1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nu Funk

Discussion in 'Breaks Room' started by [- FuNKtiOn -], May 21, 2010.

1. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

so the world of nu-funk is blowing up.

Ali B hosts a solid show on Kiss FM (also downloadable through iTunes as "Airpod" podcasts), Rennie Pilgrem is making nu-funk tunes now, and really there are tons of new producers and remixers putting out some great stuff.
    I personally love the nu funk sounds as there are quite often familiar samples and mashups of recognizable tunes which certainly helps with a wider crowd appeal.

so this thread is dedicated to all things Nu Funk. mixes, choons, events, whatever can help get this genre some more notice as Toronto seems to be kinda sleeping on this trend where as the UK, Aussies, and even Vancouver are making some big things happen.

2. [- FuNKtiOn -]

some of my faves from the past while:

Basement Freaks - Something Freaky

(edit: I was hesitant wanting to post this video based on the mp3hash thing but the site is no longer online, so enjoy!)

Kid Stretch - Get Away

Featurecast - Rock Your Body

3. Hipsterave

Hipsterave TRIBE Promoter

you just posted 3 of my favorites.

4. Hipsterave

George of the Basement freaks did a sick remix of the bee gees saturday night fever that is rediculous. I think ill drop it tonight.

5. [- FuNKtiOn -]

yeah Basement Freaks have been on fire lately.

even Theo Parrish is making nu-funk now!!!

6. wakipaki

wakipaki TRIBE Member

7. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

lotta good stuff coming from western canada. DJ Wood, Stickybuds, J-Roc, Audit, and Neighbour are all putting out some huge releases nowadays.

personally, i like the sound but i think it treads a little too much onto well-worn territory... basically it's funky breaks with some more disco, electro, and dubstep influences.

8. wakipaki

wakipaki TRIBE Member

^^ agreed, its great stuff, but wouldn't be calling it anything net new, rather maybe an almagamation of scattered parts into one area that works really well

either way a lot of the djs and mixes are pretty entertaining, especially a lot of the shambles regualars which you named - i would throw bryx in their too not sure if he counts to exactly what we are talkign about though

9. [- FuNKtiOn -]

that is what I like about nu funk.
    it takes all the good elements of other genres and smashes them together into dancefloor friendly party jams, but the sound has such a wide scale that it allows a lot of flexibility in styles and being able to cater to any hour of the night.

10. Hipsterave

I really dig the nufunk as everyone knows. I think its a better term than mid-tempo cause a lot of the "mid-tempo" is really slow or fast. Nufunk is definatley hot and has been for a few years. Lots of great new tunes coming out and many new people are getting on board with acts like beardyman, a.skillz, basement freaks, featurecast, mat the alien etc

11. [- FuNKtiOn -]

this song is just good for the soul.

12. knoledgebass

knoledgebass TRIBE Promoter

Toronto's NuFunk.ca - Your One Stop Funk Source website is planning to upgrade the website and add guest mixes, freedownloads and interviews with your favorite new DJs. We've been diggin' on the NuFunk for years - it's time for this scene to blow up in Toronto.

Any one interested in getting involved in building a community portal please email: jay@nufunk.ca