• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Now Porter wants an even longer runway than first proposed at Toronto Island airport

derek

TRIBE Member
for real AV thinks porter is for travelling elites??? hardly. dude might want to take a flight or two before opening his mouth.

he just continues to say things that baffle me.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Any time I can fly out of the downtown I do. It is very convenient and would be made even more so with the underground tunnel they'll be digging. (Sorry Toronto. You will no longer be known as the city with the shortest ferry ride in the world.)

As long as the new jets do not produce much more noise than the turbo props, this was a great move for Porter and for the city.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
You guys do realize that it isn't just Porter that uses the airport?

Air Canada does too

as well as private and corporate airlines

you can bet they will be using whatever jets are at their disposal.

Porter might use the quiet/clean Bombardier jets, it's highly unlikely anyone else will.

if they build a jet runway near there is will be a noise/air/traffic disaster for anyone that lives remotely near the airport.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
how can they use whatever planes they want?

wouldnt they have to be able to use a runway that short, how many planes are in regular use by Air Canada that would even be able to use the runway that small.

i dont think you can just land any plane ' close ' to that size there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Porter isn't asking to update the Noise restrictions. So any Jets would have to fit the runway length and noise restrictions. I doubt anything Air Canada is flying would work. In fact I would think Porter would see this as a competitive advantage and push to ensure the noise bylaws are not adjusted.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
So they are not asking to update them to allow louder aircraft, they are purchasing quieter aircraft that fall within the existing limits? so it would be to their benefit to enforce the aircraft allowed to land based upon how loud they are, thus keeping other airlines from landing?

dont they have a choice as to which airlines can use the island airport?

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I'm amazed at how Porter makes money. I don't think I've been on a flight that's even been half full. I've only had to sit beside someone once. I've seen AC flights get scrubbed because the plane wasn't half full.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
every time i have flown porter it was free booze and i would say the flights are like 3/4's full for sure. easily my fav airline for flights that are not too long :) i cant wait to snipe a porter flight to NYC to visit my brother in the coming months !
and i LOVE their airport, small quaint, modern. its awesome.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I think it would be very hard for the Airport authorities to maintain a "noise restriction" in place once they build a runway extension capable of handling jets.

So private/corporate jets that want to land at Billy Bishop that can safely land on the new runway will be denied because they are older jets that are too loud?

You really trust that its not going to happen? Of course it will.

If Porter will break a federal, munipal and port authority law and agreement about their being NO JETS at the Island airport, you better believe they orchestrate whatever loopholes to enable to the financial viability of expanding the airport.

If A/C has a jet (regardless of how old and loud it is)that can land at the new runway, you better believe they will try and get landing times and space at Porter.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
every time i have flown porter it was free booze and i would say the flights are like 3/4's full for sure. easily my fav airline for flights that are not too long :) i cant wait to snipe a porter flight to NYC to visit my brother in the coming months !

you realize that "quaint" and "modern" are pretty much the exact opposite of each other, right?

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Yes I have, why do you ask? It is not as convienient but not impossible. Mind you, I wasn't going away for 6 months and had only one suitcase plus a carry on.

Because I did that myself once with two plus carryon at a busy time and swore never again.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Even with carry on only...I often take a taxi or the like back to the airport. Nice to be relaxed before a flight. On the way in...m'eh...I'm too pumped to be in a place with things to do and people to see to care about how shitty the subway is with something to carry.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I think it would be very hard for the Airport authorities to maintain a "noise restriction" in place once they build a runway extension capable of handling jets.

So private/corporate jets that want to land at Billy Bishop that can safely land on the new runway will be denied because they are older jets that are too loud?

If Porter will break a federal, munipal and port authority law and agreement about their being NO JETS at the Island airport, you better believe they orchestrate whatever loopholes to enable to the financial viability of expanding the airport.

If A/C has a jet (regardless of how old and loud it is)that can land at the new runway, you better believe they will try and get landing times and space at Porter.

its disappointing that stipulations cannot be enforced based upon the jets specifications on a whole, rather than whether it can just land/take off from BB airport. if that was the case, making sure that only planes that are actually quiet enough to use the airport would be allowed.

erika

TRIBE Member

All of this.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member

Just booked Billy Bishop to Newark for July! :)

maphi

TRIBE Member
You ever try that with more than a carry-on?

Plenty of times. 2 suitcases + carry on. It's super fast and now they have luggage racks in the buses! Really don't understand why people have a problem with it. Takes less time than going through traffic and it saves you 50 bucks. Also, you get dropped off exactly where you would be dropped off anyway.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member

They are not breaking anything. They have asked the parties involved to amend the current agreement to accommodate the new C Series planes, thus older larger planes in AC fleet would not work.

Some other facts from the presser today.

the new c series planes are almost as quiet as what they currently use.
The new planes have a 6% lower noise level than what is allowed under the Tripartite agreement.

The extended runway is within the current boundaries of the airport

The new planes would take off once in the morning and return in the afternoon, thus not a drastic increase in traffic.

maphi

TRIBE Member
umm..the airport express is $25.60 one way. thats with a 5% online discount. it also takes like 15 years to make it through downtown traffic once you get off the gardiner. if you're taking it to one of the later hotels it can take as long to get from the gardiner to the hotel as it took to get from pearson to downtown.

Wrong "airport express". The TTC has an express bus. Go to Kipling Station, wait 5 minutes, get on bus, in 10 minutes you are at the airport. $3.00.

TTC 192 Airport Rocket Northbound

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
They are not breaking anything. They have asked the parties involved to amend the current agreement to accommodate the new C Series planes, thus older larger planes in AC fleet would not work.

Some other facts from the presser today.

the new c series planes are almost as quiet as what they currently use.
The new planes have a 6% lower noise level than what is allowed under the Tripartite agreement.

The extended runway is within the current boundaries of the airport

The new planes would take off once in the morning and return in the afternoon, thus not a drastic increase in traffic.

see this all seems very reasonable.