• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nu-Skool Breaks - What not to do?

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
I used to spin breaks back in 96-97, when the Florida stuff was kickin and Vitamin D was only known in Toronto for breaks.

I realise the sound has changed a lot in the past few years and I've spoken with several people on the subject.

What I'm was wondering is, what is acceptable these days when producing breaks, and what is considered cheezy?

Are garage type basslines in?
Is sampling loops ok, or is it all about original drum programming?

Any general rules of what you like or dislike in the sounds coming out these days would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone like Florida breaks anymore?
Are old skool breaks considered passe?
Cheezy?

Is Dj Icey still producing?

Have Freestylerz, Uberzone or Crystal Method crossed the line in your opinion?

I'm still digging Three Blind Mice, and you can't take that away from me.
:D :D :D

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Why dont you have a listen to some of the more recent material and form your own opinion? Didnt relise a sound had to be "in fashion" to be played out.... Myself personally my tastes are all over the place , alot of the time it depends how i feel....thats the beauty of breaks .. its so diverse.. i like to think of it as a spectrum vs a genre. But yeah bass is good :cool:

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Depends....I still love a cheesy breaks tune if done properly.

I've heard some good stuff out of Florida.

I'm all about The Funk. If my butt wiggles to the beat and my ears aren't assaulted by the same sample every 4 bars (that means use samples sparingly, the tune should be able to carry itself) then I'm happy!

Keep it funky up on the floor.....

:)

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Hispeeddub
Why dont you have a listen to some of the more recent material and form your own opinion?
I was looking for some guidance from some people who are educated on the subject. So far, you're failing miserably.

Didnt relise a sound had to be "in fashion" to be played out....
I don't see that posted anywhere in this thread.
Perhaps you see things that the rest of us do not.

Myself personally my tastes are all over the place , alot of the time it depends how i feel....thats the beauty of breaks .. its so diverse.. i like to think of it as a spectrum vs a genre. But yeah bass is good :cool:
WOW.
So you do have an opinion, what do you know.
:p

Thanks for......
Not much.
:D

NEXT!!

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Eclectic
Depends....I still love a cheesy breaks tune if done properly.

I've heard some good stuff out of Florida.

I'm all about The Funk. If my butt wiggles to the beat and my ears aren't assaulted by the same sample every 4 bars (that means use samples sparingly, the tune should be able to carry itself) then I'm happy!

Keep it funky up on the floor.....

See, I like some of what might be considered cheezy too.
I agree, a good tune is a good tune, and if you can feel it then it's great. But what I'd really like to know is from a production point of view, what's going on and what's passee.

A well known Toronto Breaks Dj once told me that the difference between Nu-Skool and Old skool breaks is that the old stuff was cheezy party music, and that the Nu-Skool was more about trying to define breaks as a true style of music.

Or something like that.
:D :D :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmud

TRIBE Member
Using loops as your main beat? = LAME

Why can you not come up with something original yourself? It also sounds much better when that much more effort has been put into it.

I think funky is still around, it's just changed from what you Torontonians think of funky. Funky now is Plump Dj's, Soul Of Man, and other Finger Lickin' style.. Cause truely they are funky.

What I find funny, lets use Lucy's new mix she gave me as an example. It's what I call old funky breaks. Sure the beats and vocal usage is funky. But dudeeeees... There's no fucking bass! Bass is what moves the floor, I seriously had to turn my CD deck to +9 bass to even feel the basslines. I'm not trying to knock Lucy's disc, it was a great disc, and she did a good job. Just lacked any real bass.

Now the newer funky artists as I stated above are using old school flavour with bass, to form a much more full funky feel. Now it's truely funky. It's got all the vibe from the old, and it's added a new dimension on bass.

The florida sound is moving so much towards ELECTRO, really boring bass filled tracks with wimpy snares, and weak ass melody. (this is purely my joke opinion). It's taken over that cheesey florida sound that Icey/Hudia/DJX used to produce. You rarely hear any of that stuff anymore, anywhere.

There's still a small market for the trancey stuff. I too enjoy a good trance break (if it's produced with quality) ie: Luke Chable remix of Ride.

Splitloop still have that fun party vibe, super funky, and full of energy. But their production is top notch verses a lot of stuff i've heard from the old florida producers.

Anyways, these are all just my opinions, and are to be taken with a grain of salt.

ez,
jase.

influenza website

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Ok fair enogh... it just sounded to me like you were looking for some type of "status quo" indcation as to what was "in" these days. How can you define what to or not to do in terms of production/spining when its relative to the individual. Or maybe were just all sheep. It sounded like you were letting the opinions of others govern your interests, if I'm in leftfield my apoliges.

Myself latley i have been really intrigued by the hard ass Cyberfunk sounds, guys like Dj Quest and Mutiny. I first checked Quest a while back , i liked the sound in terms of the bass he was laying down and the direction he was going but it seemed a bit simplistic and funkless. Latley the sound has come around with some top notch production really hard ass in your face beats and big ass basslines but yet a really unique funk to it. Heres a couple good examples.

http://breakz.no-ip.com/dj_quest_-_gravel_muncha.mp3
http://breakz.no-ip.com/dj_mutiny_-_synthetic.mp3

But like i said before overall what i like is totatly dynamic... one minute its hard as fuck darkness the next its mindless funk and cheesy bootleggs, the next its hip hop or dnb..the only real constant for me is syncopation. Cant really stand much 4/4.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmud
Anyways, these are all just my opinions, and are to be taken with a grain of salt.
And a shot of tequilla!

I agree with most of your points there Jason, but I still feel the Freestylers are the epitomy of "Funky Nu-Skool".

Not Raw As F*ck, but "The Freestylers"

They keep the slightly overused drum patterns (Amen, Helicopter, Funky Drummer...etc...etc...) but they throw in those deep punchy basslines that make my rear end shake. I agree though, every track I'm loving right now has wikkid wikkid bass!

Stereo 8 - Can't Stop is a nice example of it. It's not dark, it's not cheesy......it simply kicks ass.

<-----Still rocks out to "Another Homicide" all the time!

(I don't know if I'm making sense...but I'm wired on coffee right now....so I'm just typing as I think)

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Myself latley i have been really intrigued by the hard ass Cyberfunk sounds, guys like Dj Quest and Mutiny.
Breakfasterz 0wn my soul!!

HOLY SHNIKES!!

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter

Why can you not come up with something original yourself? It also sounds much better when that much more effort has been put into it.

I think funky is still around, it's just changed from what you Torontonians think of funky. Funky now is Plump Dj's, Soul Of Man, and other Finger Lickin' style.. Cause truely they are funky.

What I find funny, lets use Lucy's new mix she gave me as an example. It's what I call old funky breaks. Sure the beats and vocal usage is funky. But dudeeeees... There's no fucking bass! Bass is what moves the floor, I seriously had to turn my CD deck to +9 bass to even feel the basslines. I'm not trying to knock Lucy's disc, it was a great disc, and she did a good job. Just lacked any real bass.

Now the newer funky artists as I stated above are using old school flavour with bass, to form a much more full funky feel. Now it's truely funky. It's got all the vibe from the old, and it's added a new dimension on bass.

The florida sound is moving so much towards ELECTRO, really boring bass filled tracks with wimpy snares, and weak ass melody. (this is purely my joke opinion). It's taken over that cheesey florida sound that Icey/Hudia/DJX used to produce. You rarely hear any of that stuff anymore, anywhere.

There's still a small market for the trancey stuff. I too enjoy a good trance break (if it's produced with quality) ie: Luke Chable remix of Ride.

Splitloop still have that fun party vibe, super funky, and full of energy. But their production is top notch verses a lot of stuff i've heard from the old florida producers.

ez,
jase.

influenza website
Thank you for your response.

I like to hear people describe in their own honest words what makes them groove and what makes them cringe.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Ok fair enogh... it just sounded to me like you were looking for some type of "status quo" indcation as to what was "in" these days. How can you define what to or not to do in terms of production/spining when its relative to the individual. Or maybe were just all sheep. It sounded like you were letting the opinions of others govern your interests, if I'm in leftfield my apoliges.

Myself latley i have been really intrigued by the hard ass Cyberfunk sounds, guys like Dj Quest and Mutiny. I first checked Quest a while back , i liked the sound in terms of the bass he was laying down and the direction he was going but it seemed a bit simplistic and funkless. Latley the sound has come around with some top notch production really hard ass in your face beats and big ass basslines but yet a really unique funk to it. Heres a couple good examples.

http://breakz.no-ip.com/dj_quest_-_gravel_muncha.mp3
http://breakz.no-ip.com/dj_mutiny_-_synthetic.mp3

But like i said before overall what i like is totatly dynamic... one minute its hard as fuck darkness the next its mindless funk and cheesy bootleggs, the next its hip hop or dnb..the only real constant for me is syncopation. Cant really stand much 4/4.
No worries.
I just really want to get an idea of where the music is, since I think I knew where it was and I'm hoping to see where it's going.

I appreciate you responding again.

I will check out those tracks and let you know if I'm "feeling" them.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
And a shot of tequilla!

I agree with most of your points there Jason, but I still feel the Freestylers are the epitomy of "Funky Nu-Skool".

Not Raw As F*ck, but "The Freestylers"

They keep the slightly overused drum patterns (Amen, Helicopter, Funky Drummer...etc...etc...) but they throw in those deep punchy basslines that make my rear end shake. I agree though, every track I'm loving right now has wikkid wikkid bass!

Stereo 8 - Can't Stop is a nice example of it. It's not dark, it's not cheesy......it simply kicks ass.

<-----Still rocks out to "Another Homicide" all the time!

(I don't know if I'm making sense...but I'm wired on coffee right now....so I'm just typing as I think)
I always loved Freestylers so it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear you say there are still rocking it.

Speakin of rocking it, what do you guys think about using elements of classic rock in breaks?

I still remember when I picked up the Freestylerz "POW feel the Panic" track with the sample from "Walk this way." I wouldn't say it is a timeless track or anything, but man was it a lot of fun.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
ez,
jase.

influenza website
Odd, cuz I found the last track you put out to be pretty loopy and kinda boring. By loopy, I mean your drum pattern is exactly the same throughout the whole track, no progression except for a few bleeps here and there. I also found it kind of low end heavy. However I really dug your breakdown.

What I love about the new breaks coming out is the progression of the beat, the changeups, the breakdowns. The starting point is never like the end point. Some of the other stuff I find too simple. But that's just my opinion.

*c*

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi

Speakin of rocking it, what do you guys think about using elements of classic rock in breaks?
This seems to be a bit of a trend as of late maybe not classic rock per say but alot of guitar strings and rock n roll elements check some of Adam Freelands recent work as he seems to be the one invoking this trend.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi
[personal opinion] HATE IT! [/personal opinion]

The reason I like "electronica" is because it's so seperate from live Rock and Roll.

It's all created beats and sounds "computery". That's why I love it.

Adam Freeland's stuff bores me to death. Except We Want Your Soul.

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
[personal opinion] HATE IT! [/personal opinion]

The reason I like "electronica" is because it's so seperate from live Rock and Roll.

It's all created beats and sounds "computery". That's why I love it.

Adam Freeland's stuff bores me to death. Except We Want Your Soul.
Yeah i think maybe hes trying to do the same type of thing Fat Boy Slim did in terms of apealing to the lowest common denominator to profit off the music.... althoght i have to say i like a good portion of now and then and think most of it is pretty inovative , inovation in my opinion being the driving force behind the nu breaks phenomena ...... mindkiller rox

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I would also like to add the bridges are unheralded often overlooked keys to a track. A good innovative bridge blows my mind.

*c*

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
One thing that bugs me about Breaks is the "2 breakdown" rule in a lot of tracks lately.

I much prefer a track that starts out and just builds till the beat kicks in....then has an KILLER breakdown....then goes to the end of the track.

I just seem to find the 2 breakdowns break up the songs momentum sometimes.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I just seem to find the 2 breakdowns break up the songs momentum sometimes.
Also makes for shitty Djing. I hate DJs who mix from one breakdown to another to another. *YAWN*

*c*

aki

TRIBE Promoter
I'm getting really sick of the two breakdown thing as well. I find especially when trying to keep a smooth mix going, that first breakdown always causes a shift in the momentum of your mix. It sort of gets in the way if your going for a smooth flow/layering type thing.

However, I'm still a beginner at all this so I may not know what the f@&k i'm talking about.

aki

TRIBE Promoter
so....why is it that the majority of breaks tracks have the two breakdowns?

you don't really see it in other genres as much. or in many cases in other genres the first breakdown isn't as severe. the beat is maintained somewhat and the build is not so in-your-face.

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
When it comes to innovation two procucers that have constantly blown me away are Tipper and Si Begg.. Also Unkle - Eye for and Eye now thats innovation (SENSEi theres another one you might want to check when it comes to strings)

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
It seems the 1st breakdown is used to introduce the main bassline.

You have about 30 seconds to a full minute of intro beats, then you have your first breakdown. Then a bassline kicks in and the track goes for about 2-3 minutes before the "main" breakdown (longer....more intense) starts up. Then the track kicks in full gear until the end of the tune.

It really bugs me.

Aquasky vs Masterblaster don't do this usually, that's why I think their tunes seem more "upbeat" than most breaks tunes. They have the intro but they don't lose the beat and breakdown as much it seems. They just build from the beginning till the beat kicks in.

So much more energy!

aki

TRIBE Promoter

Aquasky vs Masterblaster don't do this usually, that's why I think their tunes seem more "upbeat" than most breaks tunes. They have the intro but they don't lose the beat and breakdown as much it seems. They just build from the beginning till the beat kicks in.

So much more energy!
Exactly why Coffee is one of my favorites this year. Theres a slight pause in momentum right before that wicked bassline drops, but its a really nice even build. No big breakdown to leave you standing there shifting your feet, waitng for something to drop.

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KickIT
Odd, cuz I found the last track you put out to be pretty loopy and kinda boring. By loopy, I mean your drum pattern is exactly the same throughout the whole track, no progression except for a few bleeps here and there. I also found it kind of low end heavy. However I really dug your breakdown.

What I love about the new breaks coming out is the progression of the beat, the changeups, the breakdowns. The starting point is never like the end point. Some of the other stuff I find too simple. But that's just my opinion.

*c*
I think what he meant by loops is using a sample found elsewhere vs programing the drums yourself... Which track are you referring to?