• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nouveau Douglas Coupland book jPod

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
it has lego on the cover.
i heart doug.
now i won't want to do any cleaning tomorrow, i'm just gonna wanna read it.

my review of this book will be written in DouglasCouplandSpeak.
"a lethal joy ride into today's new breed of technogeeks, JPod updates Microserfs for the age of Google."

"Ethan Jarlewski and five co-workers whose names start with J are bureaucratically marooned in JPod, a no-escape architectural limbo on the fringes of a massive Vancouver game design company.

The six workers daily confront the forces that define our era: global piracy, bonheaded marketing staff, people-smuggling, the rise of China, marijuana grow ops, Jeff Probst and the remnants of the burst tech bubble of the ninties.

The JPod universe is amoral and shameless."

just reading the inside of the cover is a hoot.

A HOOT!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
This is the first thing I'm picking up after I get back from NYC. I love me some Coupland, and this one seems very much in the vein of Microserfs, which, IMO, is some of his best work.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
got this to read on the plane next week. He devotes at least 10 pages to counting off pi. Gotta love Coupland.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
nice. i was at the library yesterday and stumbled upon a novel by nick hornby which somehow slipped past my radar until now. now with the new coupland, i will have 2 new novels to read by 2 of my favourite authors! hip hip hooray!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hornby's got some pretty good nonfiction stuff and a ton of short stories too, if you can find them BB. He pops up pretty often in my McSweeney's collections.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I read it on the plane back from Rome on Tuesday (took all of 4 hours or so), great read and highly recommended for Coupland fans. One of the most interesting/strange parts has to be that Coupland himself is a character in the story... I won't spoil it though. :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
Hornby's got some pretty good nonfiction stuff and a ton of short stories too, if you can find them BB. He pops up pretty often in my McSweeney's collections.
yeah i've read some of his non-fiction, and enjoyed it just as much as his novels. i love the idea behind the polysyllabic spree.

ian

TRIBE Member
Poker Face and I went to go see him speak after Harvest Festival two years back. . . I think we had not slept. . . anyhoo. . . his mike was broken so we couldn't hear him and I think we ended up falling asleep with our heads touching. So cute. I fell in love with Lee a little more that day.

That's my DC story. Oh, and I have all of his books.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
yay the Kevin Smith of literature!

Hehehe, well said.

He is entertaining, but the characters in his books are too similar. Makes me feel like I'm reading a series rather than a novel. Still, entertaining.

xsre

TRIBE Member
Just finished reading JPod and I loved it. Vintage Coupland with an updated Microserfs feel. I could've done without the 25 pages dedicated to pi, bit otherwise entirely entertaining.

Ethan/Kaitlin = Dan/Carla
Steve = Ethan
And other characters are surprisingly similar. And the desire to be one-point-oh, etc. But I loved Microserfs, so it all works out.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Not a bad book, but not amazing either. When I got to the last chapter of the book I was a bit 'meh, its done soon', where in his previous works, I always dreaded the last chapter because it meant such an amazing story with great characters that I had grown attached to was comming to an end. With this one, was 'oh, its over, ohwell'