• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nov 18 - Richie @ Footwork

acheron

TRIBE Member
So um ya it was pretty good.

Jamie Kidd opened the night, did very well with the volume turned to 5. Crowd enjoyed his contribution, by the time Gaiser rolled in they were well stoked for techno madness. They showed their appreciation by half of them applauding the scrawny sound tech who has a Richie Hawtin combover, thinking he was the Reich himself. Halfway through Geiser's set, which was turned up to 9.5, it was clear that many in the crowd thought HE was Richie Hawtin. I looked over the shoulder of one of the many texting kids in the audience (about 1/3 were trying to take photos of the dj booth with their cellphones, 1/3 were dancing and the last third were texting their mates) and saw her writing RICHIE KILLS THE NIGHT well maybe but he's on on the decks yet dear child.

Anyways Richie shows his face and the knowledgeable (or newly so having sorted out their confusion once all three, Richie, Gaiser and the Scrawny Sound Tech were all in the booth at once) in the audience went a little bit more nuts. The handoff was clean and Rich turned it up the final 1.5 notches and we were off for a couple and a half hours of dirty yummy techno beats. Rolling merrily along I caught only one minor slipup... a miscue that was quickly rectified by the nanohawtins in his custom Allan & Heath. A swell time had by all I suspect, save for one girl at the back who was crying uncontrollably, unable to be made right by her friends or the largish bouncerbot who stood over their little puddle with a flashlight helpfully shone in their faces to make sure she was crying and not actually attempting to pour liquid acid in her eyeballs.

Kudos to the merch girl who was only too happy to sell me a t-shirt and a button. Reasonable prices too. I'd like to thank the makers of Rockstar for keeping me going - back and forth to the washroom which became a bit of a tetris game.

Footwork is small! Never been before. Nice tight space. Kinda small for Richie though, who could play the Nuremberg Rally.

technics1200:D

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Gaiser was great, Hawtin was even better. I'm not huge into techno, but my GF loooooves Richie, so was good to see him. Better set than his Mod Club set a few years back, imo.

The experience overall went off quite well. I was somewhat dreading this knowing what Footwork can be like when it's rammed to the tits. I thought it was going to be a zoo and an uncomfortable night but we did it proper - got advance tickets, got there early, lineup at 10:45 for ticket holders was zero, for non-ticket holders it was like 50 people deep, got a bunch of drinks before the bars become nuts and got spots right at the front speakers. The sound was solid, glad that despite it being pacccked people were pretty respectful/not too mangled. Although being right at the front and sheilding my gf from the surging masses behind reminded me of being at a concert. Next time put Hawtin in the Guv, where people could have room to dance.

Only wish it didnt start so late, Gaiser didnt even come on until 12:30, we left at 2:45 during Richie's set and it was getting better and better, last 30 minutes were bloody great. Now at work and kind of exhausted.

Also, people stop trying to take photo's of the DJ with your shit cell phone camera, I tried once and quickly realized the place was to dark and it was fucking pointless.

Highlights were the morons who were yelling "Richie Hawtin" at Gaiser, LOL. But even better was the clown who climbed right to the front next to us and was holding a CD and a marker up to Richie trying to get him to sign his shit. Fuck Dude, Richie is at work right now, he's not looking up from his laptop for 98% of the show, he's got zero crowd interaction, he's not going to sign your shit, he's busy, you asshat.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I'd like to thank the makers of Rockstar for keeping me going - back and forth to the washroom which became a bit of a tetris game.
LOL,

so fucking true.

Downed two double vodka and rockstars early in the night and had to piss 3 times an hour thereafter. That shit is brutal on the bladder for some reason. You think you piss it all out, doing the snake through the crowd back to dance and 10 minutes later more Rockstar decides it wants to exit.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PAUZE

TRIBE Promoter
Acheron's review summed up the night nicely. Great vibe, great crowd and amazing music from beginning to end.

Jamie played a perfect opening set for the club. Not too hard in the beginning but finished it off with some sick bangers.

Thought Gaizer's set was a bit mellow but that could just be me. He played what I thought was a live pa out of his laptop and it was effective but not what I was expecting from such a high caliber guy.

Richie came on and solved all of my issues with some serious pounding beats from beginning to end. Great programming and effects use. He really knows how to work Traktor to it's fullest, layering and blending with such incredible flawlessness.

Really wished it could have been a bit later. I stayed until the end and was hoping for an encore. Guess footy wasn't able to run later than 4 on a Thursday. :(

All in all great party and I hope they sort him out with another gig in a bigger venue very soon. He rarely plays here and it would be nice to see some of our Canadian born talent sooner than every 2 years.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Had a great night, will write a longer review later. About halfway through Gaisers set I was losing my shit and thinking "jesus, Hawtin isn't even on yet and I'm having an awesome time"

All around a great night out - needed a night like that. Def didn't feel like a Thursday

kaniz

TRIBE Member
So, an attempt at a coherent review after not just waking up.

I had been looking forward to this party for awhile, but tried not to let myself get too hyped up – last few times I’ve been super hyped for a party, it’s been a bit of a let-down, or an “OK” time but not anywhere near my expectations.

I’ve caught Richie in Toronto a few times, and they have all been OK but not Amazing (although I did really enjoy him at Kabin a few years ago), but never a big fan of the venues he’s played at, and I’ve passed up seeing him when he’s played at the Guverment, so I was pretty excited to see him playing in a club that I actually enjoy.

Still having a bit of a sour-taste from the lineup situation at Ricardo in my mouth, I was a bit worried about lineup issues/etc, but figured I had advance tickets so it shouldn’t be too bad. I arrived at around Midnight. There was no wait in the ticket holder line, and was smoothly ushered inside, few minute wait in the Coatcheck line – and Jamie Kidd already had me dancing and wishing I had arrived a little bit sooner. I guess I got there just as he was kicking things up a notch, and he had me moving in no time.

Shortly after Gaiser came on and things started to swing into full-on techno gear, and you could tell that quite a few people did mistake him for Richie for a minute. I haven’t listened to anything by Gaiser in ages, so most of what he was playing was sounding new/fresh to my ears. The dance floor was starting to get moving and he set the stage nicely for Hawtin. At one point during his set I found myself thinking ‘This place is already going off, and Hawtin isn’t even on yet’.

Footwork was pretty packed – even when I first got in, but at no point did I feel like it was overcrowded or sardine like. I could always find room on the dance floor to dance, the crowd wasn’t super pushy, and the bar tenders moved fast – I rarely waited long for a drink, and the overall vibe/environment was great. Music was tops, crowd was into it and not pushy, and the club itself was running smoothly.

Finally Richie Hawtin came on, and IMO – played a pretty great set. He played a wide range of tracks, from some harder-than-expected bangers that had me losing my shit on the dance floor, to some really crazy weird stripped-down minimal stuff that simply had me standing there gob-smacked with a big smile on my face. I think it was at around 3:00am or so he played this one track that was just this weird bass-sound that he filtered/tweaked a bit (wasn’t even a beat or anything), but the bass sounded great and the reverberations of the track tickled me in all the right ways – gave me chills and a big-ass grin on my face.

There were points near the end of the set where I was very much in my “happy place” dancing – like a katamari-ball of awesome. I’ve seriously had a week or two from hell recently and have been feeling on-edge, and getting out and dancing like this was just what I needed. Ended up leaving just a bit before 4am – the place was still rammed, but it sounded like he was starting to wrap up his set. Was nice to have an amazing night out, and still be home and in bed at a reasonable time (god I’m getting old).

Since he’s on tour to promote his Arkives release, I was hoping he’d touch on some of that headier-deep Plastikman sound, and I think he did – his set hit most of the right spots for me, and probably one of my favorite times seeing him play in Toronto.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
He played until 4? Amazing.

I'm sure it's nice to be a DJ without a day job and the regular schedules that 90% of your audience has to keep. Unfortunately it's a Thursday night. Why the hell could Gaiser not have come on at 11:30. And Hawtin on at 12:30? Headliners coming on at 1:30 on a weeknight is balls.

krosum

TRIBE Member
Akrives tour without any plastikman tracks.

Thats my review.

Seen Richie too many times to think this was epic. It was OK for hawtin, he is capable of much much more.

It was fun.

maphi

TRIBE Member
Akrives tour without any plastikman tracks.

Thats my review.
You weren't paying attention! He dropped snippets of tons of classic tracks, they were just cleverly hidden within everything else that was going on.

sianspherica said:
Next time put Hawtin in the Guv, where people could have room to dance.
I could not disagree more. The Guv is hell on earth. I hate it there, 99% of Richie fans hate it there. It's a treat seeing him in a small venue, and the unfortunate reality is that there are no good big venues in this town. Last time I broke my "no Guv" policy was to see Richie there a year or so ago, and it reinforced to me how much of a disaster that place is.

desklight

TRIBE Member
So, an attempt at a coherent review after not just waking up.

I had been looking forward to this party for awhile, but tried not to let myself get too hyped up – last few times I’ve been super hyped for a party, it’s been a bit of a let-down, or an “OK” time but not anywhere near my expectations.

I’ve caught Richie in Toronto a few times, and they have all been OK but not Amazing (although I did really enjoy him at Kabin a few years ago), but never a big fan of the venues he’s played at, and I’ve passed up seeing him when he’s played at the Guverment, so I was pretty excited to see him playing in a club that I actually enjoy.

Still having a bit of a sour-taste from the lineup situation at Ricardo in my mouth, I was a bit worried about lineup issues/etc, but figured I had advance tickets so it shouldn’t be too bad. I arrived at around Midnight. There was no wait in the ticket holder line, and was smoothly ushered inside, few minute wait in the Coatcheck line – and Jamie Kidd already had me dancing and wishing I had arrived a little bit sooner. I guess I got there just as he was kicking things up a notch, and he had me moving in no time.

Shortly after Gaiser came on and things started to swing into full-on techno gear, and you could tell that quite a few people did mistake him for Richie for a minute. I haven’t listened to anything by Gaiser in ages, so most of what he was playing was sounding new/fresh to my ears. The dance floor was starting to get moving and he set the stage nicely for Hawtin. At one point during his set I found myself thinking ‘This place is already going off, and Hawtin isn’t even on yet’.

Footwork was pretty packed – even when I first got in, but at no point did I feel like it was overcrowded or sardine like. I could always find room on the dance floor to dance, the crowd wasn’t super pushy, and the bar tenders moved fast – I rarely waited long for a drink, and the overall vibe/environment was great. Music was tops, crowd was into it and not pushy, and the club itself was running smoothly.

Finally Richie Hawtin came on, and IMO – played a pretty great set. He played a wide range of tracks, from some harder-than-expected bangers that had me losing my shit on the dance floor, to some really crazy weird stripped-down minimal stuff that simply had me standing there gob-smacked with a big smile on my face. I think it was at around 3:00am or so he played this one track that was just this weird bass-sound that he filtered/tweaked a bit (wasn’t even a beat or anything), but the bass sounded great and the reverberations of the track tickled me in all the right ways – gave me chills and a big-ass grin on my face.

There were points near the end of the set where I was very much in my “happy place” dancing – like a katamari-ball of awesome. I’ve seriously had a week or two from hell recently and have been feeling on-edge, and getting out and dancing like this was just what I needed. Ended up leaving just a bit before 4am – the place was still rammed, but it sounded like he was starting to wrap up his set. Was nice to have an amazing night out, and still be home and in bed at a reasonable time (god I’m getting old).

Since he’s on tour to promote his Arkives release, I was hoping he’d touch on some of that headier-deep Plastikman sound, and I think he did – his set hit most of the right spots for me, and probably one of my favorite times seeing him play in Toronto.
thanks, nice review. I was too poor and had to be up too early to make this show but reading about it makes me feel better

acheron

TRIBE Member
You weren't paying attention! He dropped snippets of tons of classic tracks, they were just cleverly hidden within everything else that was going on.
yes! I noticed that too. I kept thinking, hey wait a minute... nicely done.

grit

TRIBE Member
that was average hawtin AT BEST. WAAAY too pounding for my liking, lacked depth, intricacy and warmth in a big way - and he knows it! the final 30 minutes shit got abstract.....that's about 2 hours too late.
nothing more annoying than when dj's wait to the last 1/4 of their set to get good.

whatever, i'm more than used to international dj's not givin a shit when it comes to T.O. - as accurately noted by someone in the villalobos thread. this aint new news.

PAUZE

TRIBE Promoter
I don't know if you will ever see "awesome or old school" Hawtin again, unless he plays a live pa. His deal these days is playing on Traktor with four decks. What I heard on Thursday was pretty similar to all of the sets he's played for quite some time now. I believe that there isn't as much depth as his productions but I really like the repetitive mechanical style that he throws down so I'm not bothered.

When was the last time anyone heard something impressive by him? Maybe his newer Plastikman live pa?

GoldieLocks

TRIBE Promoter
The last time I saw Richie Hawtin was in Montreal about 5 years ago at Picnic Electronic. I wish I could have been there on Thursday night. Hopefully he comes back to Toronto soon.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
I don't know if you will ever see "awesome or old school" Hawtin again, unless he plays a live pa. His deal these days is playing on Traktor with four decks. What I heard on Thursday was pretty similar to all of the sets he's played for quite some time now. I believe that there isn't as much depth as his productions but I really like the repetitive mechanical style that he throws down so I'm not bothered.

When was the last time anyone heard something impressive by him? Maybe his newer Plastikman live pa?
Yeah I agree, a lot of the crap that has been put out on minus in the past 5 years has lacked depth. Boring, predictable, souless same old same old.

I did see him at Movement this year as plastikman - it was cool, but shit at the same time, fights on the verge of breaking out because there were too many wankers... blah

The last time i saw him and really enjoyed him was a few years ago at a Movement after party in the basement of Oslo.. total darkness, one strobe light at the front. That is how i like to see Richie.. not in some g-hole of a club or a mega-fest nearly being suffocated by idiots.
But everyone has their preference.

And good for Richie and all his success :)

erika

TRIBE Member
that was average hawtin AT BEST. WAAAY too pounding for my liking, lacked depth, intricacy and warmth in a big way - and he knows it! the final 30 minutes shit got abstract.....that's about 2 hours too late.
nothing more annoying than when dj's wait to the last 1/4 of their set to get good.

whatever, i'm more than used to international dj's not givin a shit when it comes to T.O. - as accurately noted by someone in the villalobos thread. this aint new news.
You should have come to tensnake ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

grit

TRIBE Member
yeah you're right erika. nothin' beats slow four on floor funk-house!! rare to hear. most are nervous of clearin' the floor with it.

regarding hawtin - it sure is unfortunate for ALL involved that he doesn't play 'old skool' anymore, cause imo, he use to do shit sonically that no one else was doin' - or even knew how to do!! that's why he became who he became.

maphi

TRIBE Member

Sadly, I agree. I thought Gaiser was amazing and had me really pumped to see Richie. Unfortunately I was really bored of Richie until the last half hour when he got nice and deep and experimental, then it was over... Too bad, so sad.. It was still good to see him in a small venue though. He is the reason I got into electronic music oh so many years ago. I'm happy for his success as well, just wish he would play with the crowd a bit more instead of do his whole superstar DJ thing.

Mattyson

TRIBE Promoter

I disagree with the part about DJs not giving a shit when they play in Toronto. I seriously doubt top DJs/Producers have a vendetta against this city. I equate it to this: Your favorite band/DJ makes a killer debut record and earns the finacial/artistic freedom to explore different sounds. Their follow ups are often met with poor reviews because 'it wasn't the blue album' or 'it was nothing like his old plastikman shit'.

I have personallly seen Richie play many times and often his DJ sets and live PAs are fairly similar to each other. I think it's refreshing to hear an old favorite play some new material.

I wansn't in the house, but I'm sure he was awesome!

krosum

TRIBE Member
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNaGbnSxKqY[/YOUTUBE]

this is what I wanted to see.

but instead i saw something fairly boring.