that is pretty neat.

I've been out for it a few times (not every year), and just make a point to skip anything with a long lineup to see - and there is usually enough big outdoor/no-lineup needed installations around to fill a few hours of the night. People who hate on it just sound like grouchy jaded people. Wish I had made it out, some of the photos I've seen from the night look pretty neat.